Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many times a year do your shower drains get clogged with your hair?

Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

Default Re: How many times a year do your shower drains get clogged with your hair?

Never, I detangle first before my wash, and I stand in a big water bucket to keep my shed in control. I recycle the bucket of water to flush the toilet, more environmental friendly this way.
    Also, you can put a cheap dollar stocking over the drain filter if you’re in a pinch.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; August 5th, 2022 at 12:10 AM.
    93.5cm 1b/C/10cm Fingercomb/Bun-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][LWB Variations]

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./60"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: How many times a year do your shower drains get clogged with your hair?

Never. I use a strainer but I notice that as my hair has grown from just long to really long, very little rinses out. All the sheds get removed with a combe after it dries. The day after a wash is always provides the greatest amounts added to my coffee can which gets emptied every 2 weeks.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > ???

Length
    13/37/40
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

The only thing that has clogged my drain is pet hair. Also tree roots, but that's a separate problem in a different part of the pipe. I don't know why my hair hasn't clogged it, I don't even use a drain catcher most of the time.

Ok I don't brush before showering, for a long time I brushed my hair in the shower. That probably explains a lot...

Length
    Chin/CLSC+/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Tub shroom user here. I clean it out every 2 washes or the water starts draining slow. I think itís less about there being *that much* hair in it, and more that the hair is coated in conditioner and gets clumpy.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Henndigo head, daily wash and go, annual trimmer

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

About "good practices". I am one who also detangles pre-wash. It's just the right thing to do. I mean especially with me. A lot comes out after a week of no brushing and I couldn't imagine that getting in the drain, even with a strainer and even if it does hold most of it away from it. I don't take chances with the drain anymore. I was far too careless in my teens and 20s. Not that my mom ever complained, but we had to use the big guns back then. I remember that well!

I don't buy name-brand for the shower thingies. I just measure well (for the kitchen sink it is necessary) and well when I come across some for 99cts or 2 for €1.99 that claim to be stainless steel (and sort of are), I just snap them up.

I mean there's plenty on ebay if you search for them.

And during the wash, that thing gets cleaned out. After shampoo. After a conditioner (especially after a conditioner, because hair tends to slip out then). And then once afterwards.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/WL/HL
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    But I don't open the grid every time.
    This here is probably the issue
    Collarbone (12.08.21) | Armpit (16.10.21) | Midback (04.03.22) | Waist (05.08.22) | Hip

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Some drains can be very difficult to "get to". I know that my mom's bathroom sinks have this different plug (a black rubber one) and mine is this French style (decades later), with the plug that goes down in it. Easy enough to put a drain catcher on it, for those though.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

My shower/tub drains very slowly at the best of times. When I'm washing my hair, I put a strainer over the drain, but the rest of the time I leave it as is since it literally takes hours to drain out with the strainer in. I've had to Drano it once since I moved in last September. In my case, I blame the old plumbing much more than my hair ( ; The bathroom sink drains agonizingly slowly as well.

Before I had such great problems with tangles, that it wasn't worth it to try to brush it dry. I did like curly girls and brushed my hair under running water with conditioners, that was the easiest way to get the tangles open.
    Thanks for your advices to buy products to my drain. My bathroom drain anyway is quite easy to empty and there's something I like to see this wig made of my hair... 😂