Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grow out layers or gain length first?

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist

Default Grow out layers or gain length first?

I always seem to get the urge to cut some layers into my hair when it nears BSL and a few months ago I asked for "some light layering"... of course, I ended up with MAJOR layering. My hair overall is slightly past BSL but my shortest layers are at shoulder length now (yes, I almost cried)

i am having troubles making buns and braids because I have a lot of hairs that stick out due to the difference in lengths, which is frustrating. However, I always end up cutting at BSL because of this and wonder if I should just get through to waist and then maintain there... what do you think? Will my hairstyle options increase a bit more with some more length or should I cut it back to APL?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. —Oscar Wilde

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Grow out layers or gain length first?

I wouldn't cut it if your hair is healthy and if you like the look of layers when your hair is down.
    I'm sure UltraBella and others can suggest updos and styles that accomodate layers nicely.
    I cut my layers off last week but my ends were splitty and I prefer an even hemline on me.

Type
    2a/F/ii

If you want to have tidy buns and braids the best course of action is to avoid layers at all costs. You are definitely not alone in the wanting to grow out layers journey: Growing Out Layers- A place to complain.

I have been struggling with layers for over two years now, recently I got rid of my length layers and I think it was worth the wait. For me length has been more important than getting rid of layers. I can't really give you an advice to cut or not to cut, I can only tell you what I did. It is up to you to decide what is more important in your journey. Whatever you decide I wish you good luck!

Length
    24"/26"/30"
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

I say neither, but rather microtrim and maintain where you are until the unwanted layers grow out.

Length
    pixie/TBL/45 in
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I also am growing out layers,had shoulder length layers and APL hair.Now I have waist length or so with longer than APL layers .Finally I can do buns and twists and braids and the shorter ends don't stick out.My advice is to just grow,if you cut you will have even less choice of styles plus you must wait for it to get long again.As the layers get longer they seem to blend better with the rest of the hair and styles.So do a french twist or some such style where layers are not such a problem and just grow.

Length
    18/37/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Maybe try some oil or aloe gel (or both) when you bun or braid to rein in the poky-outies?

If you like your layers, there's no reason to chop. Just think of your present ends as a buffer zone between typical end-damage and that nice blunt hemline it sounds like you want someday. They're your sacrificial inches. Also, from your sig pic, your hair seems pretty thick... which can seriously limit styling options at shorter lengths. Even with thin hair, there wasn't much I could do until I was at APL.

I had the same thing happen to me a little over a year ago - went to a salon for a cut, requested "just a tiny bit of taper to soften the ends" and walked out with razored layers from APL to just above my shoulder. I waited a few months while the shortest layer grew to about collarbone, and then I went to a barbershop and had it cut to that shortest layer. I wish I could have let it grown out through microtrims, but those layers were godawful in my hair and I couldn't wait to get them out. As long as you like your layers, I'd keep 'em for now.

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I say grow to waist and maintain - of course that was my plan but I'm on to hip now. The most frustrating place to be is where you are now because of the shoulder length layers. They make your hair appear shorter (to you) at the front - I know - I was there.

I was in the same boat as you and I was encouraged to go for length rather than cut out layers. I'm directing you to this thread because there is a collection of photos of my growth where you can see how much my hair changed as it got longer. The layers seem to magically become part of the length so that they no longer looked like layers - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ms#post1373613

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...lliams&page=72

- just scroll down to me with the black and white shirt on.

Length
    22"/31.5"/CLSC
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I continued to grow. I'm planning on cutting the last remaining layer when I get solidly at waist. It would've driven me batty to have to cut back to the top layer and wait even longer for long hair!
    Lady Diana of the Moonlit Night in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL (32") ~ BCL (37") ~ TB ~ CLSC (43")

Length
    Ears/MBL/TB
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

My experience with this is that I was at MBL, with my shortest layer at APL. I chopped. Best decision I ever made regarding my hair.

I might have done it differently if my shortest layer had been at shoulder, maybe. Also bear in mind that I HATE layers with the fiery burning passion of a thousand suns - they make my thick, wurly hair incredibly unmanageable. I was fundamentally more unhappy with my layers than I was impatient for long hair - try to work out how you feel on this issue, and you'll know what decision to make.

In future, if you decide to get layers, say, "with the shortest layer no shorter than (point to place on body, slightly lower than your actual limit)".
    Finally embracing what nature gave me

Can I have waist length hair for Christmas?

Length
    62cm/15 cm/NA
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

You don't list a hair type under your avatar, but from your profile pic, your hair looks fairly straight. Mine's like that too, so when you get layer "sticky-outies" they are really noticeable! (I think if your hair is curly, those guys look more like they are there on purpose.)

I grew out from a pixie cut into an ear length bob and then grew from there, just because I hate layers that much. I'd at least microtrim and maintain your current length, if you don't want to chop. But it's your hair - you have to balance your frustration with your desire for length!
    "Snuggling is sex without the fluid exchange."