Thread: Newbie hair routine

Length
    12/15/26
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Default Newbie hair routine

Hello everyone!

This i my first post here and as expected I have questions.. haha

Last tear I had BSL length, however had to cut it off, as due to hormones it started falling and it was extremely thin, especially at the front. I cut it CBL and started growing from there. This was in March. Currently it is 3-4 cm above APL. My hair is very fine, however used to be thicker (hormones again and thyroid meds). I am currently having the following routine:

1 Wash every morning with sulphate shampoo (covering the lengths with a Conditioner before that) I have extremely oily scalp and nothing on this earth helped me fix this - hormones againÖ I did stretched washings, tried different shampoos, dry shampoo, but the only thing that helps me and calms my SD is Head and Shoulders menthol..
    2. Once a week I put some burdock root on my scalp for hair growth and thickness
    3. One a week I put some coconut oil on my hair and use my infrared ultrasound treatment tool to seal it on my hair.
    4. One a week I use densifying mask - Kerastase for extra hydration
    5 I sleep with my hair up on a loose bun
    6. Unfortunately I have no option and use fan and flat iron on my baby hairs, however use heat protection + argan oil treatment

Pretty much thatís it.

I would like to receive some recommendations on my hair growth and thickness if there is anything I can do.

Length
    17/32/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Newbie hair routine

Even though you have a lot of great habits the best thing you could do for your hair would be to give up the flat iron unfortunately. Once I gave mine up along with regular highlighting, my hair stopped breaking and actually grew to my first milestone and has thickened up considerably. Another thing you may want to look into (if you haven’t already) is getting a silk or satin pillowcase. Welcome to the LHC, there is such a wealth of knowledge here!
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL
    No trim challenge second half of 2021

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Seconding the "ditch the flat iron". We all have wispy hairs around the hairline (all over, nape to front) and the best thing is to just leave them be, they are frailer than the rest of the hair and putting heat there... just not a good idea.

Other than that, getting your thyroid "set" and keeping it under control = the best thing you can do.

Welcome!

ETA/ If you haven't seen the wispy hair club, take a look:
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=131555
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/SL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Welcome!

I am also a Head & Shoulders devotee due to health issues! If it works--it works! Lots of people can stretch washes and not use sulfates, but that's absolutely not me.

I also share your hormonal hair loss woes. I don't want to try Rogaine or anything like that, so I've just accepted that this is my "new" hair now. I just am trying to make what I have left as healthy and long as possible!

That's interesting about the burdock--I also have tried it. I made a (cold) infusion of burdock root (steeped for 4 weeks) and applied it to my scalp a few times, but I didn't notice any difference! Maybe I was doing it wrong or didn't give it long enough? I only tried it for like, 2 weeks, before giving up!
    Pixie (2020) --> SL --> APL --> BSL --> Waist --> Hip --> TBL
    No trims since 4/2021

Length
    12/15/26
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Hey, thank you for your reply! I will leave the flat iron, however I need to get some more length, as now it does not look good. Regarding the silk pillow cases, Iíve always slept on such, well at least for the past couple of years. I donít think I have issues with the breakage, at least at this length and for now. Hopefully it will grow faster, as I canít stand my hair right now. You are a great support here in the forum! Thanks a lot!

Length
    12/15/26
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

I strongly recommend the burdock root. I donít know if it helped me with the hair growth, but I use it for 3-4 months and my hair is thick like never before!

I boil 300-400 ml of water and put the burdock root for 10 minutes, then leave it overnight and the next evening I apply it on my scalp with a make up tampon. I do it in the evening, as my hair is very oily and I cannot put anything on my roots, as they will become greasy immediately, so I sleep this way and wash my hair in the morning.

I wonít use Rogaine or Minoxidil, as I hear that when you start once, you should use it permanently or it will get worse, so I am scared trying

Length
    Pixie/SL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica7779 View Post
    I strongly recommend the burdock root. I don’t know if it helped me with the hair growth, but I use it for 3-4 months and my hair is thick like never before!

I boil 300-400 ml of water and put the burdock root for 10 minutes, then leave it overnight and the next evening I apply it on my scalp with a make up tampon. I do it in the evening, as my hair is very oily and I cannot put anything on my roots, as they will become greasy immediately, so I sleep this way and wash my hair in the morning.

I won’t use Rogaine or Minoxidil, as I hear that when you start once, you should use it permanently or it will get worse, so I am scared trying
    Wow that's great! I do wish I had thicker hair! I might give it another try...
    Pixie (2020) --> SL --> APL --> BSL --> Waist --> Hip --> TBL
    No trims since 4/2021