Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone ever use temporary dark dye while growing out henna?

Length
    Buzz/CBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Default Re: Anyone ever use temporary dark dye while growing out henna?

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Phew. And I was thinking to myself, should I even mention it?

Maybe one time at the colorist, and then "approximate" it with a semi/demi or deposit dye (if possible). And you're good to go. Even though a second trip might not be bad for when your roots come in. Different ballgame altogether with just covering henna versus roots & henna.
    Yep, my thoughts exactly. No idea how hard it will be to totally hide the red, or how the roots will look as it grows, but I suspect that going as dark as possible will help. Hopefully my face can handle a dark enough shade to successfully hide the growth... Fingers crossed.

Length
    Buzz/CBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

So, in case anyone is interested, I did a couple dye experiments over the last couple days. Yesterday I tried Clairol Beautiful Collection Semi Permanent in darkest brown - made it darker, a medium brown color that was still pretty orange/red. Wasn't happy with it. Was pretty convinced darker would be better.

So today I used Ion Color Brilliance Semi Permanent in black. I left it on double the time it suggested. Boy oh boy is my hair black. Aaaaannndd ... It looks terrible. Ha. My partner said it "doesn't look bad" (which also means it doesn't look good). I was hoping that I would have a snow white thing going on, but unfortunately I look even worse than I did before.

Glad I didn't use indigo!! I'll do a vitamin C + dandruff shampoo treatment tomorrow and I'm sure I can get it to a nice dark brown. I'm starting to entertain the idea of shaving my head again and just buying a wig...

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Thanks for the update! Sorry to hear your experiments arenít turning out how youíd like. I hope the Vit C helps get it back to a color you like. Please keep us updated, and donít be shy about deep conditioning!
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Henndigo head, daily wash and go, annual trimmer

Length
    Buzz/CBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Vitamin C pulled out a bit of color but now it's a reddish black. I used makeup to make my eyebrows darker and used lots of eyeliner and mascara, so now I don't look half bad! Still a little off but not terrible! The color is so pretty and it looks soo cool with my lions mane hair texture, but I'm definitely not going to be keeping it since I don't want to have to rely on makeup to look good enough to leave the house.

About to try Color Oops... I realize I'm doing a lot to stress my hair, but I'm feeling like I just want to grow my natural color out, so I'm not trying to really preserve the health of this hair since I'm probably going to maintain at shoulder and keep chopping off the color.

I'm very interested to see if the Color Oops removes the black (semi permanent) and also if it removes any henna. I know it's possible since I've seen it done before. But my expectations are low. Will update afterwards

Length
    Buzz/CBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Color Oops did pull a tiny bit of color, enough to feel more comfortable going to the store. It still looks incredibly off. I booked a consult for a color correction. I think I'll have the dye removed and the hair lightened, then tone out some of the orange. I'm just going to try growing out my natural color, which does have some ginger in it, so the henna shouldn't be a big deal. Well, at least I hope not.
    Buzz - Pixie - Bob - Shoulder - CBL - APL - MBL - Waist

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

The darker the dye and the longer its been on the hair, the harder it is to remove with color oops. You might need 2 or 3 rounds to pull out as much dark as possible.

That will make it easier for the salon to lighten before trying to color match.
    Make sure the salon does a test strip

Length
    Buzz/CBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    The darker the dye and the longer its been on the hair, the harder it is to remove with color oops. You might need 2 or 3 rounds to pull out as much dark as possible.

That will make it easier for the salon to lighten before trying to color match.
    Make sure the salon does a test strip
    Thankfully it's mostly washed out by now, back to looking reddish brown. Darker shade than before, but I haven't shampooed that many times yet. Kind of thinking of holding off as long as possible to color correct, so that there are lots of roots they can try to match. I still have no idea what my natural color looks like so I'm unsure if I show them pictures of what it looked like before dying, if that will even match what it looks like now. Can probably just throw a headband on. No way I'm growing out a pixie again.