Thread: Sock material for sock bun?

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Question Sock material for sock bun?

My concern with the sock bun is the sock causing split ends. Do you use socks made of a certain material or do you sew a softer material around the sock?
    Hello

Default Re: Sock material for sock bun?

I’ve never made a sock bun but I find that any material other than satin dries my hair out.

I think it would be worth sewing silk or satin around. Wearing satin next to my hair has made a huge difference to the outer layer especially.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I would just get one of these donuts, TBH. They don't cost much and it beats snipping socks kaput that cost a whole lot more than that donut thingie which is especially made for hair and that is made of a material that you can pin pins into!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Bob/Knee/Term

A few years back, there was this member who did "skirt buns", lol. (Seeshami or something). Once, a donut girl mocked her natural bun and said it was so small. That member had gorgeous thick hair and her buns were far from being small. But they were not stuffed with a donut. So she decided to respond by faking a giant bun... with a skirt ! She posted pictures. It was so funny !
    Bzzzzzz...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lilbee View Post
    A few years back, there was this member who did "skirt buns", lol. (Seeshami or something). Once, a donut girl mocked her natural bun and said it was so small. That member had gorgeous thick hair and her buns were far from being small. But they were not stuffed with a donut. So she decided to respond by faking a giant bun... with a skirt ! She posted pictures. It was so funny !
    I remember Seesh once did leggings, or was it indeed a skirt? It was major, though! Wish she were still posting!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Last year there was a thread for stuffing goofy things inside your buns. I did a pair of little girl leggings and a toilet paper roll. Whatever happened to that thread?

That doesn't answer the question, though.
    I wouldn't worry about splits unless you're wearing them daily, for dance or something. In that case, you could probably buy a bun form and sew a satiny fabric over it if it wasn't smooth already.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I remember Seesh once did leggings, or was it indeed a skirt? It was major, though! Wish she were still posting!
    This was before my time here but I've seen the skirt bun vid (epic!) and I think she may have done both, leggings after the skirt.

To the original question, I have never been able to make a sock bun without the actual method feeling like it was mangling my ends. If it's a normal, fairly soft sock I wouldn't be overly concerned, or you could oil your hair or put a bit of leave-in on the ends just to give them a bit of protection. I guess you could sew satin over it but wouldn't that make it hard to keep the ends in place while you're rolling it? (Assuming that's the method you're using, rather than the faux version spreading your hair over a bun form.)
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness