Thread: ACV for coloured hair, and other questions

Length
    17"/19"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default ACV for coloured hair, and other questions

Hi there, I'm trying shampoo & conditioner bars and in researching, at least one of the brands said you could/should do an ACV rinser after.

My hair is naturally dark with a little grey and is now coloured reddish (Herbatint). Is it safe to use the ACV every time I wash (every 3-4 days)? Or should I steer away from it altogether since my hair is coloured?

Also, it's a long time since I did ACV rinses, and couldn't remember if it should be rinsed. I did an ACV rinse today because I thought it might help my hair respond to the bars, as some info I've read said that users found using S&C bars took a couple of weeks for the old product to get fully removed. I thought it didn't need to be rinsed and it looked pretty ratty

I'm using 2 TBSP in 2c. water. I read in an old thread that it can give hair red highlights...which I guess is good since it's coloured red...but I'm concerned about the lack of control of the colour quality and don't want it to cause damage (if it actually does - maybe it's not an issue). I've seen that some opt for white vinegar, and a few people do wine vinegar to help the colour, but I'm not sure if they started with virgin hair or coloured. As an aside, I'm in a soft-water region.

After it dried (hopefully I didn't do damage!!) I re-soaked it to give it a good rinse, and followed up with the conditioner bar only. Now it looks like it has for quite some time, after regular bottled S&C. So, not ideal (kind of frizzy, but it's usually like that even with leave-in). The experiment continues, so I'm hoping over the next few weeks it'll look better.
    Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics

Length
    waist/TB/long

Default Re: ACV for coloured hair, and other questions

I have never heard of vinegar causing any problems with colored hair. I used ACV years ago and then switched to white vinegar because it had less of a vinegary smell. Later I switched to citric acid powder mixed into plain water and I like it the best, as it has no smell at all! As with the vinegars, I learned that I did not need to rinse the citric acid out. Both left my hair clean and shiny, and the vinegar smell did not remain in my hair back when I used vinegar.

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Vinegar is needed after to restore the pH-balance in the scalp and hair. Almost all shampoo bars have a pretty high pH. So I wouldn't skip that part and if anything affects your hair colour, I would suspect the bars before the vinegar rinse.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    17"/19"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I have never heard of vinegar causing any problems with colored hair. I used ACV years ago and then switched to white vinegar because it had less of a vinegary smell. Later I switched to citric acid powder mixed into plain water and I like it the best, as it has no smell at all! As with the vinegars, I learned that I did not need to rinse the citric acid out. Both left my hair clean and shiny, and the vinegar smell did not remain in my hair back when I used vinegar.

Thank you for the info and for taking the time to reply!

Length
    17"/19"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

TatsuOni , interesting insight, thanks for that info!

The real question is probably whether your hair can tolerate using shampoo bars without an acidic rinse after, since "just don't use an acidic rinse" may not be an option for you (it works for some people. It doesn't work for others-- possibly the majority, though we'd probably need to do an actual poll to get any sort of idea). In which case, if you feel the rinse affects your hair in ways you don't like, the answer is "giving up shampoo bars," unfortunately.

I rinse my hair well after the vinegar rinse (and if I use conditioner, I do the vinegar before conditioner and then condition), with no ill effect that I can see. I definitely can still get a vinegar smell... probably not so much when my hair is dry, but heaven help me if my head sweats during a workout or I'm caught in the rain (IOW, if my hair gets damp again). Then it's quite strong (at least to me; not sure about other people; you can't really go up to people and say, "do I smell like vinegar to you?" unless you're quite close with them!). (Maybe I need to try white vinegar, though. To me, white vinegar, at least in the bottle, has a *stronger* smell than ACV...)

I'm not sure if there's any effect on my henna'd hair... it would probably be subtle/gradual enough that I might not notice, and could possibly also be attributable to simple henna fading anyway.

(Someone mentioned ACV rinses possibly turning hair reddish. In my experience, it doesn't seem to, but maybe my hair is too dark to notice the effects or something. I once knew someone who was convinced ACV rinses would keep hair from turning gray, or maybe it was fix gray hair... well, I use ACV rinses about once a week now that I use shampoo bars and nope, the sparklies still show up in my roots between henna applications, and stay that way until dyed...)
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I've done some experimenting with vinegar rinses on my hair (layered with years and years of henna) and never noticed a change in color.