Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer hair protection?

Length
    23.7"/28"/34"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Summer hair protection?

So I work a physical job where I'm outside in all weather, rain, snow, sleet or shine. I'm trying to find ways of protecting the hair without getting too hot. I currently just use a basic bun with a scrunchie to keep my hair from catching on everything, but that doesn't do anything for UV. I've tried baseball hats, but they rub a lot along my hairline (I move around a lot) and cause a good bit of damage. How do you protect your hair in the summer, especially without overheating?

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Summer hair protection?

I wear my hair in a claw clip bun and try to use UV protective leave ins (such as they are). I have a visor that is basically just a bill on a very soft headband so it shades my face without damaging my hairline.

I don't worry about covering my hair completely but I'm not outside a ton. You could probably find a very lightweight satin/silk head scarf sort of situation if you wanted to do that?

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I usually wear a big straw hat, but I can't wear a bun with it so my hair is braided for most of the summer. A bandana or scarf would probably work well with a bun and shouldn't make you too hot.

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by KokoroDragon View Post
    I usually wear a big straw hat, but I can't wear a bun with it so my hair is braided for most of the summer. A bandana or scarf would probably work well with a bun and shouldn't make you too hot.
    I second a bandana. If you could find a bandana-sized square of linen, that would even be better--linen feels very cool to wear and can go longer without getting smelly if it gets dirty/sweaty.
    dec '18 ear > dec '21 MBL > dec '22 waist > dec '24 classic

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./71"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Myx View Post
    So I work a physical job where I'm outside in all weather, rain, snow, sleet or shine. I'm trying to find ways of protecting the hair without getting too hot. I currently just use a basic bun with a scrunchie to keep my hair from catching on everything, but that doesn't do anything for UV. I've tried baseball hats, but they rub a lot along my hairline (I move around a lot) and cause a good bit of damage. How do you protect your hair in the summer, especially without overheating?
    Try a Buff. They're very soft, infinitely flexible style-wise, and they wick moisture so they're cool. I've found a way to wear two which holds a braided bun covered and very securely. I'm physically very active and I've not found a functionally better way of wearing my hair
    Last edited by foreveryours; June 30th, 2022 at 02:14 PM. Reason: no linkee
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    Try a Buff. They're very soft, infinitely flexible style-wise, and they wick moisture so they're cool
    This is a great idea, I think you or another member recommended this in another thread.

I ended up buying a wool version of a different brand for winter. I bike through all seasons down to 20 degrees F, would tie a low bun with a silk scrunchie, wrap the wool neckie around my bun and over my nose and mouth to stay warm and protected through the cold and wind, and stayed in place well through the physical activity. The wool was great for moisture wicking in the winter. I bet the lighter weight materials would be excellent at protecting the hair and hairline, but personally I would still need a hat with a brim to keep the sun off my face in addition to the buff!
    Maintaining 31” HL last bleach nov 2020 final goal is HL virgin hair by 6/2025 for my 40th

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./71"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rosenester View Post
    This is a great idea, I think you or another member recommended this in another thread.

I ended up buying a wool version of a different brand for winter. I bike through all seasons down to 20 degrees F, would tie a low bun with a silk scrunchie, wrap the wool neckie around my bun and over my nose and mouth to stay warm and protected through the cold and wind, and stayed in place well through the physical activity. The wool was great for moisture wicking in the winter. I bet the lighter weight materials would be excellent at protecting the hair and hairline, but personally I would still need a hat with a brim to keep the sun off my face in addition to the buff!
    I probably did. These stupidly simple things are awesome for managing hair. I wear them all the time. There's even one in my avatar
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    23.7"/28"/34"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by alewyn View Post
    I second a bandana. If you could find a bandana-sized square of linen, that would even be better--linen feels very cool to wear and can go longer without getting smelly if it gets dirty/sweaty.
    I never would've thought of linen, that's brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    Try a Buff. They're very soft, infinitely flexible style-wise, and they wick moisture so they're cool. I've found a way to wear two which holds a braided bun covered and very securely. I'm physically very active and I've not found a functionally better way of wearing my hair
    Ooh, I think I've seen these for winter before, I didn't realize they made lighter ones as well. I'll have to check it out!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Back when I was still doing ranch work, I usually just bunned up my hair and put it under a sturdy cotton kerchief. You can dip the kerchief in water every so often and wring it out a little before putting it back on--helps a lot with the heat. Even when it's dry, though, it does a great job of keeping sweat out of your eyes.

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I agree that buffs ROCK. There are also endless patterns available, from both the original "real" buff to the drugstore knockoffs. I love them and use them constantly.