Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How long does it take from your hair to get dry after wash when you air dry it?

Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Default Re: How long does it take from your hair to get dry after wash when you air dry it?

It’s my wash day, I will pre-poo with hot oil treatment, I’m going to actually time it this time.

Edited
    Less than an hour because I shampooed three times and sat directly in front of the fan.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; August 14th, 2022 at 10:35 AM.
    100cm 1b/C/9.8cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: How long does it take from your hair to get dry after wash when you air dry it?

Around 3-4 hours for me in the summer, I blot the hair gently with a very absorbent towel after washing and then just air dry.
    Then again if I dry it outdoors and here's a breeze it's done in half the time.
    In the winter it takes longer, 1 -2 hrs more.

Length
    APL/TBL/Long
    Type
    2a/M/iii

12+ hours! I got a hair dryer and end up using it often because it takes so long.

Length
    BSL/CL/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

3 hours in summer and 6 in winter. I use a hairdryer from November to April. Not more than 20 minutes (I alternate low and medium heat) and then it takes 3 hours to air dry.
    Classic length
    43 inches/109 cm

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Depends on if I walk outside into the dryer or not. 15-30 minutes if I go out, an hour or so if I stay in. Of course, if I put it up damp, it will stay damp for many hours. Longer in winter, of course.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Short/MBL/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I was thinking about this the other day

When i kept my hair short (#2 or #3 fade into less than an inch in top), my hair was dry within minutes. Now, at APL it takes around an hour and a half (based on an hour commute and rough times from when i exit the shower to hitting the road, and after I’m at work). I usually let my hair stay loose when I’m air drying rather than putting it up

So this got me to thinking about how much length plays into dry time? Longer hair has more surface area which leads me to think it would take more time, but I’m sure there’s a point where further increasing length has diminished returns on the time to dry

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./63"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Depends on if I walk outside into the dryer or not. 15-30 minutes if I go out, an hour or so if I stay in. Of course, if I put it up damp, it will stay damp for many hours. Longer in winter, of course.
    Haha, how's the dryer these days, cold (low heat) and wet here
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    Haha, how's the dryer these days, cold (low heat) and wet here
    Pretty wet here, but still hot enough to suck the moisture out of hair in a jiffy!

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LongLocke View Post
    So this got me to thinking about how much length plays into dry time? Longer hair has more surface area which leads me to think it would take more time, but Iím sure thereís a point where further increasing length has diminished returns on the time to dry
    I think you're right in that hair is also tapering with length, so the last foot of my ends doesn't really add that much in terms of surface area and thus drying time.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Ankle/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Last time I fully airdried during the day was for a hair typing, so I didn't touch it, and it took over 6hrs in summer (but relatively cool summer, might not have even been above 20℃). That was a few years ago though. I airdry overnight so I don't know how long it takes now, and obviously with fluffing / moving about it would be quicker than not touching it.

A few times over the past several months I've been up for 3-4hrs after washing before going to bed, and I would say it's about half dry by then. When I scalp wash it still takes 2+ hours even in proper summer, with fluffing and trying to help it along.

Quote Originally Posted by LongLocke View Post
    So this got me to thinking about how much length plays into dry time? Longer hair has more surface area which leads me to think it would take more time, but I’m sure there’s a point where further increasing length has diminished returns on the time to dry
    To a point, yes, but once extra length no longer significantly affects how the hair moves and how air circulates in it, I don't think it makes any further difference. Then also hair starts to thin out at much longer lengths, with those thinner lengths drying quicker than the thicker bulk anyway.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness