Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Please? Why Hasn't My Hair Grown?

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Help Please? Why Hasn't My Hair Grown?

Hi all,

I have a question. I've been growing my hair for 10 years since 2010, and I can see in between those years I haven't gotten anywhere with length. I've started out with a chin length bob, and now it's at armpit length. Five months ago I had cut back to shoulder length. Because, I've heard voices telling me that I needed a haircut or a trim. I asked my mother if she thought that I needed a trim, and she said, "No, your ends look fine." As for my routine I'm doing everything right. For the summer months I wash every other day, and for the winter months I have now changed it to either once or twice a week. During every wash in the summer months I do use a hair mask, and I deep condition once week. Also, during the winter months I use a hair mask once or twice a week during every wash. After every wash I use a leave-in conditioner, and before blow drying I use a lotion that is oil-based for moisturizing. But after every wash I don't use any heat until it's 100% air dried. The only time I used heat on it is when I blow dry it only for 4-5 minutes. This year I did join the "No Trim Challenge," and for next year I've joined that challenge as well.

I really need to know what am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be strongly appreciated!
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    APL/28"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Help Please? Why Hasn't My Hair Grown?

Without knowing anything else, my first guess is that you're cutting/trimming faster than it's growing. Did it grow back from the shoulder length cut to APL in the last 5 months? If so, that sounds like a normal growth rate.

On average hair grows 6 inches a year. So a trimming schedule of visiting the hairdresser 4x per year can very easily result in 0 net growth even if they take off less than 2" per visit. I've found that even when I tell a hairdresser I only want a small trim and am trying to grow my hair they often end up taking over an inch off. If you happen to have a slower growth rate than average this would be enough to prevent you from gaining any length.

As a first step, try measuring your growth each month. Once you know how much you're getting it'll simplify the trouble shooting process. Anything from 1/4-1"/month is within the range of normal. If you're getting less growth than that then you may need to start looking at sources of damage and/or health factors that are slowing you down.

Also do you mean you are literally hearing voices that tell you to cut your hair? Because this is definitely something to discuss with a doctor.
    BSL~WL~HL~TBL?~classic...?

26-27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39-40-41-42

Length
    3.9/24/30
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by memeow View Post
    Without knowing anything else, my first guess is that you're cutting/trimming faster than it's growing. Did it grow back from the shoulder length cut to APL in the last 5 months? If so, that sounds like a normal growth rate.

On average hair grows 6 inches a year. So a trimming schedule of visiting the hairdresser 4x per year can very easily result in 0 net growth even if they take off less than 2" per visit. I've found that even when I tell a hairdresser I only want a small trim and am trying to grow my hair they often end up taking over an inch off. If you happen to have a slower growth rate than average this would be enough to prevent you from gaining any length.

As a first step, try measuring your growth each month. Once you know how much you're getting it'll simplify the trouble shooting process. Anything from 1/4-1"/month is within the range of normal. If you're getting less growth than that then you may need to start looking at sources of damage and/or health factors that are slowing you down.

Also do you mean you are literally hearing voices that tell you to cut your hair? Because this is definitely something to discuss with a doctor.
    Great reply. I would only add do you wear you hair in protective styling? When I was wearing my hair down all the time it never got longer than APL.

Length
    0.5"/29"/CL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Hi Dark40!

First off, I wouldn't say you haven't achieved anything with length - chin length to APL is still something, your hair is definitely growing! I agree that if you're trimming regularly, you may be trimming off your progress especially if you have a relatively slow or even average growth rate. And no need to trim if your ends still look fine - so good luck on the no trimming challenge next year! I also wonder about the voices, I thought initially you meant people around you telling you to trim, but if it's more along what memeow suggests I hope you're managing ok.

If it's not just a trimming issue the usual suspects are mechanical damage and chemical damage. Seeing as you don't use heat on your hair (I doubt 4-5 min of blowdrying will have this much of an effect on length retention), something else would be a culprit. Do you chemically dye or treat your hair in any way? If you have fragile hair chemical treatments could be weakening the strands and causing breakage.

There's also the component of styling. Is it possible you're getting excessive breakage with the current brush/comb/detangling method you use? Do you wear your hair down and open to the elements frequently? Does it often get caught in things like handbag straps and the like? Those are also some really common causes of damage.

I guess another thing to look into if it doesn't seem like anything obvious could be protein/moisture balance, you might be deep conditioning too often - I've heard of some people deriving damage from having overmoisturised hair, but have no experience of this myself.

I hope you're able to find what the issue is that's making it so difficult to make length progress!
    Last trim 1st Oct 2021.
    Buzz-SL[18"]-APL[21"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[32"]- TBL[36"]-Classic[40"]

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

You relax and dye your hair as well, right? Combined with heat, those things are very damaging, and on textured hair, possibly even more so. Try going a year without relaxing or dying to start. I'm certain you'll notice a difference.

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

For me it was hormones. Now my hair grows like weeds, in fact annoyingly so. So I would suggested finding a good naturopath type doctor, getting a full blood work up and figure out if there's anything there.

also after almost 10 years here I'm just realizing my hair hates sls (scalp prolly needs it but hair disintegrates ) so it's all a learning process! Hang in there!
    Last edited by Wendyp; November 24th, 2021 at 07:28 AM.
    <em> still trimming to BCL. 3.0 thickness. Using Paul Mitchell alternating with cleansing conditioner and doing LOC. See if this keeps my ends stronger.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    You relax and dye your hair as well, right? Combined with heat, those things are very damaging, and on textured hair, possibly even more so. Try going a year without relaxing or dying to start. I'm certain you'll notice a difference.
    I came here to ask this as well. I recall you talking about doing those things, if you are, that's most likely the culprit.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    This. I think given that you relax your hair... that in and of itself can be enough, not saying it is, but saying it can be enough to explain this lack of growth.

Have you ever thought of going natural. You say your texture is 2c/3a? It should be a breeze to manage.

Yes, some people are literally hooked on straight hair, but in the end if it comes down to either length or the texture of your hair, tough choices need to be made.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

In addition to what has already been said, it's possible that you are a person with a short growth cycle. Hair length is determined by amount that it grows per month multiplied by how many months it actively grows. I did once have a roommate whose hair never got longer than around APL no matter what she did, and even after she moved out, I saw her off and on for years. In retrospect, her hairs must have not had more than 3-4 years of active growth before shedding out and starting over with a new hair. It's been more than 30 years. I recently saw pictures of her, and her hair is the same length.

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by memeow View Post

Thank you for your response! Yes, I think you're right that I'm cutting/trimming faster then my hair is growing. Since I've cut back to shoulder length 5 months ago, and it grown back to APL I won't cut nor trim it for a long while. Yes, I have learned that hair grows 6 inches a year. I thank you for saying that my hair growth rate is normal. Yes, at times I hear voices telling me to cut/trim my hair. I thank you for the advice on going seeing a doctor about that. I'm already seeing one and I'm taking meds for it. I am going to stop listening to those negative voices telling me to cut/trim my hair all of the time, and I'm not planning on cutting/trimming it for a long while until I have reach my long-term goal. I thank you so very much for saying that my hair growth rate is normal.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)