Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep moisturising treatments for hair - how do YOU use them?

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Deep moisturising treatments for hair - how do YOU use them?

Do you use them on dry hair? Damp hair? Wet hair? Dirty hair? Or clean hair? And how long do you leave them on for?
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Waist/BCL/FT
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Deep moisturising treatments for hair - how do YOU use them?

Depends on what kind of treatment....
    when it comes to oiling, I coat my hair heavily the day before I take a shower, so on dry hair. Do oils have a different effect on wet hair? I never tried heavy oiling on wet hair.

Other than oiling I use masks when my hair is towel dry, then I ususally get into the sauna or something while waiting for it to work... my husband is finnish, so he doesn't know how to function without a sauna... and I guess the heat good for getting masks and oils deeply working in the hair :-)

Oils go on dirty hair, hair masks on shampooed hair... I use a hair mask whenever I deep clean and shampoo all of my hair. Perhaps once a month. The other three times I oil before CWC.

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Treatments tend to weigh down my fine hair, but the few times I've used them I put them on dry hair. Not freshly shampoo'd, but not super dirty either. Unless it's oil I'm using. Occasionally I'll oil my hair a couple hours before washing.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

To me, moisturising is mostly conditioner. I OCWC and leave the first C on for a couple of hours; so it usually goes on wet (damp) oiled hair, and I tend to use a nice conditioner for that first C because my hair really feels the benefits.

I guess deep moisturising treatments are really supposed to go on clean hair but my scalp doesn't want to be wet for that long (airdrying after a wash is fine, but to be wet and trapped under a bun for an extra couple of hours doesn't work). So realistically if I didn't do it this way I don't think I'd do it at all

On average it tends to be every couple of weeks, when I do a full wash.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

The closest I get to a treatment is my cone-free mask which I use every wash. I apply it very generously root to tip right after shampooing, brush it out with a tangle teezer and put a shower cap over it while I do other showery things. The steam from the shower helps it work better, or so I like to believe.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I treat masks aka deep conditioners like regular conditioners. If it can't do its job in 2 minutes: it sucks. I have no time, literally no time to sit with this on my head (wet head) for 30, let alone 10 minutes. When washing my hair, the most I can give is 2 minutes for leaving stuff in. That's it.

They should really re-think this stuff and focus on how people wash their hair. Just my 2 €cts.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I use a Hot Head heat cap. I just use my usual conditioner, because I developed sensitivities to something or other that’s in a lot of conditioners. I shampoo my hair first and blot my hair with a microfibre towel so it doesn’t drip. I bought a reusable, washable shower cap, which is made from polyester I think. It’s great because I can sling it in the washing machine afterwards, and it’s comfortable to wear.

During the colder months, I use a little oil and add the conditioner on top. When it’s warmer, I use aloe vera gel (pretty much SMT but sometimes with oil and rarely with honey).

I put the shower cap on, warm up the Hot Head cap and leave it on for 20-ish minutes. I find it really relaxing and my hair feels great afterwards. The only problem is the SMT can make it so slippery it’s hard to keep up in a bun.

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I apply my moisture treatment to dry dirty hair on wash days. I typically oil the night before and since the flax seed gel that I add to my SMT has distilled water in it I don't feel the need to wet it first. I let it sit as long as I can stand with a cap over it and then shampoo and condition as usual. If I do it after I shampoo my hair is a stringy, limp mess until I wash again.
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Ultimately what I have determined is that simplicity is best for me. When I was in my hair and LHC obsession (this forum was amazing for me when my hair wasn't yet long but I still wanted to obsess) I would do them before a wash on dry hair and again after, all kinds of ways. These days have been much simpler, I prefer to use a mask after I wash, I used to do the snowy deep moisture treatment from the forum but these days I get best results just using a good amount of conditioner, I often use a mask like the garner treats as a conditioner but otherwise nothing too special. No cones or sulfates and washing when I feel it every 2-5 days has really good results for me, my hair doesn't feel dry and the lack of damage means it's usually manageable and easy.
    [Shaved | Pixie |Chin | Shoulder | APL |BSL | Waist | Onward...]

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I treat anything moisturizing the same way that I do conditioner. Unfortunately, conditioner doesn't seem to do much for me without time and heat : P I wet down and detangle my hair, work the conditioner/mask/whatever through it, then lump all the hair on top of my head and cover it up with a shower cap. I put a towel or a ratty headscarf on over the shower cap to keep some of the heat from my head trapped. Then I leave it until I get annoyed with it. Less then half an hour doesn't usually do a thing; most of the time I'd say I wind up leaving conditioner on my hair for about two hours. Then rinse it completely out. If any residue is left behind in my hair, it gets tangly and ill-behaved.

It may not be necessary to wet down my hair first now that I've moved back to a more humid place, but I started caring for my hair again back when I was living in high desert. Moisturizing treatments + dry hair + low ambient humidity = trouble.