Thread: Looking for hair fork recommendations

Default Looking for hair fork recommendations

I found this forum many years ago but mostly just lurked and tried to soak up all the information. My hair has always ranged from APL to WL, but back then I couldn't afford much of anything and just did a lot of messy buns (elastics and bobby pins I'm afraid) and side braids. Now I'm dipping my toes in the water (okay, trying not to jump in the deep end because $$) of hair toys. I'm currently around BSL and can manage the cinnamon bun, disc bun and lazy wrap bun. So far I'm liking a functional prong length of around 4", and with one exception, my hair won't stay with only one stick. I'm still working out prong shape and width. I have a 2 prong Alpenlandkunst for that has a very small space at the end between the prongs and I can't get that one to work at all. 😞 I love natural wood, but I think I need to expand to more water resistant woods so I have something I can wear if it rains. 😅 So far my best fits have been Finny from Baerreis for the LWB (and it's so cute), and the three prong "Smart" fork from Alpenlandkunst (also the spiral stick). I've tried Nautilus from Baerreis but it's breaking hairs no matter how I wrap my hair or change my insertion technique. Luckily her customer service is stellar! It's disappointing though because it's so beautiful. I would love some suggestions on what to try next! So many makers are not in business anymore. I've looked at some like 60th St and I'm nervous to try something that might not work at that price... Also I can't decide if I should try 2, 3 or even 4 prong. Just when I think I've decided I find more action shots of 4 prong forks or whatever and I'm right back where I started! 😆😅 Anyway, I'd love some guidance for what to look for in Etsy, or what to keep my eyes open for on the swap board to try. I don't think I can post pictures yet. Apparently I need to stop lurking so I can do that. 😂

Length
    18/28/42
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Looking for hair fork recommendations

SandraMel has decently priced forks with nice designs! She was the first person I ever got hair forks from. MDWoodenArt is also terrific and has good customer service. Those are the cheapest ones I can think of. I wish you the best of luck with your search and hope you find something nice!

Thanks for your reply! I actually did order a few to try from MDWoodenArt, but I'm not sure how long the shipping will take. I got one 2 prong and two 3 prong. I'm really hoping that I made good choices.

Length
    18/28/42
    Type
    1a/M/C/ii

When I got mine, it was pretty quick! Shipping took about two weeks from Lithuania to the US. I hope yours come soon!

Length
    CBL/18"/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i

I've fallen out of touch with many makers the last few years since losing all my length....however I will say, if you do invest in a 60th St fork, those are fantastic forks. A 3 prong would probably be great. They're so silly smooth and well made imo, they're fantastic to have.
    If you want to ever venture from wood, acrylic forks are great, or the metal ones like from Over The Hawaiian Moon.

I'd love to try an acrylic fork, but I can't seem to find them! Sticks, yes, but not forks. I can find some resin forks, but my understanding is that they aren't the same thing. The resin forks are absolutely beautiful, but they are expensive also and I'm worried about yellowing with time. I might need to find the maker's threads again and ask how they've held up over time. I'm very tempted to try a 3

Prong fork from 60th St, but I'm not 100% sure. I should wait until my 3

Prong forks from MDWoodenArt arrive so I can evaluate how they work before I try more. Waiting can be hard.

Also I'm so sorry for making more than one post here, I've been having some difficulty navigating the forum on my phone. The "post quick reply" button is right over my keyboard and I accidentally hit it twice.