Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Can you use henna-indigo over hennaed hair - would it cover up the red?

  1. #1
    ❤️Heatless hair —see blog Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,488
    Length
    CBL/WL+/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

    Default Can you use henna-indigo over hennaed hair - would it cover up the red?

    I miss being a redhead so much sometimes! So I am considering some possible options for the future.

    Henna is huge in my culture, so I'm no stranger to it. However, "henndigo" is foreign to me. If I henna my hair, but then don't want that color anymore some day, would I be able to cover it up with henna-indigo so it could all be black again?

    And if not, is regular black hair dye just as drying/damaging as dyes with bleach in it?

    I haven't dyed my hair in forever and feel brand new to this stuff all over again sjhfkr5jsgs.
    Last edited by Glitch; September 5th, 2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: adding more
    No trims since July 10th - just a motivational siggy since I have a hard time keeping my hands from snipping away!

  2. #2
    Member Obsidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Idaho USA
    Posts
    2,786
    Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Can you use henna-indigo over hennaed hair - would it cover up the red?

    Hennidigo is used to achieve brown tones. Pure indigo over already henna hair in what is used to get black.

    Black hair dye does actually have bleach in it, all traditional dyes lift your natural color then deposit the chemical color.

    Have you used henna before? I can't imagine it would add much color to your black hair, definitely not a traditional henna copper

  3. #3
    LHC FairyGodMum lapushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    61,583
    Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: Can you use henna-indigo over hennaed hair - would it cover up the red?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    I miss being a redhead so much sometimes! So I am considering some possible options for the future.

    Henna is huge in my culture, so I'm no stranger to it. However, "henndigo" is foreign to me. If I henna my hair, but then don't want that color anymore some day, would I be able to cover it up with henna-indigo so it could all be black again?

    And if not, is regular black hair dye just as drying/damaging as dyes with bleach in it?

    I haven't dyed my hair in forever and feel brand new to this stuff all over again sjhfkr5jsgs.
    If you want to do the natural dyes, by all means, henndigo can go over henna any time! No problem. If you do want to do mostly indigo to make it all black, put at least 10% henna in there, to make it 1/ a smooth consistency 2/ easier to spread.

    There is nothing wrong with regular black dye, but I would make a choice, to either go chemical or natural, and not mix the two, (that's how I lost a lot of my hair aka it melted off).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

  4. #4
    ❤️Heatless hair —see blog Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,488
    Length
    CBL/WL+/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Can you use henna-indigo over hennaed hair - would it cover up the red?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Pure indigo over already henna hair in what is used to get black.
    What, really! I had no idea (well, not that I know much of anything about indigo yet). This would sure make my life easier

    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Black hair dye does actually have bleach in it, all traditional dyes lift your natural color then deposit the chemical color.

    Have you used henna before? I can't imagine it would add much color to your black hair, definitely not a traditional henna copper
    Nah, there are definitely plenty of dyes that do not contain bleach. There are many peroxide/ammonia-free options available! I’m highly experienced with both henna and regular dyes - it’s just that I’ve been natural for so long now that I’ve forgotten if the black dye was just as drying as the bleaches.

    And yep! Because my hair is quite porous, it does indeed change colors rather easily even without bleaching properties. My mom and grandma's hair has always been the same way too! Of course, if I wanted a bright red or anything drastically light, I'd have to turn to bleach.
    But yeah, it's so porous and easy to manipulate that even back when I used to use a hair straightener, I'd have to turn it off and let it cool off a lot before I could use it at a safe temperature on my hair, since it reacts super easily to most things and would get instantly fried if I used those "regular" temperatures (which happened several times, ugh)!

    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    If you want to do the natural dyes, by all means, henndigo can go over henna any time! No problem. If you do want to do mostly indigo to make it all black, put at least 10% henna in there, to make it 1/ a smooth consistency 2/ easier to spread.

    There is nothing wrong with regular black dye, but I would make a choice, to either go chemical or natural, and not mix the two, (that's how I lost a lot of my hair aka it melted off).
    Oh wow! That's so good to know, thank you! That's actually something I was worried about but forgot to ask - mixing the two together like that (chemical vs. natural). Since I'm totally new to learning about indigo, I think I'll experiment on my brothers' hair first! And luckily I have a few brothers, and none are into long hair (or hair at all) and go buzzed once in a while, so it'll be a good time for me! A different experiment per brother.
    No trims since July 10th - just a motivational siggy since I have a hard time keeping my hands from snipping away!

  5. #5
    ❤️Heatless hair —see blog Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,488
    Length
    CBL/WL+/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Can you use henna-indigo over hennaed hair - would it cover up the red?

    Also!! I had a random thought, in case anyone from the future sees this thread. As hennaeing is extremely popular in my culture (hands, hair, herbal remedies and so on and I mean, I grew up as a kid watching my mom and her friends henna their hair ) - I've seen enough and would like to mention that it's not just meant for porous hair if your hair's dark! Sometimes it may take several applications to see any color show. Others might get a hue of orange quickly. I've also seen people whose hair only glows red in the sun (with their hair looking like their natural color in every other lighting) and they're happy with that. This is a very "your mileage may vary" type of playground. But I always recommend it if anyone is going to take the plunge anyway for the redhead world. Plus, if you happen to have siblings who could care less about their hair, there is always that experimental learning route too! Hahah.
    No trims since July 10th - just a motivational siggy since I have a hard time keeping my hands from snipping away!

  6. #6
    Member Obsidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Idaho USA
    Posts
    2,786
    Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Can you use henna-indigo over hennaed hair - would it cover up the red?

    This is a really good video that shows the two step process to get black.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o_IUWlFbxNs

    I've used henna over bleached/dyed hair and bleach/dye over henna. As long as its 100% henna, chemical dyes shouldn't cause any more damage then they normally do. If you don't know the purity of your henna, don't risk it.

    Indigo is different though, box dyes and bleach can react badly, often turning a muddy greeny blue

  7. #7
    Eternally Windblown C_Bookworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,905
    Length
    Chin/Class/FTL?
    Type
    2b/F/iii

    Default Re: Can you use henna-indigo over hennaed hair - would it cover up the red?

    Yep, you can definitely go from henna to henndigo (it’s what I did). 1 step henndigo to get shades in the brown/red family, 2 step to go black. As far as whether henndigo would cover henna red, my experience is that henna is permanent right from the get-go, but indigo fades out more. After a few layers of henndigo, the indigo sticks better. You can play with certain factors to help with indigo’s stickiness (salt, timing, pH of the mixture, etc).
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights



  8. #8
    ❤️Heatless hair —see blog Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,488
    Length
    CBL/WL+/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Can you use henna-indigo over hennaed hair - would it cover up the red?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    This is a really good video that shows the two step process to get black.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o_IUWlFbxNs

    I've used henna over bleached/dyed hair and bleach/dye over henna. As long as its 100% henna, chemical dyes shouldn't cause any more damage then they normally do. If you don't know the purity of your henna, don't risk it.

    Indigo is different though, box dyes and bleach can react badly, often turning a muddy greeny blue
    Oh thank you so much!! This is super helpful! I've accidentally had blue-green hair before when I didn't intend for that, so I really appreciate knowing that so I can keep it in mind. I guess if I try out indigo but don't like it for whatever reason, then I'll be a bit screwed if I then consider doing a box dye over that, so it seems best to stick to one or the other huh?

    Also, I'm a very visual person so the video is perfect!

    Quote Originally Posted by C_Bookworm View Post
    Yep, you can definitely go from henna to henndigo (it’s what I did). 1 step henndigo to get shades in the brown/red family, 2 step to go black. As far as whether henndigo would cover henna red, my experience is that henna is permanent right from the get-go, but indigo fades out more. After a few layers of henndigo, the indigo sticks better. You can play with certain factors to help with indigo’s stickiness (salt, timing, pH of the mixture, etc).
    Thanks! So then I suppose it's possible to have the henna peek through even after henndigo, so multiple indigo sessions should do the trick eventually if that happens. I assume that like henna, it's fine to layer on indigo and it won't ruin the hair? I appreciate these tips
    No trims since July 10th - just a motivational siggy since I have a hard time keeping my hands from snipping away!

  9. #9
    Eternally Windblown C_Bookworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,905
    Length
    Chin/Class/FTL?
    Type
    2b/F/iii

    Default Re: Can you use henna-indigo over hennaed hair - would it cover up the red?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    Thanks! So then I suppose it's possible to have the henna peek through even after henndigo, so multiple indigo sessions should do the trick eventually if that happens. I assume that like henna, it's fine to layer on indigo and it won't ruin the hair? I appreciate these tips
    Yes! You can apply indigo as you like, no problems layering it. Currently, I primarily do 2-step henndigo on my roots only, but every once and awhile when I want the black to pop, I’ll do a whole head application. Aside from the fact that it gets heavy to apply to the lengths, there’s no problem.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights



  10. #10
    LHC FairyGodMum lapushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    61,583
    Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: Can you use henna-indigo over hennaed hair - would it cover up the red?

    Yeah, the chances of using chemical over the indigo in future... should that ever be a thought... I would think twice about indigo.

    Indigo + bleach (peroxide / powder) do not mix, but peroxide/developer is in the dye kits unless it's deposit only, and I would dare question that being OK with indigo. I'd be careful, because I threw (this is just my experience) a black dye, chemical, over my green mess of a henndigo and it turned it even more green (matte black/greenish patches in my hair). I had to grow that mess out and had it dyed red again to counteract some of the green. Man, the messes I got myself in.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •