Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else constantly have split ends?

Length
    Hip/CL+/Metal
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Does anyone else constantly have split ends?

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I think that's the point though, if the maximum moisture it can hold is very little, then 50% of that is not very much moisture at all.

I think this is one reason why some people use dew points instead of relative humidity, but I can't remember exactly what dew points *are*.
    Yes, but if that matters so much, I don't understand why my hair only reacts the way it does to the sudden increase in temperature and doesn't flinch at the low temperatures in themselves.
    Last edited by Ylva; November 25th, 2021 at 11:12 AM.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

I think that's the point though, if the maximum moisture it can hold is very little, then 50% of that is not very much moisture at all.

I think this is one reason why some people use dew points instead of relative humidity, but I can't remember exactly what dew points *are*.
    I remember you and I talking about this in the past and I was trying to get my head around it!
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=146136&page=4

My hair used to get staticy in frosty weather but it doesn’t seem to anymore (I’ve probably just jinxed it!)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Yes, but if that matters so much, I don't understand why my hair reacts the way it does to the sudden increase in temperature and doesn't flinch at the low temperatures in themselves.
    Interesting. I don't know, maybe this is an area where people's hair reacts differently. It's possible your hair isn't overly bothered by humidity? I haven't taken note of humidity for a very long time as my hair living in its bun largely tends to be unbothered

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    I remember you and I talking about this in the past and I was trying to get my head around it!
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=146136&page=4

My hair used to get staticy in frosty weather but it doesn’t seem to anymore (I’ve probably just jinxed it!)
    Okay wow, you have an excellent memory and superlative thread-finding skills that was a blast from the past! I've not really thought about humidity since then; apart from the aloe Garnier hair food mask making my hair static I haven't noticed any real changes - or rather, not thought about any changes in connection with the weather. Any minor noticeable changes I just tend to deal with as they come. Here's hoping your hair stays static-free in frosty weather!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    BSL/TBL/CL+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I live in a very humid area. I mean, often in these days when I go outside my lashes get wet, not joking! (someone here needs a waterproof mascara) I can say that my hair in this climate feels more weighted down, like I can't WCC like I used to do at home ( = in Italy), expecially in winter time. And it tangles more and get oily faster. At home with temperaturs like this my scalp would be super dry and sensitive.

Speaking for split ends, one of the good things about my hair is that it's not prone to them, so I've never had a lot of splits. I have to carefully search them to find some, even on my most-dead hair. I don't know what makes my hair to be like this, since there are several factor that should increase them (fine hair, wave-ish, long, a lot of tangles, damaged).
    Next Goal: CL. Final Goal: CL+.
    26/07/2019 last bleach - 11/10/2019 last dye

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

It's the reason for my username!

hair-brained
    Length
    pixi/clsic/clsic
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Yes, but if that matters so much, I don't understand why my hair only reacts the way it does to the sudden increase in temperature and doesn't flinch at the low temperatures in themselves.
    Interesting. I don't know, maybe this is an area where people's hair reacts differently. It's possible your hair isn't overly bothered by humidity? I haven't taken note of humidity for a very long time as my hair living in its bun largely tends to be unbothered
    Interesting! My hair doesn't mind high temperatures! I lived in Texas for a bit and had no issues. But cold? Yech

Also love your signature picture @Ylva!!
    ᛃ 2008: 24cm/10" ᛃ 2015: 41cm/16" 2021: 110cm/43"
    instagrampre-poocwc wccpuppy

Okay wow, you have an excellent memory and superlative thread-finding skills that was a blast from the past! I've not really thought about humidity since then; apart from the aloe Garnier hair food mask making my hair static I haven't noticed any real changes - or rather, not thought about any changes in connection with the weather. Any minor noticeable changes I just tend to deal with as they come. Here's hoping your hair stays static-free in frosty weather!
    I have a daft memory for not very useful things, and a useless memory for useful things!

As for split ends, my hair is very prone to them. I’m hoping that it’ll fare better when it’s completely virgin. I haven’t been able to wear my hair up much because of migraines so that will probably limit how long I can grow, but I’m happy with a compromise as long as I can get to MBL-ish.

I have to protect my hair from sun and wind because even minimal exposure will make it split. Luckily I like head scarves!

Length
    17/32/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Unfortunately yes... The longer (and older) my hair is the more split ends I'm dealing with. If I S&D'd them all I think it would take a couple of inches off my length.
    Last edited by sipnsun; Yesterday at 11:27 AM. Reason: Word not needed
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL
    No trim challenge second half of 2021

Length
    SL/APL/MBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    I do, I think everyone does.
    Not everyone
    I'm coming from another spectrum- I don't have split ends, I don't get them. None.
    Maybe I'm just lucky and yes, my hair is not very long
    When this topic comes up I just want to speak up my mind and say that I feel that S&D is doing more damage then benefit.
    Last edited by paulownia; November 28th, 2021 at 08:17 AM.
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Length
    BSL/TBL/CL+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by paulownia View Post
    Not everyone
    I'm coming from another spectrum- I don't have split ends, I don't get them. None.
    Maybe I'm just lucky and yes, my hair is not very long
    When this topic comes up I just want to speak up my mind and say that I feel that S&D is doing more damage then benefit.
    I don't S&D, and I'm glad I can skip that! The only thing that make my hair split is flat iron.
    Next Goal: CL. Final Goal: CL+.
    26/07/2019 last bleach - 11/10/2019 last dye