Thread: Greetings! Starting my long hair journey

Length
    1/1/24
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Greetings! Starting my long hair journey

Hello beautiful people!
    Here's a little background hair story: I had mid back length hair in 2014 but I cut it to shoulder length. The thought of growing my hair long had never occurred to me even though my mom and my grandma both have beautiful mid thigh length hair. I feel that that could actually be the reason why I liked short hair; I was so used to seeing long hair that I wanted something different for me. In hindsight that sounds a bit silly. Anyway, between 2014 and 2019 I had four big chops including a long pixie and a short bob. I let my hair grow during the lockdown and it grew to around 16 inches. I was absolutely fine with it and had started appreciating the length. I have never dyed my hair and do not use any heating tools so it looked healthy. For some strange reason, I felt that I won't be able to maintain the quality of my hair (although it doesn't require much because it is straight and black) and I should do something useful with it before it starts getting damaged. So in July 2021 (i.e. about 2 months ago) I donated my hair to a cancer foundation and now I have a short pixie cut with the longest strand at about 3 inches long.
    A month later I started missing my long hair and when I met my grandma it broke her heart to see me in my new look. I have decided to let my hair grow as I have realized it makes me more confident and I also want to make my grandma happy . I checked out the threads that talk about growing out a pixie cut and if I understood the discussions correctly, it would take me 3-4 years to have waist length hair. Although I would love it to be till my hips. I am 30 years so I am guessing it would take me a bit longer. The people's journeys at LHC are very inspiring and I hope I can be as patient and mindful as you all. All kinds of tips are welcome and I would really appreciate to hear from people who started from extremely short in their 30s and reached waist length.
    Thanks so much!
    <3

Default Re: Greetings! Starting my long hair journey

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I grew my hair from a pixie cut. It be faster if you don’t mind having layers, which a pixie will naturally grow out with layers from where the sides were short. (I wanted my hair to be all one length and then I have been maintaining at APL for a couple of years while I grow out henna, so I haven’t reached waist length, but maybe I will one day, unless I decide to keep it shorter!)

Don’t worry about age! Try not to worry about how long it will take either. Easier said than done sometimes, but it’s best to make the most of each stage as you pass through it, by looking for what’s great about that particular length.

Happy growing

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome! I started with less than 1 cm hair and I have had fun growing my hair all the way and I still do

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    1/1/24
    Type
    1c/M/ii

You're absolutely right about making the best of each stage! I could not stop obsessing over long hair the whole August. I am going to focus on scalp health. especially do something to treat my scalp acne and not worry about hair length. Although, sometimes daydreaming about having hair like Arwen cannot be controlled! I love one length hair so I can imagine your APL hair would be fabulous! Thanks for the wonderful advice! Happy growing to you too

Length
    1/1/24
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Welcome! I started with less than 1 cm hair and I have had fun growing my hair all the way and I still do
    That gives me hope . I want to have fun too! I saw the shorties thread and it was so encouraging to see so many people at the similar stage of hair growth. So glad I discovered this forum!

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by keshkala View Post
    That gives me hope . I want to have fun too! I saw the shorties thread and it was so encouraging to see so many people at the similar stage of hair growth. So glad I discovered this forum!
    LHC is truly the best place on the internet if you ask me!

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Welcome!

Welcome