Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyped for hair growth :d

Length
    BSL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Hyped for hair growth :d

Hello everyone,

First post on this forum ever (woo hoo)! My name is Dani and I am from the midwestern United States. It's nice to officially meet y'all

I've bee mindfully growing out my hair since January of 2021, and have been lurking on this forum for the past 6 months. In that time I've learned a BUNCH about how to grow my hair long and healthy. My hair type is 2a/F/ii, sandy scandi blonde and 30.5" long. Since new years of 2021 I have gone from washing my hair almost every day to twice per week, have been wearing braids and protective styles consistently, wear hair oil at the tips almost daily and have been brushing more mindfully. This has shown a huge improvement in the thickness and length of my hair! I've had long hair most of my life, but was quite rough with it resulting in never growing past BSL. Now I am almost to HL!

I'm looking for recommendations on trimming. Because I have fine hair, it tends to split at the ends pretty quickly resulting in lost length despite it never being chemically processed and always air drying. The hair oil has helped a lot (especially during the winter), as well as trying to incorporate more bun styles. For anyone with fine hair, have you noticed that braids damage your ends? How frequently do you trim? It's been 6 months since my last trim and my ends are looking a little thin. I have never tried S&D and do not want fairytale ends. Also, is it possible to grow to classic length with this hair type? It's my goal length but almost all of the classic length ladies on this site have dark brown or black hair that is M,C or iii.

I am so excited to be part of this online community. Y'all are lovely. I can't wait to get my dream fairy/witchy/princess hair

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Hyped for hair growth :d

Welcome!

How often to trim is individual. If you easily get damaged ends it's probably better to trim smaller amounts more often. And if that is every other month of twice a year only you can decide.

Yes fine haired folks can grow to classic! It is possible! The hair color got absolutely nothing to do with that. We have blonds and greys beyond classic too.

My hair is not fine, but get's damages easily. I can not wear it down or in braids too often, or it will damage my ends.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Contrary to popular belief, trims every couple months are not a necessity. If your ends still look great (no splits I mean by that), then it's fine. If you are talking "thinning" ends you are probably referring to something called "fairytailing" ends, and we welcome those even though a lot of hairdressers will tell you they are "dead ends".

Like Tatsu already said, trimming is very individual on top of all of that.

We typically use Feye's self-trimming method around these parts. For layering, there's other techniques on the forum (I am sporting one of those techniques in my signature picture, the unicorn aka "wolf cut"). Thing is, on very long hair, which you have, you barely can go wrong.

Oh, here's the link to Feye's (tip, print it out if you are going for it):
    https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Your hair is at a good length to do home-cuts with, and best of all, you can take off half a cm or even half an inch, any hairdresser will cut off more than that.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Guatire, Venezuela / Arnhem, the Netherlands
    Length
    Buzz/Buzz/MBL
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Hey there, and officially welcome! I unfortunately know far less than you do so I can't answer any of your questions (alas), but I'm hoping you do get some nice tips from other members!

If I may ask some questions of my own however, I see a lot of terms here I'm not familiar with, mostly related to length o: I imagine WL is waist-length, but what is BSL, HL, and CL? ^^;

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderfire View Post
    Hey there, and officially welcome! I unfortunately know far less than you do so I can't answer any of your questions (alas), but I'm hoping you do get some nice tips from other members!

If I may ask some questions of my own however, I see a lot of terms here I'm not familiar with, mostly related to length o: I imagine WL is waist-length, but what is BSL, HL, and CL? ^^;
    You can find it here in the first comment: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ad.php?t=54874

And here's lots of other threads that can be good to check out. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com....php?f=28&a=11

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Guatire, Venezuela / Arnhem, the Netherlands
    Length
    Buzz/Buzz/MBL
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Ah, thank you! This helps a LOT! I'll be taking note of where that Announcement thread in particular is; I see it links to the LHC glossary <3 Thanks again!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Howdy, nice to meet you! I use Feye's method for trimming as well.

Length
    BSL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Welcome!

How often to trim is individual. If you easily get damaged ends it's probably better to trim smaller amounts more often. And if that is every other month of twice a year only you can decide.

Yes fine haired folks can grow to classic! It is possible! The hair color got absolutely nothing to do with that. We have blonds and greys beyond classic too.

My hair is not fine, but get's damages easily. I can not wear it down or in braids too often, or it will damage my ends.
    Thanks for your reply Tatsu, it gave me hope that I can reach my hair goals. Also thanks for your insight on preventing splits - I had been wearing my hair in one or two braids almost every day for protection. Although this made my hair a lot thicker, the ends were still getting damaged. Now I've switched to mostly wearing buns, and braiding when I want to go out. I just received my first hair stick from an Etsy seller a few days ago and that has given me a lot of motivation to keep it bunned up. Hair sticks are so cute!!!!!!!! BTW I really dig the braided updos that you post on this website, you've got a lot of talent and creativity for hair Looking forward to getting to CL eventually!

Length
    BSL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, trims every couple months are not a necessity. If your ends still look great (no splits I mean by that), then it's fine. If you are talking "thinning" ends you are probably referring to something called "fairytailing" ends, and we welcome those even though a lot of hairdressers will tell you they are "dead ends".

Like Tatsu already said, trimming is very individual on top of all of that.

We typically use Feye's self-trimming method around these parts. For layering, there's other techniques on the forum (I am sporting one of those techniques in my signature picture, the unicorn aka "wolf cut"). Thing is, on very long hair, which you have, you barely can go wrong.

Oh, here's the link to Feye's (tip, print it out if you are going for it):
    https://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Your hair is at a good length to do home-cuts with, and best of all, you can take off half a cm or even half an inch, any hairdresser will cut off more than that.
    Hi Lapushka, thanks for your response. The idea of trimming my own hair is terrifying to me! The only person that I let trim my hair is my mother as she does a great job and does not get scissor happy. Maybe I will feel confident enough one day to try. If I do, now I have a great resource to utilize.

Length
    BSL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    Howdy, nice to meet you! I use Feye's method for trimming as well.
    Hello shelomit, nice to meet you too You have lovely red hair!