Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone else constantly have split ends?

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Does anyone else constantly have split ends?

I try to s&d as much as I can, but it's so frustrating. I sit in my chair all armed and ready to deal with them and I can see them. Then I go to work and outside and they're everywhere! Gaaaah!
    But yeah, I found them in my halo hairs, which are basically couple inches long..
    Growing virgin hip length

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Used to get them when I used heat (like a crimper) on my hair. Got a couple back in the day, for sure, but it seems to have spun a whole 180 when I started to really moisturize my hair, which means oil rinse, double the conditioner and styling products. And these days I cut my growth off yearly in order to maintain, and so there's about 0 chance for splits to occur.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Buzz/APL!/Long
    Type
    1b/F/ii

When I was having this problem it was a combination of my hair not liking proteins and needing sulphates to be extremely diluted, my hair was just too dry.
    My hair was quite short when I was having this problem, too! Ear length!! And I was being WAY more careful with my hair in terms of mechanical damage than I am now!!

Now that I've found a good moisture balance for my hair, and started using silicones again because my hair actually likes them, I don't get splits anymore even though I mostly just ignore my hair and wear it down all the time.
    It's only medium length right now at APL so I know things might change as it gets even longer, but it's still MUCH longer than it was when I was getting a bunch of splits!

I also obsessively check my ends though, and if I see a split, it gets snip-snipped immediately! I keep my hair scissors in my bedside table drawer for this very reason.
    I actually enjoy S&D so it doesn't bother me to check my ends as much as I do, I get a huge feeling of satisfaction when I catch one and get to give it a nice clean blunt end LOL!!
    I only find legitimate split ends once every few weeks. Most of what I do trim off are tapered ends, which really don't need to be trimmed but I do it anyway for the satisfaction And even then there's not a lot of those.
    Last edited by 0xalis; October 6th, 2021 at 01:23 PM.
    Hit APL way earlier than expected!
    Heading down to MBL! Goal is classic+
    Art Blog on WordPress

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I forgot to mention earlier that all my hair pre-LHC hair has been cut away. I grew out to classic length, then cut back to collarbone length and maintained that length for about 2 years since joining LHC. I'm on the grow again.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Probably about half my lengths are pre-LHC hair but I've only had a consistently moisturising routine for maybe 3 years? I do still get splits though, not loads but they're not rare either. And a couple of streaks of finer hairs (all length since LHC) especially tend to crumble or break rather than split, and I don't have the energy to be extra babying them. At the moment I don't mind them too much, but in say 7 years when it's all LHC-cared-for I might be a bit annoyed to still have a fair amount of splits!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    26 in/32 in/32 in
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I definitely have tins of split ends. I just don't have the patience for s&d. I too am hoping that as the old hair gets trimmed off it will slowly get better.

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Iím trying a mask with mayonnaise and honey. Iíve stretched my washes to about once a week. I recently started a new job and had to start covering my half to keep it clean and I think thatís really helping with environmental damage. Iím also happy to report that my hair loss has stopped since quitting my previous job! So yay to stress reduction! 😝

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Sorry! Looks like I replied to the wrong post! 😬🤦🏻*♀️

Protective styles have definitely helped as had figuring out the right way to wash and extending my wash days as long as I can.

Length
    1 in/23 in/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

I also have constant split ends... but for me I figured out that for my hair leaving it in buns is the worst. I actually have stopped putting my hair up in buns ( sometimes it's a force of habit to just shove it up in a bun) and I have less breakage. I do use more braids French or otherwise. My only problem is finding a good hairstyle for sleeping bc I tend to sleep on my scrunchie which hurts in am headaches ensues.... not fun

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Yes, my hair is quite porous naturally and I sometimes get mid shaft splits too. No matter how well I treat it I always get split ends. I have come to accept this is just the way my hair is. Taking supplements has never helped, and interestingly bleaching my hair didn't actually make them worse. Thankfully they don't look too bad. I probably notice them more than others do.

Hoping to get to bra strap length, technically it already is but only when all my hair is straightened.
    And I don't like wearing straight hair............