Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If "terminal" length is the longest your hair will grow....

Length
    22/28/37
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Default If "terminal" length is the longest your hair will grow....

If terminal length is the longest your hair will grow - likely you're at the limit of your follicles' anagen period - then how can you tell when you've hit it, rather than just not progressing due to some factor of maintenance, environment, product ingredient change, or something else?

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

Default Re: If "terminal" length is the longest your hair will grow....

It's one thing stopping me trying terminal like how long untill you wait when you don't make any length gain

Length
    CBL/APL/Class
    Type
    1b/F/iii

i dont think this is a problem that most people need to or should worry about
    https://bglh-marketplace.com/2013/01...our-hair-grow/

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./60"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Vara La Fey View Post
    If terminal length is the longest your hair will grow - likely you're at the limit of your follicles' anagen period - then how can you tell when you've hit it, rather than just not progressing due to some factor of maintenance, environment, product ingredient change, or something else?
    If you know how much hair your scalp produces, say every month, you can collect and weigh the amount you lose, and when you've reached that level, it's TERMINAL under your current conditions. A month is really too short though, you can't really tell anything about your hair in a month. Half a year to a year, given "seasonal" and "other" issues, would be more reliable.

Hair's about patience. WIthout patience, you'll never have long hair, at least your own hair.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > ???

Length
    BSL/ankle/floor
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I guess there's no way to know for absolute certain, especially if you consider environmental factors, but terminal typically has a very tapered look if all strands have reached their maximum length. There will only be a few hairs on your head with your longest anagen phase, so there will only be a few of the very longest hairs. I've found my own hair to follow a pretty linear decrease in circumference with length, which I've extrapolated to estimate my terminal.

In addition to this, I think you need to give it a lot of time (years) with max haircare and protective styling before officially calling terminal. This is to rule out the possibility of stalls/breakage preventing length gains. There are people who've thought they were at terminal, and their hair randomly started growing again. These signs aren't foolproof, but it's the best we can do.
    Last edited by lapis_lazuli; June 22nd, 2022 at 09:16 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    If you know how much hair your scalp produces, say every month, you can collect and weigh the amount you lose, and when you've reached that level, it's TERMINAL under your current conditions. A month is really too short though, you can't really tell anything about your hair in a month. Half a year to a year, given "seasonal" and "other" issues, would be more reliable.

Hair's about patience. WIthout patience, you'll never have long hair, at least your own hair.
    Wise words, my friend!

Terminal is a long ways away, for most people, given good health care practices. If you heat style the absolute bejeezus out of your hair then no. In my day it cut itself off at around bra strap, and never grew beyond. Never had to go see a hair dresser. Perfect. LOL At that season in my life, though. Not an ideal situation if you want long, healthy, hair.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I think this is one of those things you can't accurately predict. We go through hormonal changes, health changes, periods of stress, and so forth. Each of these things can change what's happening on your scalp.

There was an LHC member that I haven't seen around in a long time. His hair was stuck around classic length for years, then for no easily discernible reason, it began to gain length again and reached at least knee length (to the best of my memory).

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

That was EdG. I had this happen as well. I thought I was at terminal at knee length for several years and then all the sudden it was at mid-calf. It has stayed there for a few years now, but who knows!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Type
    2a/C/iii

I think that may have been trolleypup.

The longest shed strand that I have ever measured was 5 feet. That was 15 years ago. Now, I am lucky if a shed strand exceeds one foot.

I would say that one has reached terminal when the length does not change, and the shed strands are unbroken.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    22/28/37
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    It's one thing stopping me trying terminal like how long untill you wait when you don't make any length gain
    I think that's the tricky part. I'd guess the thing to do when you hit a plateau is change up your routine: see what helps your hair and what hurts it. Neither may always be what you think. I'm in that process right now. Changing everything up and actually paying attention. It was damned sure about time I did.

If you're still at the same plateau after maybe 3 mo, then either you didn't change the right thing, or you're at terminal. Anagen periods - the time your follicle keeps growing a hair - are said to generalliy be between 2-6 years for most people. I'm skeptical that they're that short, and I'm skeptical that the period can even be measured. But anagen itself is real.