Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Measuring the water content of hair (I thought this was interesting)

Default Re: Measuring the water content of hair (I thought this was interesting)

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post
    I've also thought for a long time my hair is dry, I need to hydrate, but the article actually questions that water benefits the hair in any way.

This is a quote from the article:

Here is a quote from another chemist who blogs on Instagram:

Concerning products who advertise hydration/moisture she says that they don't actually add water to the hair, they only work because they condition.

I think both authors reference the same study.

I wonder if this pertains to the loc method as well: that it works because it conditions and not because it keeps the water in the hair.
    Thank you for those quotes, itís very interesting!

According to the blog post I linked upthread from Science-y Hair Blog (if Iíve understood it correctly anyway) water is beneficial to the hair but problems occur if water penetrates the hair shaft too quickly, or evaporates from the hair too quickly.

The LOC method would help with the latter, slowing down the evaporation, but I agree that some benefit at least would be from the conditioning effect of the products, and from keeping the hair supple.

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Measuring the water content of hair (I thought this was interesting)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    Thank you for those quotes, it’s very interesting!

According to the blog post I linked upthread from Science-y Hair Blog (if I’ve understood it correctly anyway) water is beneficial to the hair but problems occur if water penetrates the hair shaft too quickly, or evaporates from the hair too quickly.

The LOC method would help with the latter, slowing down the evaporation, but I agree that some benefit at least would be from the conditioning effect of the products, and from keeping the hair supple.
    I just read the article you linked. I understood it in the same way you did. So it differs a bit from the view in the cosmeticsandtoiletries article in such a way as the author definitely sees some purpose in retaining water in the hairshaft. Although, using leave in conditioner, like you mentioned, will definitely protect the hair to an extend from mechanical damage as well I imagine. I use a silicone containing hair oil daily for this purpose.
    I'll look for more information on this topic, I'm interested in finding a more definite answer ;-)