Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silicone in shampoo

Default Re: Silicone in shampoo

They help with slip, not a bad thing in a shampoo. Also, a blanket silicone hatred/fear/avoidance is really not useful anymore ... imho at least ... as there are so many different ones, the science has improved, the silicones themselves have improved, etc. etc. Pluswhich, they're in nearly everything cosmetically. Face care, toothpaste, you name it.

And it's not a bad idea to clarify every so often anyway

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GordonMurphella View Post
    They help with slip, not a bad thing in a shampoo. Also, a blanket silicone hatred/fear/avoidance is really not useful anymore ... imho at least ... as there are so many different ones, the science has improved, the silicones themselves have improved, etc. etc. Pluswhich, they're in nearly everything cosmetically. Face care, toothpaste, you name it.

And it's not a bad idea to clarify every so often anyway
    You know, there used to be a time, years ago on here, that I had this "thing" where I picked every ingredient list apart. I mean, it's like a grieving process, but you could call it part of LHC'itis, I think. You go through a phase of experimenting with every food item in your cupboard (so to speak), then you try the natural dyes, then you pick apart ingredient lists. Part and parcel of coming to this site, LOL!

Anyway, I am still as clueless, but I no longer read labels. What I have learned is that *everything* depends on formulation. You can have dimethicone in 2 products and they can both be totally different, because there are other ingredients and you never know what "does it" (in a good or bad way).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./59/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley8 View Post
    Thanks everyone I'm hoping it helps with my tangles, it seems to be making a difference at the moment.
    Best thing for tangles I've found is wait for it to dry

You're in no hurry, right?
    Last edited by foreveryours; June 24th, 2022 at 06:54 AM. Reason: ETA
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > ???

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    Best thing for tangles I've found is wait for it to dry

You're in no hurry, right?
    Exactly what Brad Mondo said in his latest video. Don't force your way through tangles (if your hair is relatively straight), but wait for it to dry, then try again. If your hair can hold up to a brush. Mine can't (when it's dry).

Length
    12/17/37.7
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Gosh this is so relatable. A few years back when I first lurked this forum I was just like that, tried all the herbal stuff and had the ingredient blacklist and it probably made my hair worse from manipulation, constantly bring wet, trying styles, ect. Deciding to practice benign neglect ended up being what made my hair grow ironically

Length
    12/17/37.7
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I like silicones in shampoos. Helps it gets less tangled in the shower. Just be sure to know the signs of buildup on your hair and clarify when its needed and you're golden! I honestly love cones, my hair was less happy when I was cone free.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BlushingRose View Post
    Gosh this is so relatable. A few years back when I first lurked this forum I was just like that, tried all the herbal stuff and had the ingredient blacklist and it probably made my hair worse from manipulation, constantly bring wet, trying styles, ect. Deciding to practice benign neglect ended up being what made my hair grow ironically
    I had (and have) the very same experience. So now I stick to a basic routine, use whatever strikes my fancy (with the knowledge of what clarifying is) and just let it be. Best thing ever!

Length
    Shave/CL/?
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Thanks for all the advice. My hair seems a lot more manageable now with silicone, it makes a difference.
    Last edited by Lesley8; June 26th, 2022 at 01:10 AM.