Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else constantly have split ends?

Default Re: Does anyone else constantly have split ends?

Last edited by Sarah P; November 27th, 2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Removing Account

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Shortly after I joined here, someone (can't remember who--sorry!) recommended I try catnip to prevent splitting. It's worked very well! At first I was doing it weekly, but now I do it when it occurs to me, perhaps every couple of months, and it still seems to help. I got regular old catnip from the pet care aisle, made a tisane out of it, and dipped my hair in it after washing, squeezed out some of the excess, and let it dry. I understand it may have some staining effect on those with very light hair. There's a thread running around to this effect somewhere. . .

Apart from that, I think the main thing I've discovered that's helped over the years is varying the way I put my hair up. Having the bun sometimes higher, sometimes lower, varying the amount of "tassel" on braids and therefore where the tie sits, seems to avoid stressing the same bits of hair over and over and prompting it to split.

Length
    MBL/TBL/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Oh yeah, I get splits all the time and a fair amount are the monster splits. I trim about an inch off every few months and do S&D in between.

Length
    APL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I do, I think everyone does. I try not to obsess. I take care of my hair as much as I can but even that I try not to obsess so much over. I like showing off my length so I wear my hair down more often than not. I want to enjoy it as much as possible without the constant fear of every day activities causing the inevitable split. If it's gotten to a point where it's a hassle to brush through certain sections, then I'll give it a thorough S&D, but that isn't too often

Length
    APL/28"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Yep lots of splits for me too. A lot of them are high enough up that they're not getting trimmed out for a long time, and I do a little S&D but I get obsessive over it sometimes so I try not to do too much. Somehow my hair still seems to grow as long as I keep it up most of the time, so I mostly ignore them.
    BSL~WL~HL~TBL?~classic...?

26-27-28-29-30-31-32-33-34-35-36-37-38-39-40-41-42

Length
    22APL/33HL/43CLS
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Yes, I do get a fair amount of splits, as I do use heat sometimes and from manipulation. I try not to worry about them too much, as they don’t seem to travel up the hair shaft as ‘experts’ claim and I only microtrim, or S & D when they start to tangle or if I think they look I unsightly.

At the end of the day, that hair strand with a split will eventually shed anyway and I believe the hype on keep the splits at bay, is a marketing technique to sell products and services.
    <a href=https://i.imgur.com/ofd4S3m.jpg target=_blank>https://i.imgur.com/ofd4S3m.jpg</a>

hair-brained
    Length
    pixi/clsic/clsic
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Hmm. I have issues with split ends and have noticed a few trends over the years. I don't think I'll ever be split free at longer lengths but I deal with it and have stopped caring, as long as it doesn't look ratty.

Tangly hair
    I thought porous hair > tangly hair > split ends. But this is not true for me. I really don't have porous hair, but I still do have tangly hair. I think this is because:
    - my hair is sooo fine, like ridiculously thin hair strands: this makes them both more fragile and more flexible, which contributes to tangles
    - I also have a lot of them: more hair > more opportunity for tangles...
    - and it's long (even by LHC-standards, I'd say!) these days: again more hair > more opportunity for tangles...
    I think this combination leads to tangly hair, which then leads to splits. Over in the fine hair threads I've notice people with similar hair have the same issue.

Detangling
    I've tried all sorts of detangling methods and I just can't eliminate splits from detangling, no matter how gentle I am. Rough handling does lead to more splits, but gentle tangling does still cause splits for me. I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference for other people, but I do think that I - personally - will just get some split ends from detangling no matter what.

Emollients
    Only silicones work for me, really. I need the heavy duty stuff and silicone-free doesn't cut it. But silicones really do help with the detangling bit. I prefer silicones in rinse out treatments and then oil (natural or otherwise) or serums if my ends are looking in need of extra protection between washes*. I really don't like detangling sprays and leave in conditioners, as they tend to have too much humectants which just leave my hair coated and sticky, which does the opposite of detangling! I think this is because my hair is fairly non-porous and the humectants don't penetrate it they way they're intended to. Heat protectants on wet hair works better though - they usually have silicones of some type and less humectants than other leave-in products. They tend to have alcohol in them though, but as the hair is wet I find it doesn't matter for me, at least.

Moisture
    Winter is upon us, I live in a goshdarn cold climate and I notice my hair gets rougher, tanglier and splittier the colder it gets. The humidity freezes out of the air at colder temperatures so a cold climate is actually very dry, interestingly enough. I try to stay on top of moisturising treatments (humectants, protein and occlusives depending on how the hair is doing and what the weather is like), and one I like is pre-pooing the lengths with oil and leaving it in for a bit, then before lathering up with shampoo I put conditioner on top of the oil, shampoo, rinse, deep treatment or a very thick conditioner (this is where the silicones generally come in! I find it best to use them last to "lock in" more penetrative ingredients.

Actively growing vs. maintaining
    When I'm actively growing and snipping off maybe 1-2 cm every 3 months my ends are looking really rough after 1 month until the 3rd month. When I'm maintaining and snipping off the entire growth (4-5 cm) every 3 months my ends still have splits but they don't look bad. I can feel them and see them if I look up close, but in braids or loose no one else can see it from a couple of steps away.

* Edit: emollients for a protective coat around the hair that helps with detangling, but also damage from e.g. brushing against furniture repeatedly and other mechanical stress
    ᛃ 2008: 24cm/10" ᛃ 2015: 41cm/16" 2021: 110cm/43"
    instagrampre-poocwc wccpuppy

Length
    Hip/FTL/Metal
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Moisture
    Winter is upon us, I live in a goshdarn cold climate and I notice my hair gets rougher, tanglier and splittier the colder it gets. The humidity freezes out of the air at colder temperatures so a cold climate is actually very dry, interestingly enough. I try to stay on top of moisturising treatments (humectants, protein and occlusives depending on how the hair is doing and what the weather is like), and one I like is pre-pooing the lengths with oil and leaving it in for a bit, then before lathering up with shampoo I put conditioner on top of the oil, shampoo, rinse, deep treatment or a very thick conditioner (this is where the silicones generally come in! I find it best to use them last to "lock in" more penetrative ingredients.
    Even in -20 and beyond, I've actually not noticed particularly low humidities (even in continental areas as opposed to coastal). It tends to be upwards of 50%, still - at least according to the Microsoft weather app. I don't think the relative humidity is affected that much as cold air isn't able to hold as much moisture anyway? I am no expert in this area, though! This is just what I've observed, and I don't experience that my hair has any rougher time in the winter! The only time I notice issues with humidity is when the temperature suddenly rises, that time being the spring, and the relative humidity is temporarily low. That's when I get awful static - and my dogs also get all staticky.

I will certainly be paying closer attention to humidity this coming winter!
    Last edited by Ylva; November 25th, 2021 at 07:48 AM.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

I know you didn't ask for advice or suggestions, but nobody else pointed this out, so... are your scissors sharp? Trimming your hair constantly with dull scissors can make split ends worse. Just because you only ever use those scissors on your hair doesn't mean they were sharp to begin with.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Ankle/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Even in -20 and beyond, I've actually not noticed particularly low humidities (even in continental areas as opposed to coastal). It tends to be upwards of 50%, still - at least according to the Microsoft weather app. I don't think the relative humidity is affected that much as cold air isn't able to hold as much moisture anyway? I am no expert in this area, though! This is just what I've observed, and I don't experience that my hair has any rougher time in the winter! The only time I notice issues with humidity is when the temperature suddenly rises, that time being the spring, and the relative humidity is temporarily low. That's when I get awful static - and my dogs also get all staticky.

I will certainly be paying closer attention to humidity this coming winter!
    I think that's the point though, if the maximum moisture it can hold is very little, then 50% of that is not very much moisture at all.

I think this is one reason why some people use dew points instead of relative humidity, but I can't remember exactly what dew points *are*.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness