Thread: Shampoo Cap after Surgery (no water shampooing)

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Default Shampoo Cap after Surgery (no water shampooing)

Hey all,

I'm about to have surgery in four weeks to fix my deviated septum and I'll need to stay in the hospital for three days. I learned that I shouldn't wash my hair afterwards for minimally three days but possibly up to a week, if there is bleeding.

I have seborrheic scalp eczema and the only thing that keeps it in check is daily washing. My hair is also quite greasy and looks and feels unclean when not washing for a day, plus my scalp starts itching like mad. So, three days without a wash, much less up to seven sound like a proper nightmare to me and I don't even want to imagine what state my scalp might be in.
    I've started to check out ways to clean my hair that don't involve water, as I understand that washing with water increases blood flow and might lead to bleeding.
    In the past I didn't have much luck with dry shampoo, my scalp just got very irritated from it, however I've found shampooing caps that work without water. They're typically for people needing care and look like a shower caps and are coated with cleansers inside.
    Has anybody experience with such shampooing caps? I'm not too concerned for my hair, it's pretty robust and generally not bothered by much, but my scalp is a cranky diva

Thanks!
    At true tailbone!

Default Re: Shampoo Cap after Surgery (no water shampooing)

Hm. I'm not sure. It seems I used one of those on my mom when in the hospital; I don't know that it will get your hair *completely* clean (but if you're using it daily, then maybe; I only used it on her once or twice and by then her hair really needed it). I also remember another thing she had; it was a foaming cleanser and allegedly it could be used without water-- just rub it in and then wipe off well with a towel. I can't remember what it was called, but a medical supply store might have it? It was probably something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Rinse-Shampoo.../dp/B07BD319SY

I don't recall that we ever tried it on her hair, though, so I couldn't tell you how well that one worked,

Is it the water they say will increase blood flow (I'd be interested to know why), or the scalp stimulation from washing?

(Also, did the doctors recommend anything? Or are you seeing a dermatologist, and could ask them?)
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Thank you so much for your reply, Kat! The foam you linked actually seems better to me than the caps I found, seems easier to apply and less waste as well. Plus, likely more manageable with long thick hair!
    The doctors said it's mostly the warm water that increases the blood flow, not the actual motion from washing (if you wash gently), so it that sense it should be alright. I probably also wouldn't need to use these things very often, so I'd be alright if my hair doesn't get as clean as with my regular shampoo if I can wash it again after maybe three or four days. I'm just really against not cleaning it at all. I tried multiple times over the years to wash less and each time the eczema flared up nastily and it took weeks to calm it down again. I friend told me after they had the same procedure done that they felt quite as if put through the wringer for some days afterwards due to the swelling, so I don't want to add to not feeling great just because of my cranky scalp.
    At true tailbone!

Length
    15/24/36
    Type
    2a/2b/C/i

Talking Re: Shampoo Cap after Surgery (no water shampooing)

I was recently in the hospital for surgery and used shower caps, they are easy to use, and cleaned my long hair, (not as long as yours though) it's to the middle of my back. It cleaned my hair really well, my hair is pretty dry and I used it every other day.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic Lolita View Post
    Hey all,

I'm about to have surgery in four weeks to fix my deviated septum and I'll need to stay in the hospital for three days. I learned that I shouldn't wash my hair afterwards for minimally three days but possibly up to a week, if there is bleeding.

I have seborrheic scalp eczema and the only thing that keeps it in check is daily washing. My hair is also quite greasy and looks and feels unclean when not washing for a day, plus my scalp starts itching like mad. So, three days without a wash, much less up to seven sound like a proper nightmare to me and I don't even want to imagine what state my scalp might be in.
    I've started to check out ways to clean my hair that don't involve water, as I understand that washing with water increases blood flow and might lead to bleeding.
    In the past I didn't have much luck with dry shampoo, my scalp just got very irritated from it, however I've found shampooing caps that work without water. They're typically for people needing care and look like a shower caps and are coated with cleansers inside.
    Has anybody experience with such shampooing caps? I'm not too concerned for my hair, it's pretty robust and generally not bothered by much, but my scalp is a cranky diva

Thanks!
    Double, triple and quadruple check with your doctor. Check with your derm as well. I had the same surgery and did not have the same instructions. It's possible your case is more severe than mine.

Ask if cold water washing is an acceptable alternative, or at least less risky. Steam will loosen and soften things, which I am under the impression is less of a risk with cold water. Especially if you can be really quick about the wash.

Unless you are at risk of hemorrhaging, or it's going to cause severe complications or danger (be sure to ask this), I think you should try to find an arrangement to allow you to wash your hair as frequently as needed, because not doing this will aggravate a different medical condition.

Maybe sink washing could work.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Hey all,

Thanks!
    You're in for three days? that surprises me. I had sinus surgery for a deviated septum last January and it was day surgery.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Thank you, all, for your replies!
    Yes, here in Germany they do this type of surgery as in-patient procedures - surprised me as well as I heard it was a 15 min thing in other places and then you can go home.
    Unfortunately this came up rather quickly and my derm has the next appointment available in December , so I was hoping that resorting to a shampoo cap would solve my problem are and still keep the instructions. Though they seem to differ with hospital to hospital with regards to the showering, even here in Germany.
    I think I might still purchase one or two to have an option on hand, but still ask whether a careful wash with lukewarm water would be possible. I never had surgery before so risk of hemorrhaging is a bit of an unknown (and I haven't seen the blood results yet).
    At true tailbone!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thank you, all, for your replies!
    Yes, here in Germany they do this type of surgery as in-patient procedures - surprised me as well as I heard it was a 15 min thing in other places and then you can go home.
    Unfortunately this came up rather quickly and my derm has the next appointment available in December , so I was hoping that resorting to a shampoo cap would solve my problem are and still keep the instructions. Though they seem to differ with hospital to hospital with regards to the showering, even here in Germany.
    I think I might still purchase one or two to have an option on hand, but still ask whether a careful wash with lukewarm water would be possible. I never had surgery before so risk of hemorrhaging is a bit of an unknown (and I haven't seen the blood results yet).
    Definitely wash your hair very last minute before going in for surgery, but that's a given, right?

Then I would stretch to where you can hold out and use the no water option. Definitely don't wash your hair. My aunt had sinus surgery a couple years ago and she just did not wash until her doctor said it was OK to do so. I can't recall how long that was, but at least a week!!!

FWIW, my mom had eye shingles (her eye is still very painful) and since April, still hasn't washed her hair (but she has dry scalp and can go 2 months normally). She just won't risk her eye (what if she is so clumsy now shampoo gets in). And then it's all to hell.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Good luck!
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Definitely wash your hair very last minute before going in for surgery, but that's a given, right?

Then I would stretch to where you can hold out and use the no water option. Definitely don't wash your hair. My aunt had sinus surgery a couple years ago and she just did not wash until her doctor said it was OK to do so. I can't recall how long that was, but at least a week!!!

FWIW, my mom had eye shingles (her eye is still very painful) and since April, still hasn't washed her hair (but she has dry scalp and can go 2 months normally). She just won't risk her eye (what if she is so clumsy now shampoo gets in). And then it's all to hell.
    From what I recall, the main problem with showering is being lightheaded. If you really needed to, you could probably wash your hair after a week or so if you say down in the shower. After surgery, I was mostly just exhausted and couldn't breathe through my nose (I had nose splints in). Otherwise, I had no problems bathing or showering. But use caution and follow your doctor's advice, of course.