Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hair SPF? Sunscreen?

Length
    Pixie/CBL/MTL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

Default hair SPF? Sunscreen?

Hey everyone! I did a little search in the forum and saw that it's been a while since this topic was mentioned. I'm wondering how many people worry about sun damage on their hair/ think consciously about protecting it on a daily basis/ use sunscreen on their hair. And what your tactics are and what you use!

I noticed the hair on my crown is much frizzier than the hair at my nape, and I'm pretty sure the culprit is sun damage. Hats and scarves don't really fit into my style, so I've resorted to taking a tiny bit of my face sunscreen and just swiping it on top of my hair in a thin film. It makes it a little crunchy, but I hope it's at least a little protected.

I looked into spf sprays that are made specifically for hair, but I found they often had things in them that I didn't want (Silicones, denatured alcohol, etc). Does anyone have experiences or recommendations to share?

Length
    17.5/23/27
    Type
    4a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: hair SPF? Sunscreen?

Yeah, I tend to use hair sprays or shine serums that say they offer UV protection. But I do notice that most sprays have denatured alcohol in them and most serums are very silicone-y. Thing is, I noticed that a lot of products that offer UV protection also say that they offer heat protection and silicones can be a mechanism to protect hair from heat. I wonder if that's why so many UV protectors are very silicone heavy?

Anyway, when I'm on Sephora looking for hair care, a lot of hair creams say they offer UV protections too, especially the ones marketed towards colour protection or reducing colour fade. Maybe take a quick look through a few of those, see if you can find a silicone-free one? And if you're okay with one singular silicone, the Bumble & Bumble heat protectant has UV protection too and only has dimethicone. I don't think it has denatured alcohol, but worth a double check! Could also be useful if you blow dry/diffuse sometimes.

And a quick google gave me some popular UV filters in hair care that you can look for in ingredients lists, in case it doesn't say it protects from UV but actually does: ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, methoxydibenz-oylmethane, or Parsol SLX.

P.S. I've never found a face sunscreen without silicones. If yours is silicone free, would you mind sharing? I'd appreciate it since my skin doesn't seem to get along with them.

Length
    27.5"/39"/41"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

I just wear a hat or cover my hair more often than not. Following to learn.
    TBL now, current goal is Classic

Length
    16/23/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Years ago I used a shine spray that has a SPF. The hairdresser said it also protected your scalp from being burnt, and that her father who was thinning on top used it when working outside.

I've had a burnt scalp a couple of times, just down the part line. It's annoyingly painful.
    Last edited by Kathie; January 26th, 2022 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Typo
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.
    No trims since June 10th 2021, aiming for fairytale ends.

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

I don't use this primarily on the hair itself, but for my part line I love powdered sunscreen! I have one by the brand Mineral Fusion that's effective and pretty cost friendly. I just dust it onto my scalp when I go outside and never feel like I have a powdery residue.

Length
    16/23/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by claudiarae View Post
    I don't use this primarily on the hair itself, but for my part line I love powdered sunscreen! I have one by the brand Mineral Fusion that's effective and pretty cost friendly. I just dust it onto my scalp when I go outside and never feel like I have a powdery residue.
    I've never heard of a powdered sunscreen! I like the sound of it... less stickiness or coated feeling.

Going back to the OP question.... I don't currently protect my hair from UV. I actually like the sun streaks I get. If I was worried I'd move my part around so the same hair didnt get the sun every day.
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.
    No trims since June 10th 2021, aiming for fairytale ends.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

The only "part" you would need SPF is on the part, so where the scalp shows. The rest of the hair? If you want to avoid discoloration from the sun if you are that much into it, then yes, but other than that, I would consider that not necessary, well, not for me personally.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I used some kind of UV protection for my hair over 20 years ago, but it was greasy and I had to keep my hair well away from my face. I can’t remember if it was particularly effective but I found it better in the end to use a hat or a scarf. Maybe more modern formulations are better. When they say they give UV protection I’m never sure if they mean against day to day sun exposure, or against very strong sunshine that would burn your skin in 20 minutes.

I always cover my hair in the sun these days because my hair gets sun bleached very easily, and once that has happened, it will split. I find a scarf to be more comfortable than a hat in very hot weather, but sometimes the brim from the hat is welcome additional protection for my face.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
    I noticed the hair on my crown is much frizzier than the hair at my nape, and I'm pretty sure the culprit is sun damage.
    I also have much more frizz along the hairline than elsewhere, but can confidently confirm it's not from sun damage. I wear a headscarf whenever I'm outdoors/in public and, while I sometimes let the lengths of my hair peek out in a braid, the hairline and crown are always covered. Of course, my hair isn't your hair, though! And I definitely see a difference in terms of sun bleaching along my lengths, even though I probably only have them exposed to the sun a couple of times per month.

I used to mix sunscreen with conditioner and put it in my hair sometimes-- years ago we had a discussion about that here-- but stopped doing it. I never wore "sunscreen" on my hair in Thailand (I usually had a hat on, but that would've only protected the hair directly under the hat) and didn't have issues.

I agree that sunburns in the part of your hair suck, though! Worst is when they start peeling... it happened to me once years ago and it took me a few minutes to figure out why I suddenly seemed to have humongous turbo dandruff... then realized it was the sunburn peeling. I can't even remember how I dealt with that when I had to go out in public.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.