Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Destroyed my hair while lurking... looking for help

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL?
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Destroyed my hair while lurking... looking for help

Quote Originally Posted by meovvmeow View Post
    But prior to that I was overwashing my hair repeatedly sometimes shampooing 5 or more times in a day trying to fix it and make my scalp feel better. I don't think this is a medical issue, I've gotten checked multiple times as well as extensive blood tests. I'm just confused now because I've stopped the compulsive washing and have been waiting between wash days but the second I shampoo even with diluted shampoo, it feel like I washed it 1000x and starts hurting once its dry.
    This right here is the primary problem. No hair or scalp, no matter how healthy to start with, can hold up to such repeated over washing. It sounds like you have been on a healthier wash schedule the last week and a half. Definitely keep an eye on your anxiety and hold to this new routine for awhile. The acid mantle doesnít bounce back overnight. And donít be afraid to seek treatment for anxiety if the compulsion to overwash returns.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Thank you so much, this really helps. I think I needed to hear that it will take a while too. I kept worrying that I needed to change my products if it wasn't better after a few wash days. I have quite a bit of the cowash I used left so I'm going to try and stick to that for now and keep my wash days to only when I need them before dealing with the rest of my hair. I really appreciate the reassurance, your response really calmed my mind about this.
    Youíre welcome, Iím glad it helped

Shout if you want to talk about how itís going, thatís what this forum is all about. Itís really good news that youíve found something that is helping. Time and patience will make all the difference.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Do you have any idea when exactly, if left totally alone, your hair roots become oily? I would go by that to determine when wash day is going to be.

Me, for instance, and I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis), I can go a week. Wash every Sunday morning. I however, do get a tad oily by Friday, but I mean, I can last until Sunday first thing.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

We have lots of people here that do conditioner-only washing! Even with cheap drugstore products

If that is causing the least pain, I'd stick with it for a while. Then you can change just one thing at a time. If you change more than one thing at a time, you won't know which one was the thing that worked, or you might miss it if one thing worked but then another made it worse. Depending on your personality, you might wish to take notes or start a blog here to keep track of what you have tried and what your reactions were. A lot of hairstylists and websites are really trying to sell you stuff, so of course they want you to pick their expensive things and not stuff you can easily find. Some folks really love the expensive salon stuff and that's cool too if it works for them, but that doesn't mean other things are "bad". Something you have probably already noticed is that we have threads for lots and lots of different washing methods here! We all have different scalps and hair and what works for one might not work for someone else. Same with shampoos, that's why they have so many out there.

In case you've not seen it, we have an amazing mega-thread for CO Washing: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ead.php?t=2898 I like to treat the long threads like a book, make a pot of tea and a snack and read it over time.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    27/27/40
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I don't get the "excitement". It was just a question.
    I'm sorry... it was more just my frustration at the fact that I've been trying to seek help and have been ignored by the doctors for so long and told I'm making it up and nothing is wrong. I also had some very unfriendly responses posting elsewhere about it. I have the tendency to over explain things so I'm not misunderstood which.. happens alot.

For your other comment about how long it takes for my hair to be greasy... usually one day following my wash is fine and the day after my head is gross. It's just confusing because it doesn't feel that greasy but it looks like I haven't showered in 2 weeks. It just feels really dry and stiff and kind of like I have chronic 'ponytail ache' even when my hair is down.

Length
    27/27/40
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bookworm View Post
    This right here is the primary problem. No hair or scalp, no matter how healthy to start with, can hold up to such repeated over washing. It sounds like you have been on a healthier wash schedule the last week and a half. Definitely keep an eye on your anxiety and hold to this new routine for awhile. The acid mantle doesnít bounce back overnight. And donít be afraid to seek treatment for anxiety if the compulsion to overwash returns.
    Thank you, and yeah that definitely is the problem. I struggle a lot with sensory sensitivities and the discomfort is really hard to ignore in order to let it heal properly. I am working with a therapist as well to try and manage the anxiety but my sessions are very far apart and time limited so it's a slow journey.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'm sorry... it was more just my frustration at the fact that I've been trying to seek help and have been ignored by the doctors for so long and told I'm making it up and nothing is wrong. I also had some very unfriendly responses posting elsewhere about it. I have the tendency to over explain things so I'm not misunderstood which.. happens alot.

For your other comment about how long it takes for my hair to be greasy... usually one day following my wash is fine and the day after my head is gross. It's just confusing because it doesn't feel that greasy but it looks like I haven't showered in 2 weeks. It just feels really dry and stiff and kind of like I have chronic 'ponytail ache' even when my hair is down.
    I just wanted to tell you that it was just an innocent question on my part. All of us are pretty nice on here, this is not like your typical place on the net.

It's fine to wash every day, or every other day (but not a couple times a day). There are people here who have no choice but to wash every day, and it's really OK!

Length
    27/27/40
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

I'm still so confused. I'm doing well with not overwashing. But the roots of my hair feels so terrible no matter what I do. They feel so brittle and weak. IDK how to explain this but they're SO stiff. Like my middle part is glued down. If I put my hair back or brush it the part wont budge underneath. And the roots just feel so crunchy like how the ends feel when you need a trim badly... it's like prickly especially in my part area and bangs . Scalp is sore if I wash it. Sore if I dont. The only time it doesn't hurt is whennits wet. As soon as it starts drying the problem returns. The hair around the scalp and mid section of my hair also takes so long to dry. The underneath layers will dry before the canopy which is just very confusing.

I had to stop co-washing because the second time I did it left my scalp so dirty and product-y that I ended up getting a few painful bumps, they've gone away with shampoo use. I just dont understand. My roots feel both dirty and completely stripped at the same time. I tried a sulfate shampoo and a pH balanced (5.5) gentle shampoo. Nothing makes a difference. I'm struggling to be consistent when everything seems to cause more issues.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

1/ time to clarify, and get a shampoo that is meant to do so! Suave do one but it has gone sulfate-free I hear, so get the Neutrogena one!
    2/ then re-evaluate, wash a second time, the time when you need to (so not the same day or even the next)

Get back to us then. This sounds a lot like product build-up to me.

Length
    27/27/40
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Would the Herbal Essences Rosehip Shampoo be clarifying? It has sulfates, no silicones, and is clear. I was using that one for two weeks ish when I was on vacation and still had the same issue. I got back two weeks ago and have only used it once since that. I also have the Neutrogena Anti-Residue as well as ION Hard Water Shampoo and Bumble and Bumble Sunday Clarifying Shampoo... would one of those be any better? I'm fairly sure I don't have hard water as my city data looks good on that front and I've lived here for 10 years without hard water issues.