Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Please? Why Hasn't My Hair Grown?

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Re: Help Please? Why Hasn't My Hair Grown?

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    You relax and dye your hair as well, right? Combined with heat, those things are very damaging, and on textured hair, possibly even more so. Try going a year without relaxing or dying to start. I'm certain you'll notice a difference.
    Yes, I did say that I relax and dye my hair but now I have brought it down to only relaxing and coloring once or twice a year. I've always stretched out my relaxers at first to 3 or 4 months but now I've stretched it out to every 9 months or so. Thank you for the advice though.

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    I came here to ask this as well. I recall you talking about doing those things, if you are, that's most likely the culprit.
    I don't relax and color my hair that often like my above statement.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    This. I think given that you relax your hair... that in and of itself can be enough, not saying it is, but saying it can be enough to explain this lack of growth.

Have you ever thought of going natural. You say your texture is 2c/3a? It should be a breeze to manage.

Yes, some people are literally hooked on straight hair, but in the end if it comes down to either length or the texture of your hair, tough choices need to be made.
    Yes, I have thought about going natural a lot and just deal with my 2c/3a texture instead of relaxing. You are definitely right that 2c/3a should be a breeze to manage. Becaue, that hair texture is between wavy/curly. Yes, you also so very right that we all get so hooked on straight hair, and it is a touch choice that needs to be made.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Wendyp View Post
    For me it was hormones. Now my hair grows like weeds, in fact annoyingly so. So I would suggested finding a good naturopath type doctor, getting a full blood work up and figure out if there's anything there.

also after almost 10 years here I'm just realizing my hair hates sls (scalp prolly needs it but hair disintegrates ) so it's all a learning process! Hang in there!
    My hair usually grow like weeds too. But I guess since I'm also going through hormone changes like menopause that may be a factor too since I've just turned 50.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    In addition to what has already been said, it's possible that you are a person with a short growth cycle. Hair length is determined by amount that it grows per month multiplied by how many months it actively grows. I did once have a roommate whose hair never got longer than around APL no matter what she did, and even after she moved out, I saw her off and on for years. In retrospect, her hairs must have not had more than 3-4 years of active growth before shedding out and starting over with a new hair. It's been more than 30 years. I recently saw pictures of her, and her hair is the same length.
    Yes, that might be the case. But, I've always known that ever since my childhood my hair could grow a lot longer than APL. During my childhood it was at MBL, and when I made 13 the longest it grew was 2 inches above HL. My hair almost grew to my hips.

Type
    1b/F/i

My hair does not grow like weeds. For years, I couldn't get it past APL. It is now past classic but EXTREMELY THIN (I'm fine with that since I always wear it up and ANY length bulks up my bun). The only thing that worked for length for me was STEPPING AWAY FROM THE SCISSORS. I finally learned that it will be thin if I trim it and it will be thin if I don't trim it. The difference? If I trim it, it's thin AND short.
    (We are) star stuff contemplating the stars...Carl Sagan
    In old age; wandering on paths of beauty; lively may I walk...Night Chant of the Navajo.
    Time is the fire in which we burn...Delmore Schwartz

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    My hair usually grow like weeds too. But I guess since I'm also going through hormone changes like menopause that may be a factor too since I've just turned 50.
    I think menopause can be so different person to person. But I am in menopause, and so far: no changes to my hair. So... I don't think it's as easy as blaming the hormones. Not that it can't be a factor, don't get me wrong here, but I mean, it does not have to be if there's more "obvious" reasons like say that relaxer. It costs money, for one, is difficult to maintain (oh the dreaded overlap), and it's a PITA altogether, if you ask me. I had several curly perms and it was hard to stop with those too. So I get it, it can be so nice to do, but at some point it's a tough choice.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

When I was younger, I would straighten my hair roughly once a year and used boxed dye twice a year. That was the only time I've ever had split ends and breakage.

Even when I was bleaching my hair platinum, I didn't get split ends. Straightening was incredibly damaging.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    When I was younger, I would straighten my hair roughly once a year and used boxed dye twice a year. That was the only time I've ever had split ends and breakage.

Even when I was bleaching my hair platinum, I didn't get split ends. Straightening was incredibly damaging.
    My experience too, even (and this is a bold statement) over my curly perm. Just hot irons, it doesn't matter curling or straightening, just a hot iron. I had one of those round brushes, but with a solid hot plate all around, and so your hair fully got into contact with that. Listen, I had white dots about 1 to 2 inches from my roots going all the way down to shoulder.

Yes, I grew them out and most did not break, and my hair still grew to hip just fine, but that's not the issue. I think all things combined? Recipe for disaster.

And it's not beyond your control, that's the good thing here.
    But it's gonna take time, a whole lot of time (is that how that song goes LOL).

Just a lot, and I mean, a lot of patience.
    But it is at least do-able!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

It's possible that you have a shorter terminal length, but make sure that your thyroid is healthy and that you're getting sufficient iodine.

Length
    ChinL/MBL+/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

You know I'm thinking about using a clarifying shampoo and a protein/moisturizing deep conditioner. It's been wayyyyy long overdue for that type of treatment. Because, I've noticed when I do clarify my hair behaves a lot better then it did before I clarified. I only clarify once a month. Because, I hardly ever see any product build-up. Would using a clarifying shampoo and a protein/moisturizing deep conditioner every two weeks for of any harm?

Length
    APL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dark40 View Post
    You know I'm thinking about using a clarifying shampoo and a protein/moisturizing deep conditioner. It's been wayyyyy long overdue for that type of treatment. Because, I've noticed when I do clarify my hair behaves a lot better then it did before I clarified. I only clarify once a month. Because, I hardly ever see any product build-up. Would using a clarifying shampoo and a protein/moisturizing deep conditioner every two weeks for of any harm?
    That's pretty much my routine and seeing how that works for you shouldn't do any harm. I think regular clarifying should be fine as long as you're following with a deep moisturizing treatment
    Last edited by JasminxCat; November 26th, 2021 at 02:05 AM.