Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Please? Why Hasn't My Hair Grown?

Length
    Buzz/CBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Default Re: Help Please? Why Hasn't My Hair Grown?

The stylist who did my Japanese straight perm told me that I had extremely healthy hair (at least before the perm). By the end of it, we had to cut off about 3 inches. That's how much damage was done in a single straight perm. I used Olaplex 3 several times after that, and I still ended up cutting most of it off. Personally, I decided to just live with my waves/curls - the mixed texture of my hair (1c/2a at the crown/bangs and 2c everywhere else) at least encourages me to keep it tied up in a protective style. I'd rather be able to grow it long, because I'm honestly tired of having hair that is APL and higher and just want to be able to do long braids and stuff. Not saying that this is what you should do, but I know that it was the only way I could grow my hair. I have a really average growth rate, and some hair dressers have even said it's a bit fast, and the hair itself is super healthy and intact. Even with all those variables being good, I still couldn't handle any kind of chemical processing. Can't even imagine what adding conventional hair dye would do to that. I'd imagine that you're hair is super strong for being able to handle both of these, and it might really be amazing if you learn to embrace the texture.

Then again, I totally understand just wanting straight hair. I'm banking on the fact that having longer hair will stretch my texture out, so maybe that is also a possibility?
    Buzz - Pixie - Bob - Shoulder - CBL - APL - MBL - Waist

Length
    SL/APL/MBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I'll cut in with another subject since nobody mentioned it before have you looked at your diet and thought about all the things you can do to strengthen your hair from inside . I'm not talking about magic pills that cost a fortune, but there is a number of tricks that actually promote hair growth.
    I swear by nettle tea some people have also good results with nettle&horsetail, and then hair tonics and different scalp treatment that promote growth, usually with biotin, herbs and essential oils ( rosemary, horseradish, ginseng, the list goes on and on)
    And I'd second the advices about ditching the relaxer
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Length
    APL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by paulownia View Post
    I'll cut in with another subject since nobody mentioned it before have you looked at your diet and thought about all the things you can do to strengthen your hair from inside . I'm not talking about magic pills that cost a fortune, but there is a number of tricks that actually promote hair growth.
    I swear by nettle tea some people have also good results with nettle&horsetail, and then hair tonics and different scalp treatment that promote growth, usually with biotin, herbs and essential oils ( rosemary, horseradish, ginseng, the list goes on and on)
    And I swear by biotin and vitamin D
    Those 2 things helped my hair grow out thicker and tremendously lessened shedding. I only know this because I used to be vitamin deficient. I do think diet and vitamins play a massive role in hair's health, more than you would think.. Even if you aren't necessarily deficient

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by illicitlizard View Post
    Wish I could "like" other people's posts on this forum, this video is very straightforward, good find!
    I love that girl, love her vibe! She does not normally do sponsored content, so there's that. ETA/ It hurt me a bit that this was the video I had to link, but hey, why not sponsored content, right? It's a smaller channel. And a gem, if you ask me!
    Last edited by lapushka; November 28th, 2021 at 04:38 AM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./55/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    And I swear by biotin and vitamin D
    Those 2 things helped my hair grow out thicker and tremendously lessened shedding. I only know this because I used to be vitamin deficient. I do think diet and vitamins play a massive role in hair's health, more than you would think.. Even if you aren't necessarily deficient
    I agree. I take massive amounts of biotin (>350X the "% Daily Value") in addition to what I "eat" and my nails are considerably stronger for it.
    Last edited by foreveryours; November 28th, 2021 at 11:17 AM. Reason: oops, 350 not 35!
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

Length
    12/30"/38 "
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I love that girl, love her vibe! She does not normally do sponsored content, so there's that. ETA/ It hurt me a bit that this was the video I had to link, but hey, why not sponsored content, right? It's a smaller channel. And a gem, if you ask me!
    That was a nice video. Very nice presentation without those coy hipsterisms so many youtubers do, lol. It is indeed a gem.

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    Ok, well I haven't said that I was going to stop the relaxing and dyeing, and yes just like my friend that had healthy long relaxed and dyed hair I have as well, and also my 76 year old mother. She has been relaxed and dyed from the age of 14 up until now, and her hair is veerry healthy at a nice long length. :-) And, from the time I was 5 or 6 years old when I got my first relaxer my hair was also very long and veerry healthy as well. I was referring to 5 months ago it wasn't growing from that point. But, it's growing back to APL now. But I've always known that in order to have veerry healthy relaxed and dyed long hair....it's according to how well you take good care of it, and Wendypp had a good point about the menopause thing. It does affect everything not just the hair, and I have learned from older women that has been through it says that it has affected their by either thinning or shedding but not for a long period of time. It went away once they passed the menopausal state.

I'm so sorry if you got confused.

Nope, it ain't going to be stagnant. Because, both me and my mother have had veerry healthy long relaxed and dyed hair all of our lives, and her hair is at a very nice length, and it hardly ever breaks off or ever gets damaged. It's according to how well you take good care of it.
    I want to add that I had to stop chemical dying my hair too. It just destroyed my hair. I'm gray but I color with cassia and a bunch of other stuff like yellow dock. And now I stopped using sls. It was hard to say bye to chemicals because my hubby loves very light blonde hair and I had to say no for me. Just wanted to make sure I added that.
    Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I thank you all for your responses and advice but I've made the hardest decision to keep continue to straighten and dye my hair. I have grown to nice long lengths doing it with healthy chemically-treated hair before, and my hair is growing right now.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by paulownia View Post
    Yes, thank for mentioning about my diet that no one have ever mentioned in here. Well, I've thought that I could add more protein and iron to my diet. In which I do consume a lot of protein but I'm wondering if it's really enough to strengthen my hair. I thank you so much for the advice on the herbal tea. I can't drink those kind of teas with herbs in it. Because, I have hypertension and high cholesterol, and I'm also taking 2 medications for mental health issues too.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    Well, you asked for advice and we gave it. I'm out. Good luck!
    Yeah, I did ask for advice, and I appreciate you giving it. Yeah, stay out. Thank you for the luck!