Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek tips?

Length
    23.7"/25"/34"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Fenugreek tips?

So I'm fairly new with natural haircare things, but I really enjoy it so far. Pretty much most of what I've tried has worked out just as it should...With the exception of fenugreek.

Don't get me wrong, I love what it does to my hair, and I like the smell of it quite a bit. The problem is consistency. I mix it up and get it nice and smooth, wait a bit to make sure it doesn't need more water, then add it to whatever else I'm using that I've already mixed with water/whatnot. That's when things start getting...chaotic. It seems to like to form little...and sometimes not so little balls that just won't be broken down no matter what I do. Is this normal, or am I adding it to my other herb mixes too soon? Aside from straining it through a stocking/cheesecloth, is there any way to stop this from happening?

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Fenugreek tips?

I take it you're using ground fenugreek instead of whole? Do you know if it's seeds or leaves? (I wrote up a description of how to tell the difference, which I think is still at the very top of the "articles" page.)

Length
    23.7"/25"/34"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    I take it you're using ground fenugreek instead of whole? Do you know if it's seeds or leaves? (I wrote up a description of how to tell the difference, which I think is still at the very top of the "articles" page.)
    Sorry, I should've included this. It's ground fenugreek seeds. The grind on it seems pretty fine, and most of the mix seems to work out ok, it's just those darned jelly balls seem to show up. Upon breaking them apart with my fingers, they're not dry on the inside or anything like that, so they're definitely saturated. I checked because it reminded me at first of gravy lumps from when the flour gets too saturated on the outside and the inside is dry, but that wasn't the case.

Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Ah, yes, I'm well acquainted with the "jelly balls" ( ; My impression is that they're the germ of the seed, similar to the white part at the very bottom of the kernel of corn. If you've got whole or only partially broken pieces of germ in with the "body" of the ground seeds, perhaps it might be possible to sift them out before mixing with water. Or to winnow it somehow, although I'm not certain which part of the seed would be heavier, so that would require some experimentation.

I prefer to use whole seeds, but when I use ground I add lots and lots and LOTS of water (maybe a tablespoon of ground seeds to a quart container), adding it in gradually and then giving it a stir every time I walk by. Once it's cool and the consistency that I like, I strain it through a sieve.

Length
    23.7"/25"/34"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's seen these balls of doom. Looks like I've got some sifting and experiments to do before next time. I even toyed with the idea of using a high-powered blender to whip everything together smoothly, but I'm not sure how helpful it'd be compared to liberal use of a sieve. HennaSooq and a score of others make it look so effortless, I make it look like the "before" in an infomercial. But that's part of the fun, I think!

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I've used the powdered stuff mixed with water/liquid but I strain it before use.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    23.7"/25"/34"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hairkay View Post
    I've used the powdered stuff mixed with water/liquid but I strain it before use.
    I was hoping to avoid the straining, thinking I did something wrong Looks like that's what I'm gonna have to do

Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Myx View Post
    I was hoping to avoid the straining, thinking I did something wrong Looks like that's what I'm gonna have to do
    It doesn't necessarily require anything fancy--if you have a thin rag, you can wet it down and put it inside a colander or sieve for support. Having it wet to begin with makes the straining process go pretty fast.

Length
    23.7"/25"/34"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    It doesn't necessarily require anything fancy--if you have a thin rag, you can wet it down and put it inside a colander or sieve for support. Having it wet to begin with makes the straining process go pretty fast.
    Aw, I wasn't worried about fancy tools, I've got some cheesecloth kicking around from my flaxseed gels I can use...I'm just being lazy. That, and I wasn't sure if it was user error on my part I never knew about it being wet making straining faster though! That's awesome!

The result here looks impressive: https://youtu.be/yYpOqeDtNYA

And with this you avoid the straining.
    Last edited by Priska; August 23rd, 2022 at 12:01 PM.