Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep your ends healthy?

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Default Re: How do you keep your ends healthy?

You are so right, Joules. I had been wearing braids more between pregnancy and my baby’s first year, and my splits have been really out of hand. Now I’m really trying to wear my hair in a bun unless I have to have a sun hat on. I love braids but they just aren’t as protective on my ends as they are for my length.
    At my goal length of Classic after 2.5 years here at the LHC.
    (still growing though lol)

Length
    APL/WL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Moisturize well/condition twice. ROO. Leave in. Serum. Silicones. Any of those or a combination

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Also it’s worth noting that while lapushka gets no splits in her hair at all, she does trim regularly to maintain her length, so her ends are fresher than someone who is growing out for years at a time and only S&Ding. So if you suddenly have a ton more splits than you’ve ever seen, it could be your habits, but it could also be that you have reached that point where your ends are just much older than you’ve ever let them be before.

ETA of course you take excellent care of your hair, lapushka, anyone who has been around here for five minutes knows that, and that is also a factor in your healthy ends.

For instance, my last proper haircut was in February of 2020 just before I joined the LHC. I have done one home trim just to even up my hemline since then, the rest of my scissor usage has been S&D. Of course I’m seeing more splits now than I was in 2021, that just makes sense, but when they really started to go up a few months ago, I realized I’d been relying on braids hanging down too much, and am switching to more bunned styles now to hopefully help that slow down some.
    Last edited by knobbly; May 15th, 2022 at 06:18 AM. Reason: ETA
    At my goal length of Classic after 2.5 years here at the LHC.
    (still growing though lol)

Length
    BSL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I resonate so much with what y'all are saying. The first year of hair growth I wore mostly braids and still got a lot of damage on my ends. I'm trying to wear more bun styles, but I do have a sensitive scalp and get dandruff more easily when I wear bunned styles for multiple days in a row. If any of you have seborrheic dermatitis - what do you do to combat that and still have protective styling? I've recently realized that I need to be shampooing at least twice a week to keep my scalp healthy and will alternate between buns, braids and keeping my hair down.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Moisture moisture moisture, and protection in buns.

I oil heavily before washing, CWC with the first C left on a couple of hours before the actual wash, and do an oil rinse during the wash between shampoo and the final C.

Buns are held with usually a fork or stick, although flexis, spin pins, and Ficarres also work. If I ever have to braid I secure it with ribbon braided in at the ends, because a hairtie of any kind damages my ends - even a small satin scrunchie puts too much pressure on them and makes them very unhappy. I will also lightly oil to help try to protect all the ends that poke out throughout the braid, because they *will* dry out and rub against anything and everything if my braid is down so oil feels like at least I've tried … my hair really doesn't like braids

Overnight I usually wear a bun under a satin bonnet as well as a satin pillowcase - I find that the bonnet does help prevent it feeling dry if the bun comes loose, which was interesting. I used to think it might be OTT but no, it actually makes a difference to my hair!

This is not to say my hair is perfect and split-free - it's not. But my routine has helped to minimise splits and dryness, and it's what I can comfortably manage. No doubt there are further tweaks I could still make but at the moment not without being too much effort, and part of the reason I love having long hair is that I can do my routine, put it up and forget about it, and it stays happy. It's there to do more with if/when I want but doesn't require more.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

I keep my ends healthy by regular trims. I would rather have a blunt hemline and healthy ends than have longer hair. I envy those who can grow long, healthy hair.

Length
    HL/BCL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Moisture, not only after wash. I reapply some leave in every time I feel my ends dry. A thing that recently helped my ends a lot, was a good trim. Keep in mind my hair is damaged, and I trimmed around 2.75 inches. After two years of small trims two times a year (max 0.75 inches every time) that was the first time I've seen a true improvement. So if your hair is damaged, I suggest to do something similar.

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

I got quite a drastic cut today (right up to just below my chin) so right now my ends are looking as healthy as they're ever going to look.

Now all I have to do is maintain my ends.....easier said than done but I shall have fun trying. I think its important to enjoy your hair and I have not liked my hair for a while. Tonight I do.

Length
    10/37/70+
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Trim once a year, brush daily, light oil daily, boar bristle and heavy oiling before shampooing, leave in conditioner. No s&d for me because I don’t want my hemline to become uneven, I just ignore the few splits that show up until it’s time for a proper trim.

Length
    Pixie/Hip?/Term.
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I bun most of the time, hiding my ends and tucking them safely away feels like it really helps. Besides that I personally don't wash, and I feel like for me that really helps my ends too. I redyed my ends two months ago (my ends are bleached and I still own loads of fun coloured deposit only dyes) and I noticed my hair feeling so very dry, even though I put conditioner (the dye) on it.

Now I am waiting for the sebum to travel down again, let's see if my ends will be happier again!