Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Please? Why Hasn't My Hair Grown?

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Re: Help Please? Why Hasn't My Hair Grown?

Again all,
    I thank you very much for your responses and your advice! I will let you know in the near future how it turns out!
    Last edited by Dark40; November 29th, 2021 at 11:52 AM. Reason: I forgot to add a statement.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    APL/28"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    Again all,
    I thank you very much for your responses and your advice! I will let you know in the near future how it turns out!
    Best of luck! You’ve gotten lots of input (maybe more than you bargained for!) but I just want to reiterate: tracking growth and trims on a monthly or quarterly basis will help you see what’s working and what isn’t, and provide a baseline for trouble shooting. If you’re getting good growth but cutting off a lot of damage, you’ll need a different path forwards than if you’re just not getting much growth each month. Keeping track of this is boring and slow, but a year from now that data will help you see exactly where the trade-offs are.
    BSL~WL~HL~TBL?~classic...?

26-27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39-40-41-42

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by memeow View Post
    Best of luck! You’ve gotten lots of input (maybe more than you bargained for!) but I just want to reiterate: tracking growth and trims on a monthly or quarterly basis will help you see what’s working and what isn’t, and provide a baseline for trouble shooting. If you’re getting good growth but cutting off a lot of damage, you’ll need a different path forwards than if you’re just not getting much growth each month. Keeping track of this is boring and slow, but a year from now that data will help you see exactly where the trade-offs are.
    Thank you! Yes, I have gotten a lot of input, and yes it was more than I had bargained for. Yes, that's true that tracking growth and trims on a monthly or quarterly basis will help me see what's working and what isn't. I think it is because I've cut my hair 5 months ago as fast as my hair is growing. I really wish that I had left it alone. Because, the ends looked just fine. Overall, my hair is pretty much strong. I remember my aunt on my dad's side of the family that had very long hair to her butt when she was a lot younger said that in order to grow hair that long in our family or genes would take forever. I was thinking that she was meaning her hair growth rate per month was a lot slower than my is. Because, my hair has always been known to grow fast. But I think that I'll be keeping track and measuring every 3 or 4 months.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    22APL/33HL/43CLS
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Thank you! Yes, I have gotten a lot of input, and yes it was more than I had bargained for. Yes, that's true that tracking growth and trims on a monthly or quarterly basis will help me see what's working and what isn't. I think it is because I've cut my hair 5 months ago as fast as my hair is growing. I really wish that I had left it alone. Because, the ends looked just fine. Overall, my hair is pretty much strong. I remember my aunt on my dad's side of the family that had very long hair to her butt when she was a lot younger said that in order to grow hair that long in our family or genes would take forever. I was thinking that she was meaning her hair growth rate per month was a lot slower than my is. Because, my hair has always been known to grow fast. But I think that I'll be keeping track and measuring every 3 or 4 months.
    I think thatís a good idea to keep track of your growth. I used to believe that my hair was on the slow side of the growth cycle until I began measuring it. It turns out Iím average with the occasional spurt.
    <a href=https://i.imgur.com/ofd4S3m.jpg target=_blank>https://i.imgur.com/ofd4S3m.jpg</a>

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I thought this was pretty good standard advice also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UOc...ist=WL&index=4
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I thought this was pretty good standard advice also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UOc...ist=WL&index=4
    Thank you for that video! It is certainly excellent advice!
    I don't deep condition twice a week. I may use a hair mask depending on how me and my hair feels but I remember when I was in high school back in the mid 1080s all I would do is one week do a hot oil treatment, and then the next week do a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment, and that was only twice a month. The hot oil treatments were also only twice a month as well, and my hair was always very healthy. But I really enjoyed watching that video and getting some tips on her advice! I may subscribe to her youtube channel.

Oh, and I am no longer going to listen to these 2 women that told me that I needed to trim or cut my hair 5 months ago.
    Last edited by Dark40; December 4th, 2021 at 07:10 PM. Reason: I forgot to add a statement.

Type
    3a/M/i/ii

It wasnít mentioned I donít think but your relaxer application is super important. Itís critical not to overlap the chemical on previously relaxed hair. You sound like you have lots of experience with relaxers but I thought this was worth mentioning because itís a common mistake.

Thereís a thread on here somewhere where they discuss maintenance to prevent damage. I wish I could remember the name of it but some of the advice is stuff like ďtreat your hair like fine silkĒ and comb through it the same way. It just emphasized being ultra gentle with your hair.

Happy growing!

Length
    17.5/22/27
    Type
    4a/F/M/i/ii

Missmelaniem makes an amazing point.

I changed my relaxer technique to include oiling all my hair that had already been relaxed before starting to protect it just like how we use vaseline to protect our skin. It has made a huge difference in the quality of my hair. No more accidental overprocessing from overlapping relaxer near the root or from the rinse out before the neutralizing shampoo. I highly highly recommend that you only let relaxer touch new growth. So much less dryness and breakage in my experience.

Also, I'm not knowledgeable on this as I don't change my hair colour, but I've heard you're meant to wait a certain amount of time after relaxing to use dyes and vice versa to make sure you're not doing too much damage to your hair.

I'm like you, in that my hair can still grow long with relaxer. But it's faster and in SO much better condition when being more careful on application, following it up with Olaplex treatments, using CWC and always always wrapping my hair to sleep. It's crazy how much more length I retain now.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thank you for that video! It is certainly excellent advice!
    I don't deep condition twice a week. I may use a hair mask depending on how me and my hair feels but I remember when I was in high school back in the mid 1080s all I would do is one week do a hot oil treatment, and then the next week do a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment, and that was only twice a month. The hot oil treatments were also only twice a month as well, and my hair was always very healthy. But I really enjoyed watching that video and getting some tips on her advice! I may subscribe to her youtube channel.

Oh, and I am no longer going to listen to these 2 women that told me that I needed to trim or cut my hair 5 months ago.
    You're welcome! She's super nice. And the previous video I posted is bomb too. I would check both out, but it's all up to you.

And I agree on the overlap too. It's how I got damage after having my 2nd curly perm applied after about 4-6 months. Never again, for me, but again, that's personal and totally up to you.

If you like the relaxer, please make sure it's done in the best possible circumstances.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLady View Post
    Missmelaniem makes an amazing point.

I changed my relaxer technique to include oiling all my hair that had already been relaxed before starting to protect it just like how we use vaseline to protect our skin. It has made a huge difference in the quality of my hair. No more accidental overprocessing from overlapping relaxer near the root or from the rinse out before the neutralizing shampoo. I highly highly recommend that you only let relaxer touch new growth. So much less dryness and breakage in my experience.

Also, I'm not knowledgeable on this as I don't change my hair colour, but I've heard you're meant to wait a certain amount of time after relaxing to use dyes and vice versa to make sure you're not doing too much damage to your hair.

I'm like you, in that my hair can still grow long with relaxer. But it's faster and in SO much better condition when being more careful on application, following it up with Olaplex treatments, using CWC and always always wrapping my hair to sleep. It's crazy how much more length I retain now.
    I think your hair looks super nice (just look at your hair in your avatar, I mean it's amazing). It's like you don't have any damage, at all. That is something! I think your efforts are well worth it! But not everyone can do a good bra strap length that is flawless! Even that in itself is: OMG!

Good job, girl!