Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hair stylist tried Medieval hair care for a month

Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair stylist tried Medieval hair care for a month

Quote Originally Posted by alewyn View Post
    For all those having trouble finding a quality comb, this is the one I got, and it's definitely not cheap, but it is really lovely! Quite sturdy, and it has very, very fine teeth--even the wider toothed side is quite fine compared to what I'm used to, so I still detangle with a properly wide-toothed comb before starting with this one. It also has that nice sandalwood smell, which is a bonus.
    The base price isn't bad but $33 for shipping to Canada!
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

I tried the combing part for a while, but I didn't cover my hair. I tried a sandalwood double-sided comb and a seamless hard rubber Hercules Sägemann comb, both fine-tooth. It certainly cleans your hair of lint and distributes oil well. I think my wooden comb was marketed as a beard comb, it wasn't expensive. I liked the rubber comb best, it was easiest to keep clean and seemed even more gentle than the wood. Unfortunately, combing seems like it was drying to my lengths, even with the oil distribution. My hair is really dry to begin with though, so take that for what it's worth. It seemed a lot more gentle than using a boar bristle brush.

Length
    ?/BSL/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/M/i/ii

I got this sandalwood com: Amazon Sweden link. I think it's only available in Europe though. I didn't expect much because of the low price but it has a very pleasant floral/woody smell and does a good job at detangling and combing out lint gently. When it arrived it had some weird tiny crystals growing out of it, but I just rinsed it with water, scrubbed it with a toothbrush and gave it a quick cool blow dry.

I also got this pear wood comb with the same order, but I haven't tried it much because I prefer the sandalwood comb. The pear wood comb is lighter in comparison and it also seems to have some sort of shiny coating. It doesn't have a nice smell either. When I pull it through my hair it seems to glide more easily, but also gives me more static. Not sure if it's good at all at spreading oils.

I've been combing out and braiding my hair twice a day with the sandalwood comb for a week now and unless I'm clumsy and twist the comb wrong or pull on a knot accidentally I don't seem to have any breakage (just regular shed hairs with the roots). My lengths and ends are doing just fine. I will say that after I last washed my hair (about 2 weeks ago) I put some shea moisture leave-in conditioner in my lengths and ends, so I'm not sure if that is still doing its thing or if I've managed to spread the sebum all the way down, but my ends feel soft and nice. If I can keep my scalp from itching I will keep going and see what happens.

Length
    SL/CL/FTL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by paulownia View Post
    Interesting but definitely not for me!
    On the 3 day without shampoo my scalp is itching like being invaded by thousands of demon-fleas
    I have the same issue (on day 4), but I got a comb like this anyways. Mostly just to detangle my hair and massage my scalp. It helps a ton with the pathological itching and makes it so that I don't have an angry, achy, itchy scalp even if I miss my normal wash time by a bit (which I still try not to do because the comb is not magic, lol). Also it helps a ton with keeping lint out of my hair and the resulting tangles down. I won't be using it to stretch my washes or anything but it is pretty nice. I also ended up getting some nice scarves to keep my hair from touching me on highly sensitive days or when I need to focus. It's awesome even though it isn't very useful as a scalp cleansing alternative for me and my hair feels a bit softer from staying less tangled. The comb doesn't seem to hurt my hair either which is what I was most concerned about.

SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ WL ~ HL~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ FTL ~ KL

Length
    ?/BSL/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/M/i/ii

About the itchy scalp thing:

I used to get an itchy, sore scalp couple days after washing (pretty much the only reason I would wash my hair in the first place as it would never get greasy). The wooden comb hardly helped with the itch either, no matter how much I tried scraping my scalp with it. What actually did help was getting the Denman d6 massage brush after I read about it in the nw/so thread, I believe. I've been brushing the crap out of my scalp with it once or twice a day. I've been doing it for like a week now and my scalp stopped being itchy almost immediately and I don't seem to be getting sores and ingrown hair on my scalp anymore. Haven't washed my hair 3 weeks+ now and my boyfriend hasn't complained about a smell or the way it looks yet so I think I'll just keep going and see what happens.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Ok, I got horrible flashbacks to the painful scalp era of my life and had to sniff a lovely minty bottle of head&shoulders for 30 minutes straight to calm down

Great video, just you guys remember that stretching washes isn't for everyone, and for some it's straight up harmful!
    I think it was for me. My daughter was applying color to my hair in back a few weeks ago, and she came across a weeping cyst on the back of my head. Now I'm so paranoid about leaving my scalp to marinate in its own juices for too long that I'm washing my scalp/hair every other day, even every day if I've been working hard in dirty conditions and sweating. I'm much happier with the way my hair looks and feels than I was when I washed it about every 5 days with the goal of making it a whole week. No way!

Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

So, I've been using a fine toothed plastic comb on my hair after going through it with my wooden one and it picks up a lot of gunk. But, I'm having a hard time getting that gunk out of the plastic comb. The tines are so close together that scrubbing it with a toothbrush doesn't seem to get them all easily. Any ideas?
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    So, I've been using a fine toothed plastic comb on my hair after going through it with my wooden one and it picks up a lot of gunk. But, I'm having a hard time getting that gunk out of the plastic comb. The tines are so close together that scrubbing it with a toothbrush doesn't seem to get them all easily. Any ideas?
    The only thing I can think of is denture cleaning tablets I used to work in an office where they used those on coffee cups once a week to remove staining. With a comb it’s possible the fizz would bubble up between the tines?

Length
    20/24/??
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    I use a very fine toothed nail brush. It’s the only thing I’ve found for degunking my combs. In Canada Lee Valley Tools sells them as “the world’s kindest nail brush”

Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtaroth View Post
    I use a very fine toothed nail brush. It’s the only thing I’ve found for degunking my combs. In Canada Lee Valley Tools sells them as “the world’s kindest nail brush”
    I'll check that out. I had some luck soaking it in oil first and then washing it.