Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming to Terms...

Length
    Jaw/SL/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Default Coming to Terms...

Hi all,

I have lurked this forum for years...like 15 years? Is that possible, have you been around that long? I may have even posted a bit forever ago, but the old username is gone.

I have had every length of hair from shaved all the way to around hip-length. I've never really known how to enjoy or care for the type of hair I've had, which has changed, due to hormones I guess.

Several years ago I discovered the curly girl method, which made so much sense to me and solved a lot of hair problems, and also would have made my childhood a lot more pleasant had I known about it then!

I loved having long hair but it weighed down my waves and I felt like I could never touch it for fear of frizz. Because it was only wavy, I decided to cut my hair to help the waves/curls form better and try to emulate some of the styles that I love on other people. Then I tried henna, which I absolutely loved, except that it straightened what little curl I had.

So I grew out the henna and cut my hair short again to try to achieve those coveted curls. I knew right away it was a mistake and would never look like the picture I brought to the salon. Basically, my hair will wave/curl if I put a ton of effort into it every single day (I don't want high-maintenance hair). But eventually I had to come to terms with the fact that my hair is not the same as it was when I was a kid. I've had babies, and that has really changed the texture. It's still very thick with some wave, and has a tendency to frizz, but I'm never going to get effortless curls the way I used to. I felt like I was expending all this effort, having short hair (which isn't actually my favorite), and avoiding products I loved, to chase after this elusive unicorn that I was never going to find.

I finally admitted to myself that I don't have the curly hair that I used to, and that I love on other people. So I decided that, if this is my hair, I'm going to grow it long again and I'm going to henna. So here I am, back in this process that seems to take forever. I'm going to wait a little while before I henna; I want it to grow a bit longer first. But I'm really chomping at the bit because I loved the color and texture that henna gave my hair. Right now my cut looks awful because it's almost in a mullet-like stage, but I'm stubbornly waiting it out without cutting. I think eventually the layers will just look like normal layers once it's long enough. And if not, I can always trim later. Currently my longest layer is barely touching my shoulders, and my shortest is about jaw-length. I don't really know what my goal is, just longer. Maybe waist, and then who knows?

I'm happy that the LHC exists, I've gotten so much inspiration from here. I've realized that the only thing standing in the way of my goal is me and any urge I might get to cut, since my hair itself is pretty strong and healthy. So that's what I'm up against! Nice to meet you all!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Coming to Terms...

Howdy, nice to meet you! I fight against my own texture, admittedly, but it's in many ways a losing battle. The more balanced approach is certainly to appreciate whatever it is you have

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Hey welcome back. Maybe one of the mods can help you get your old username back. It's definitely worth a shot, I think.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Welcome; have fun; above all - be patient.

Length
    Jaw/SL/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Hi, thanks for the replies! I haven't been able to access LHC for like a week. But I think it was just me?

Length
    Jaw/SL/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/iii

How would I go about contacting one of the mods?

Length
    CL/APL/TBL

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMacWifey View Post
    Hello, and welcome.

Actually, I had the same problem as you, not remembering my username or the e-mail address I had, but one of the mods sent me an e-mail to the one I used to register my "new" account with, and from there helped me merge the two so I got my old account (Für immer) back.
    If indeed you had an account before, they should be able to do the same.
    Alea jacta est ~ Tärningen är kastad

/ Billy

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Do you see that little triangle on the left side of your original post? Click on it, and then report (write something in the box) your own post. That alerts the mod/admin team and they should be able to help you from there.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Jaw/SL/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Thank you, I will do that.

Length
    1/1/24
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Hi all,

I have lurked this forum for years...like 15 years? Is that possible, have you been around that long? I may have even posted a bit forever ago, but the old username is gone.

I have had every length of hair from shaved all the way to around hip-length. I've never really known how to enjoy or care for the type of hair I've had, which has changed, due to hormones I guess.

Several years ago I discovered the curly girl method, which made so much sense to me and solved a lot of hair problems, and also would have made my childhood a lot more pleasant had I known about it then!

I loved having long hair but it weighed down my waves and I felt like I could never touch it for fear of frizz. Because it was only wavy, I decided to cut my hair to help the waves/curls form better and try to emulate some of the styles that I love on other people. Then I tried henna, which I absolutely loved, except that it straightened what little curl I had.

So I grew out the henna and cut my hair short again to try to achieve those coveted curls. I knew right away it was a mistake and would never look like the picture I brought to the salon. Basically, my hair will wave/curl if I put a ton of effort into it every single day (I don't want high-maintenance hair). But eventually I had to come to terms with the fact that my hair is not the same as it was when I was a kid. I've had babies, and that has really changed the texture. It's still very thick with some wave, and has a tendency to frizz, but I'm never going to get effortless curls the way I used to. I felt like I was expending all this effort, having short hair (which isn't actually my favorite), and avoiding products I loved, to chase after this elusive unicorn that I was never going to find.

I finally admitted to myself that I don't have the curly hair that I used to, and that I love on other people. So I decided that, if this is my hair, I'm going to grow it long again and I'm going to henna. So here I am, back in this process that seems to take forever. I'm going to wait a little while before I henna; I want it to grow a bit longer first. But I'm really chomping at the bit because I loved the color and texture that henna gave my hair. Right now my cut looks awful because it's almost in a mullet-like stage, but I'm stubbornly waiting it out without cutting. I think eventually the layers will just look like normal layers once it's long enough. And if not, I can always trim later. Currently my longest layer is barely touching my shoulders, and my shortest is about jaw-length. I don't really know what my goal is, just longer. Maybe waist, and then who knows?

I'm happy that the LHC exists, I've gotten so much inspiration from here. I've realized that the only thing standing in the way of my goal is me and any urge I might get to cut, since my hair itself is pretty strong and healthy. So that's what I'm up against! Nice to meet you all!
    All the very best. My hair is at that phase where I can feel the awkward stage approaching but it's not here yet. Would love to know how to managed to endure that stage without cutting your hair. Good luck and happy growing!