Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it normal for BAQ henna (Raj/Moroccan) to fade out throughout the months?

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Default Is it normal for BAQ henna (Raj/Moroccan) to fade out throughout the months?

A few months ago, I've hennaed my hair with a basic paste (powder + distilled water). However, the color gradually fades/lightens throughout the months. Is this normal for BAQ henna as well?
    If you have dark brown hair, how often do you have to reapply the henna over the length to maintain the desired color?

Default Re: Is it normal for BAQ henna (Raj/Moroccan) to fade out throughout the months?

Do you have hard water? My henna used to dull over time until I used a chelating shampoo to get rid of the mineral deposits. The henna was still the same colour underneath.

If it has got lighter is it possible the sun has bleached your hair? Mine only lightens through sun and environmental damage (so I cover it to protect it from the elements).

My hair is medium chestnut brown, for reference. I haven’t hennaed for nearly 4 years and the colour has stayed the same.

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Is it normal for BAQ henna (Raj/Moroccan) to fade out throughout the months?

Lady Stardust: yes, I have hard water but clarify with a chelating shampoo once a month. But I also notice fading at a few silver strands.

The sun may have played a role too as I recently was on holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Fimu View Post
    Lady Stardust: yes, I have hard water but clarify with a chelating shampoo once a month. But I also notice fading at a few silver strands.

The sun may have played a role too as I recently was on holiday.
    Ah yes silvers can sometimes have a harder time taking henna. You could try another all over henna but beware that the colour could go deeper red, so it’s best to strand test if you can.

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    Ah yes silvers can sometimes have a harder time taking henna. You could try another all over henna but beware that the colour could go deeper red, so it’s best to strand test if you can.
    I thought so. So looking at my silvers isn't a good indicator of the extent of henna fade?
    Thanks for the heads up, but I only have a few stray silvers on my temples and use them to track my hair growth speed, so I wouldn't mind if their color looks off.

Length
    Jaw/APL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Fimu View Post
    A few months ago, I've hennaed my hair with a basic paste (powder + distilled water). However, the color gradually fades/lightens throughout the months. Is this normal for BAQ henna as well?
    If you have dark brown hair, how often do you have to reapply the henna over the length to maintain the desired color?
    Another possibility is that you need to add a slightly acidic liquid to your mix to make the stain permanent. In Ancient Sunrise/Henna for Hair's ebook chapter 7, they explain that henna can sometimes fade when mixed only with water:

"The acidic paste maintains the hydrogen atoms on the corners of the aglycone, the intermediate form of the lawsone molecule. In acidic mixes of henna, the intermediate form of lawsone will migrate into the keratin in hair or skin, and darken as it binds permanently with the keratin by a Michael Addition.
    If the henna powder is mixed only with water, the hydrogen atoms are not as well conserved. Henna mixed with water is more likely to fade from hair because unbound lawsone will gradually wash out of hair. Henna mixed with a mildly acidic mix will leave a stain in hair that is not only permanent, but will gradually darken, and continue to darken for years."
    http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/

There's a lot of info there. They have a really comprehensive list of acids and how different ones affect the result. For example, a lemon juice mix will darken a lot on hair, but a cranberry juice mix will not darken much, leaving hair coppery. So definitely strand test, as others have said, and decide if you're going to do roots only or a whole-head application, because henna on top of previous henna will darken your result as well.

Hope you can get something out of that. Good luck!

Length
    14"/14"/40"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Seconding this. Been using henna for years and I've always used lemon juice in my mix, never had any issues with fading, but almost everyone I know who uses just water, does. You can use slightly acidic herbal teas, a dash of ACV, even plain orange juice, I imagine; straight up, nothing-but-lemon-juice can be harsh on people's scalp and hair.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I have no clue how it would compare to a straight water mixture because I've never used one, but this is the henna "recipe" in my family: make a cup of plain black tea, let it steep until it is completely cold, add to the henna powder, refill the teacup with lemon juice, add in, and then mix as much water to get to the desired texture. For what it is worth, a friend of mine is a professional henna artist (this guy specifically, if it matters to you) and when I asked, they told me that acid content seems to affect the dye release time but not the amount of time needed to stain or the fastness of the stain. Noam does "hand henna," though, not henna for hair, so that could perhaps be different.

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Thanks for the tip! I mixed henna only with distilled water and thus no acids, which explains why the dye fades on my hair throughout the months.

Aside of hibiscus, what other teas do you recommend as acidic agent?

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

About the acidic. I actually don't agree.

I've tried henna both with and without and the only difference was that my hair got dry with it. That's it. And I'm not the only one who's noticed that.

Acid is needed for henna tattoos and nails, to penetrate the skin and nails. I'm using henna on my nails, and there I notice a big difference with or without acid.

And henna will oxidize for a few days. After that it will not darken anymore, no matter what you used in the mix.

As for adding coffee and tea. I've tried it and it made no difference for me.

But if you still want to try adding stuff, I recommend something less drying, like hibiscus, applecider vinegar or black tea (not acidic).

I believe that your henna has faded because of the silver.

For learning more about henna I recommend our own NightShade's ebook https://www.nightblooming.com/produc...turally-ebook/

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights