Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Post Haircut Thread

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default The Post Haircut Thread

I looked and I don't see anything like this on the forum!

I wanted a place for people to talk after a haircut. Drop before and afters, talk about the good, the bad, all of your feelings. Duscuss why you cut and if it were impulsive, well needed, regretted. Whatever you feel a haircut to be is just fine to talk about here <3

I'll go first,
    I cut off about 2.5 or 3 inches, setting me back to 22 inches. I grew my hair a lot over the past year, but with 7 rounds of bleach under my belt, I suddenly noticed the real damage on my ends. White dots going a couple inches up the hair shaft. Pull on it gently and a inch long piece breaks right off. No reason keeping hair that looks that bad.

Mixed bag of emotions: logically I know there is only harm in waiting to cut it, but I was really close to MBL and genuinely hadn't realized how tortured the ends were

Oh well, who else?
    P̶i̶x̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶L̶,̶ ̶A̶P̶L̶,̶ ̶B̶S̶L̶, WL

Length
    Hip/Hip/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: The Post Haircut Thread

Oh, I really like this idea for a thread!

My last cut was in June already, but it was a big chop of around 40 cm (~16 in). I did it primarily because I was sick of my bleached ends; they were causing me way more stress and frustration than joy. But I did it (and feel like maintaining my length rather than letting it grow) for a "worse" reason as well: I wanted to create contrast between myself and another person. She was the only other person I knew in real life who also had really long hair (knee-ish or so). I don't want to get deeper into why I want to create a distinction between myself and her, but to me, that is a very real, very current reason. But this has also been a very important step for me as a person altogether. The fact that I "polished" my metal identity (which has always been the truest me) has lead to many excellent changes.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

I like this idea for a thread too! The reason I joined here was to get myself to put the scissors down because I'd probably be at WL by now if I hadn't kept cutting. I did about 3 trims this year between March and July. And since I don't straighten my hair very often I was cutting curly, meaning I was taking off a lot more.

But at the same time, while I was unhappy with stalling my length retention, the ends needed to go. I had a terrible amount of single strand knots that made running my fingers or a comb through the ends rather unpleasant. If I just let them be, the hair just catches on itself and creates more knots. It was something that could not be cured with S&D since some knots were a 1/4 inch up, and some 2-3 unfortunately. Better to just cut evenly and give the fresh ends a nice hemline for support.

It was frustrating looking at pics from a year ago and seeing the EXACT same length, but it also feels much better to run my hands through the ends (especially when braiding or unbraiding) and feel healthy smooth ends.
    Last edited by ETJ CURLS; November 7th, 2023 at 10:26 AM. Reason: grammar
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Joining the discussion
    I'm generally very scissor-happy and I would be probably at tailbone right now if I weren't trimming this often. I had a many unnecessary trims in the past 2 years.
    It's not the matter of damage - my hair is very healthy and I don't get split ends. It was rather a matter of yo-yo between layered and blunt cuts that was the issue and I was really unhappy with how my hair looked like.
    Now I'm set on getting rid of layers and I mentioned already- I gave my scissors to my boyfriend and asked him to hide them from me in his apartment. He will give them back in the end of December
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights

I'm not cutting my hair, I'll hate it (which is usually what happens, so I'm not going through that again)! The last trim (which was about three inches, so still considered a trim. I view a major chop as anything between 4-6 inches, anything under that is just a trim) was about four to six months ago after growing it back from losing it to chemo (that took about three years, so hopefully I'll never have to go through that again, since it was the only part of the treatment that I didn't like). I grew it to the same length it is now (BSL/MBL) and had it trimmed to APL and now it's back to MBL again. I won't go any longer than WL, since if I'm sitting on it, it's too long (at least for me). I usually get a trim in between six months and a year and a half, but not to thicken my hemline (since I don't care how thick or thin it is) but to get rid of any split ends. When my grandmother died last October, I did not take it out on my hair and went on Etsy to find a memorial to buy for all of the grandkids (I'm the oldest) instead. I don't take out my stresses on my hair, I just cry it out for about a day (or watch kitty videos on Facebook, since that always cheers me up).
    No friend requests, please. I won't accept them
    No trimming 2024: 11 January - 30 June
    APL - ​MBL - WL

Length
    Pixie/Hip+/Class
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Oh my gosh, I want to take this opportunity to share the story of chopping my hair off into a pixie because it all just came back to me!

My hair was BSL and dyed pink in high school. I was exploring my identity, was convinced my hair would never grow any longer (surprise, I was just not taking good care of it), and decided I wanted to go for the big, big chop.

My mother, who was a hairdresser and the only person to ever come near my hair with scissors was totally on board, and after a few days of planning, we sat me down into a chair and went for it. Well, she cut it to my ears and then started crying. I begged her to keep trying to finish it because I looked like I had a bowl cut, and she sure tried through her tears, but I was mortified. In the end, I looked like Justin Bieber in 2008.

I went to a salon for the first time in my life the next day, and while the stylist cleaned it up, it was not at all the look I was going for. I got a very soft, cutesy moviestar-esque result, when what I really wanted was something a bit edgier and punk. Regret. Regret regret regret. Oh, my mother was still in tears. I guess seeing all of my hair that she spent my whole life styling get cut off really took a toll on her

I grew out that bad pixie for a year, cursing myself for cutting my hair, but I came to realize that it wasn't the short hair that made me upset, it was the cut that I got and the emotions that came after it.

I got booked with a stylist that my mom knew and trusted very well, told her exactly what I wanted, and oh my gosh. It was amazing. My hair looked so good and it was exactly what I wanted (at the time!). I still have this great picture of me in the chair absolutely glowing.

I wore that cut for two years before deciding to grow it, and my mom even felt comfortable trimming it for me again! It was a wild ride, but it taught me a lot about my hair and my relationship with it, and I'm just glad I got that all over with during my high school years when everyone else was making wacky changes to their appearance as well
    Oh sing me a song of the sea,
    Selkie, siren, sisters thee.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Oh, I really like this idea for a thread!

My last cut was in June already, but it was a big chop of around 40 cm (~16 in). I did it primarily because I was sick of my bleached ends; they were causing me way more stress and frustration than joy. But I did it (and feel like maintaining my length rather than letting it grow) for a "worse" reason as well: I wanted to create contrast between myself and another person. She was the only other person I knew in real life who also had really long hair (knee-ish or so). I don't want to get deeper into why I want to create a distinction between myself and her, but to me, that is a very real, very current reason. But this has also been a very important step for me as a person altogether. The fact that I "polished" my metal identity (which has always been the truest me) has lead to many excellent changes.
    16 inches sure is a big cut! I can't say I know exactly what you're going through, but I understand using your hair as a way to control your looks and the people you look like. I once cut off all my hair and dyed it after I was cheated on, the girl had hair just like me. Anyways, all in the past now but I understand how that connection happens. I hope the cut brought you what you needed, at least somewhat

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

ETJ - I can imagine that makes a really big difference! Curly hair gets tangles that I swear feel impossible to undo sometimes.

Paulownia - gosh I hate imagining how long my hair would be if I would just let it grow! I'm jealous that you don't get any splits though

Lady Winchester- wow what a crazy journey. Congratulations on being done with treatment! I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's hard to not take out stress on your hair, I get it. It's easy to reach for the things we can control when it's tough

Kelp - I am astonished at how similar our stories are! I too had BSL(ish, mine was maybe a big shorter at the time) hair that was dyed bright pink, AND my mom is the only one who ever cut it, she went to school for cosmetology but untilimately became a therapist. Anyways, in 9th grade I cut all my hair off into a pixie too! I completely agree that it was the perfect time to mess with my appearance and identity. The growing out process was fun and while I wouldn't do it again, I'm glad I did it when I did!

Type
    3a/M/i/ii

I have to share this because it was so traumatic that Ive never forgotten.

It was in the early 80s and it was the first time I was going to go pretty short. I wanted something similar to this cut in the top photo but it was longer in back… it kinda brushed the neck and was definitely longer and flipped outward. Over the ears was just a teensy bit shorter and shaped. The stylist said I would probably need a perm just to get the volume and curviness to it. I had walked in with BSL hair.

This photo… this photo right here is what I walked out with. I still remember when I sat down after she took the perm rods out. She was fluffing it wet and goes “You can wear it like this if you dont want to dry it.”

I was all ON WHAT PLANET did the photo that I brought in resemble this poodle head?? I didn’t say that, but I think she could see the trauma on my face. I was trying SO HARD not to cry. I went home and washed my hair multiple times with Prell and tried to dry it as straight as I could. Looked nothing like what I asked for. I kept it short after that I have no idea why. It was so ugly on me. I have a photo of my hacked at by me pixie that looks so much better than what I walked out with.

When I went back to (a different stylist) to get a trim she was all “why aren’t you coming to meee?” I told her I didnt like it and she goes “I could have fixed it”. How? lol

Anyway that was the only cut in my life that I truly loathed. I think after that I just didnt care if I looked in the mirror and disliked what I saw. So sad. I finally grew my hair out in the late 80s.

3/9/2015 decided to grow out gray Cut to pixie: 3/9/2015 BSL 4/2018, Cut to shoulder 6/2021. Started coloring again 2018. Currently growing out & going back to gray Goal length: waist+

Length
    Pixie/Hip+/Class
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemi View Post
    Kelp - I am astonished at how similar our stories are! I too had BSL(ish, mine was maybe a big shorter at the time) hair that was dyed bright pink, AND my mom is the only one who ever cut it, she went to school for cosmetology but untilimately became a therapist. Anyways, in 9th grade I cut all my hair off into a pixie too! I completely agree that it was the perfect time to mess with my appearance and identity. The growing out process was fun and while I wouldn't do it again, I'm glad I did it when I did!
    We're hair journey twins! That's so funny, did you keep the short hair for a while or did you go straight to growing it out?
    Oh sing me a song of the sea,
    Selkie, siren, sisters thee.