Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hair stylist tried Medieval hair care for a month

Length
    10/37/70+
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Hair stylist tried Medieval hair care for a month

I can’t stretch my washes longer than a week otherwise my scalp gets scabby and pimply and gross. The comb intrigued me though. Considering buying a fine tooth to run through my hair after detangling with a wide tooth. I wonder if I would see any build up like she did.

Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I'm liking combing through sections with a fine toothed comb. I think it really gets rid of some gunk. My only problem is that my fine comb is plastic so it generates a lot of static! If I want to continue this, I'll have to buy a wooden one.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    chin/21.5/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Ooh I recently saw this video and it was truly fascinating! I don't think I could stretch washes that much simply because my scalp tends to be much more oily than hers does. If I wait too long between washes I will start having issues and needing more medicated shampoo. But every 2-3 days seems perfectly okay. If my scalp was more normal to dry, I'd definitely try this method out. Super neat!

Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I'm seriously tempted to buy this comb after watching the video for the second time. I know it's not identical to the one she has but it's more affordable for a Canadian. https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/9797...-comb?ref=cart

Then, I saw this one which is just adorable. Not as fine-toothed but sooo cute.
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/9434...&ref=hp_opfy-5
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

In my restless dreams, I see that town...
    Length
    12/32ish/Thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I ended up buying the comb she uses from Rigr Crafts, and I absolutely love it! It is far superior to my old wooden comb, and will probably be my go-to detangling comb.

Prior to watching this video I didn't really use combs or brush my hair much after detangling because my hair is so fragile, but I had absolutely no issues with this comb and I'm not sure why. But I didn't hear any strands snap, and when I used the fine-toothed side I definitely pulled a lot of gunk out!
    Hovering at waist indefinitely

Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Very interesting, I've been eyeing two sided combs since watching this video. I've never had wooden combs with teeth so fine, so that's another experiment wrapped in that experiment.
    Chin • APL • BSL • MBL •WL​ • HL • BCL • TBL • CL
    Lady Marie of the Scarlet Kin
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/SL+/MBL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

"Shmutz"

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I just couldn't resist after all this talk about fine toothed combs, so I ordered one too (from a Swedish site) to test it

Be nice or I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I just got the fine toothed wooden comb I ordered in the mail today and HOLY WOW was there a lot of lint in my hair. It just kept coming! I was stunned.

I really love the comb! I didn't noticed any breakage or harshness from the finer teeth, and it distributed my sebum really efficiently. Plus, after detangling so thoroughly and getting all the lint out, my hair didn't tangle back up nearly as bad. I even got my hair wet today, which usually results in a lot of tangles, but nope--beautiful, perfect 2c loose spirally waves after it air dried, and less frizz/tangles than normal. It's a shame there was no good natural light today, or I would have taken a pic before putting it up.

I will definitely be using it at least every few days. Lint causes almost all of my tangles, so this is a game changer for me.
    dec '18 ear > dec '21 MBL > dec '22 waist > dec '24 classic

Length
    ?/BSL/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/M/i/ii

I saw this video a while ago and it led me to research WO and NW/SO again - which I halfheartedly tried a couple years ago, but it didn't work out for me because the BBB and my curly hair seemingly are not friends at all. After years of absence I figured let's check the longhair community again and funnily enough you're discussing the very video that led me back here!

Anyway I had resigned myself to weekly washes and frizzy hair and a slightly irritated scalp and then this lady with the same hair type as me comes along combing out her dry hair with a fricken fine toothed comb! Something I didn't even think was possible with curly hair. I'm still quite skeptical if daily manipulation with a comb leads to less hair loss than washing it once a week and pretty much leaving it alone the rest of the time (I used to only detangle in the shower with conditioner. No brushing between washes). But I'm theorizing that maybe if I can get my scalp to be healthier I can grow out my hair stronger and less prone to breakage. And I do like the idea of no longer wasting money on products that aren't working for me either way. Not sure if I will try full on NW/SO, as I do have to wet my hair if I want to wear it curly. I think at first I'm going to try just stretch out the time between washes and possibly try WO washes and see how it goes.

So far I haven't washed my hair in like 10 days, which isn't too abnormal for me so it's not overly greasy yet. I don't have a wooden comb yet (but I'm going to order one), so what I did so far was just some massaging of the scalp, brushing my hair out daily with a regular paddle brush and yesterday I combed it with a metal flea comb. I heard some snapping sounds that I did not like so I won't be trying this again, but the amount of lint on the comb was wild. Overall my scalp is doing better than normal so this seems promising.