Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Olaplex safe for henna-treated hair?

Length
    13/13/24
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Is Olaplex safe for henna-treated hair?

Hi!! I bought some Olaplex No. 0 and No. 3 after hearing of its benefits for all hair types. But it just occurred to me! I henna my hair! Will the chemicals of Olaplex react with the henna dye in my hair?

Thanks in advance!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Is Olaplex safe for henna-treated hair?

I don't think I know the answer to that question.

I do know it's fine to use if your hair is unprocessed as well or say you do a lot of heat or color or something like that.

It's a bonder, and I don't think that's going to react to henna, but *do not take my word for it*. I no longer henna, and I threw out my N3 bottle because it gave me & my mom flakes. It did. And yes it's the legit bottle, bought from a legit source.

Such a waste.

If I was going to re-try, I would buy either the shampoo or the straight up conditioner of it. No more messing about with washing your hair first, putting that stuff on, washing it again. The hassle!

ETA/ Can you imagine? "Here mom this is superb stuff, try this! Trust me! It's going to do wonders for your hair." Mom does. Flakes all over in the lengths of her hair. My God, I could sink through a hole in the floor! We got them out with a fine tooth comb, but still. It should not happen. I tried it after that: same thing. Now my mom does use hairspray in her hair, and yes she brushes it out before a wash, and other products do not react to this. Yes, I use gels and stylers in my hair, but brush it out pre-wash; it should not do that! Other things don't do that!
    Last edited by lapushka; January 8th, 2022 at 09:59 AM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    10/17/24
    Type
    4c/F/iii

I strand tested Olaplex on my henna and indigo hair a few years ago. No reaction of note. I ended up not using Olaplex for other reasons.

Length
    13/13/24
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Oh, no, lapushka! 😱 Internet hugs! Thanks so much for your replies, both of you.

I will try No.0 today and No.3 tonight, and will update if there are any adverse effects! 🤞

Length
    Buzz/CBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

When I had my hennaed hair thermally rebonded (straight perm), I used Olaplex No 3 without issue. I've continued to use it occasionally throughout the years.

Tip for the flake problems: I used to apply it all over, but now I just apply it to the length of my hair. I felt it was a drag to shampoo, towel dry, apply olaplex all over, wait an hour, shampoo and condition again. So now I just shampoo, skip conditioner, apply olaplex concentrated at ends up to ears (like a leave in) and then bun it. It works as long as it stays wet, and my hair takes like 8 hours or more to dry if it's in a bun (even at CBL), so I feel like it increases the benefit for me. It will feel kind of weird until my next wash, usually a day or two later, and then it will feel silkier after actually shampooing and conditioning after the olaplex. Hopefully that is helpful to someone...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by stardust lady View Post
    When I had my hennaed hair thermally rebonded (straight perm), I used Olaplex No 3 without issue. I've continued to use it occasionally throughout the years.

Tip for the flake problems: I used to apply it all over, but now I just apply it to the length of my hair. I felt it was a drag to shampoo, towel dry, apply olaplex all over, wait an hour, shampoo and condition again. So now I just shampoo, skip conditioner, apply olaplex concentrated at ends up to ears (like a leave in) and then bun it. It works as long as it stays wet, and my hair takes like 8 hours or more to dry if it's in a bun (even at CBL), so I feel like it increases the benefit for me. It will feel kind of weird until my next wash, usually a day or two later, and then it will feel silkier after actually shampooing and conditioning after the olaplex. Hopefully that is helpful to someone...
    The flake issue actually happened on the lengths of the hair, it was all over! My case too. My mom uses hairspray all over. I use styling products on my lengths; still, it should not do that, especially not for being a "choice" product and super expensive.

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I am also looking into Olaplex. My hair is not coated with anything but due to the price I am still hesistant.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think if your hair is not particularly badly damaged, save yourself the cost. It's not going to do miraculous things. If it is bleach damaged, or color-damaged (not just colored but really damaged from the service) or you run frequent straighteners through it: worth it, probably.

I just figured, if the "thing" can't hack (well brushed out) styling products, then good riddance.

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

But isn't the instruction to clarify the hair first? Probably I am wrong. My hair has mechanical damage mostly and 4 bottom inches are quite badly split but I don't want to cut :/

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by juliaxena View Post
    But isn't the instruction to clarify the hair first? Probably I am wrong. My hair has mechanical damage mostly and 4 bottom inches are quite badly split but I don't want to cut :/
    Yes, we did that, wash, apply, then wash. I thought I mentioned that, even.