Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine hair and preventing breakage

Default Fine hair and preventing breakage

A the title said I have a breakage problem. Even when being more gentle ony hair than on a day old child it tends to break when detangling, combing, putting it up, etc. It tangling when you look at it funny of course doesn't help. Now from my time on the forum I can compile a list of things that could help. Those things being:

- Using a satin pillowcase/sleep cap
    - Putting my hair in a braid/bun at all times but especially at night
    - Keeping it in good shape
    - Staying the *nope* out of your hair

The satin pillowcase is something I don't have yet so obviously that's something I need to tackle asap. The braiding... yeah, I only have those phone chord ties for braiding and am not really good at it; not to mention my hair is still too short to put in a pineapple bun and escapes every bun I put it in anyway. So of course this is not what I'm asking about.

Whenever I put my hair in a ponytail, bun or braid it always tangles. I let it loose only to find it impossible to run my hand through it and I typically need to detangle fifteen minutes before the majority of those tangles gone. I do find that when I use a conditioner for dry hair my hair tangles significantly less however. I only need five minutes instead of the aforementioned fifteen. This has lead me to believe my hair is naturally dry, however it does get greasy very easily too.

I really need your help because it's so bad my parents are complaining about it. They just mentioned I should go for a shorter length for the umpteenth time. Thanks in advance.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Fine hair and preventing breakage

Have you tried deep treatments to add moisture? Even applying your current conditioner 20 minutes before washing your hair could make a difference, adding aloe and honey to make that a SMT could have even better results.

Also, does your conditioner contain proteins? Hair is quite different in how it reacts to protein, some need more, others find it damaging and have to avoid it. I don’t remember off the top of my head how to determine wether you need more or less protein, hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

Sometimes buildup is an issue, and clarifying and chelating solves that problem.

My hair tangles when loose if I so much as look at it too, but it detangles very quickly.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

❤️Heatless hair ósee blog Glitch's Avatar
    Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I thought of some things you could try out or consider!

Do you do deep conditioning treatments? They've been quite helpful to me when my hair was in pretty rough shape back in the day. If you haven't tried them, I suggest to buy any deep conditioning treatment (they come in small packages) at the drugstore. Massage it in all over and let it soak in for a good while before washing

Next suggestion is hair oiling. Same concept of massaging it in (I've found any oil is decent for me but you can look into all the different ones, such as coconut, sweet almond, sunflower oil etc.). Personally, what helps me even more though, is lightly oiling my scalp and length before I wash my hair, so that the shampoo won't be so harsh. I actually don't even shampoo my length - the shampoo running down it from the scalp is enough. I then douse my length in conditioner for a few minutes before rinsing it out (watch out for protein build up though - clarify your hair using clarifying shampoo once in a while/as needed). I also very lightly oil the length of my hair after the shower while it's still mostly damp.

Lastly, in my experience, my hair is too fine to handle braids at night. It causes too much tangling and friction for me, especially as I toss and turn a lot at night. You can google more info about braids at night (here is an example thread on the topic). It seems to be great for some, and not so great for others. And speaking of friction, I can only imagine the potential chafing of your hair on cotton. But, I know you said you'll try out a satin pillowcase, so that's good!
    No trims since July 10th - just a motivational siggy since I have a hard time keeping my hands from snipping away!

Iím probably going to repeat things you have already mentioned yourself or that has been mentioned above, but my daughterís hair tangles if you just look at it and these are the steps that have made a huge difference:

- a satin pillowcase (ours are from Amazon, I think the company is called Bedsure).
    - twin plaits help to stop tangling at the nape, the satin pillowcase and lined hats helped to stop tangling on top. Thatís where most of the issues were arising, the hair brushing against clothes even if itís just on the shoulders. Even a ponytail when another ponytail holder (or more) further down the length to contain the hair helps a lot.
    - this is what we use for washing, and I donít dare change anything because itís working so well - babassu oil before washing, gentle moisturising shampoo and conditioner, detangle while the conditioner is in, rinse out and then add Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner.

Hard water makes a huge difference, it was noticeable when our water softener ran out.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Can I ask how long your hair is?

Because if it isn't yet APL, all this putting it up might be a case of pulling it too tightly to get it up and is actually causing the breakage. Try letting it down with a loose pony at the nape (and I do mean loose), and then see what that does.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/BCL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I have very fine, very tangly hair. Some things that have helped me are:

-deep conditioning once a week
    -pre-wash oils
    -using silicones to make hair slippery and more manageable (others like leave ins, I prefer rinse out conditioner)
    -vinegar/acid rinses
    -hair up or braided (pigtails can work better than a single braid, less tangles than ponytails)
    -gentle detangling starting with my fingers at the bottom
    -beware of hair accessories that may further tangle your hair (watch for metal bars on elastics, rough edges, and cheap parts)
    -remove hair accessories gently
    -clarifying regularly (down the length as well) to prevent buildup

Other than the common sense rules (gentle detangling and hair contained), I would recommend testing out one product or idea at a time for at least a week to see what is actually helping. The most obvious starting place to me would be to try and secure your hair in a protective style day and night, while you wait for your pillowcase. If regular hair ties don't work, try braiding a cord into the last few bumps and tying it off. This is supposed to be gentler on the hair, but mostly I notice it is more secure and less painful to roll over while sleeping. I might also try clarifying on your next wash if your hair feels unmanageable or if you haven't done it in a long time.

SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ WL ~ HL~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ FTL

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Have you tried deep treatments to add moisture? Even applying your current conditioner 20 minutes before washing your hair could make a difference, adding aloe and honey to make that a SMT could have even better results.

Also, does your conditioner contain proteins? Hair is quite different in how it reacts to protein, some need more, others find it damaging and have to avoid it. I don’t remember off the top of my head how to determine wether you need more or less protein, hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

Sometimes buildup is an issue, and clarifying and chelating solves that problem.

My hair tangles when loose if I so much as look at it too, but it detangles very quickly.
    It does, although I don't know whether the proteins are the problem. It's the Lee Stafford Coco Loco with agave Shine. The ingredients are:

Aqua (Water/Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Parfum (Fragrance), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Panthenol, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Hybrid Oil, Hydrolyzed Silk, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Agave Tequilana Leaf Extract, Cetrimonium Chloride, Dipropylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Phytantriol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Coumarin, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    I thought of some things you could try out or consider!

Do you do deep conditioning treatments? They've been quite helpful to me when my hair was in pretty rough shape back in the day. If you haven't tried them, I suggest to buy any deep conditioning treatment (they come in small packages) at the drugstore. Massage it in all over and let it soak in for a good while before washing

Next suggestion is hair oiling. Same concept of massaging it in (I've found any oil is decent for me but you can look into all the different ones, such as coconut, sweet almond, sunflower oil etc.). Personally, what helps me even more though, is lightly oiling my scalp and length before I wash my hair, so that the shampoo won't be so harsh. I actually don't even shampoo my length - the shampoo running down it from the scalp is enough. I then douse my length in conditioner for a few minutes before rinsing it out (watch out for protein build up though - clarify your hair using clarifying shampoo once in a while/as needed). I also very lightly oil the length of my hair after the shower while it's still mostly damp.

Lastly, in my experience, my hair is too fine to handle braids at night. It causes too much tangling and friction for me, especially as I toss and turn a lot at night. You can google more info about braids at night (here is an example thread on the topic). It seems to be great for some, and not so great for others. And speaking of friction, I can only imagine the potential chafing of your hair on cotton. But, I know you said you'll try out a satin pillowcase, so that's good!
    I haven't. Will try out the oiling before shower. Do you keep it in your hair for a long time or do you rinse it out immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    Iím probably going to repeat things you have already mentioned yourself or that has been mentioned above, but my daughterís hair tangles if you just look at it and these are the steps that have made a huge difference:

- a satin pillowcase (ours are from Amazon, I think the company is called Bedsure).
    - twin plaits help to stop tangling at the nape, the satin pillowcase and lined hats helped to stop tangling on top. Thatís where most of the issues were arising, the hair brushing against clothes even if itís just on the shoulders. Even a ponytail when another ponytail holder (or more) further down the length to contain the hair helps a lot.
    - this is what we use for washing, and I donít dare change anything because itís working so well - babassu oil before washing, gentle moisturising shampoo and conditioner, detangle while the conditioner is in, rinse out and then add Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner.

Hard water makes a huge difference, it was noticeable when our water softener ran out.
    Sadly I don't have a satin pillowcase and only those phone chord hair ties which are very uncomfortable to sleep on. I will be looking into a nice scrunchie for sleeping with. I can't change my champoo because it's a prescription one. I have eczema all over my body including half of my scalp and that's the only thing keeping the eczema at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Can I ask how long your hair is?

Because if it isn't yet APL, all this putting it up might be a case of pulling it too tightly to get it up and is actually causing the breakage. Try letting it down with a loose pony at the nape (and I do mean loose), and then see what that does.
    It's just under collarbone length. Will try what you said. The only thing I'm scared of is more hair escaping from the ponytail but I have a day off today so that's no biggie. Unfortunately I have very strict hygiene rules at work because I work with food so I just can't wear my hair down either.

Quote Originally Posted by Pouncequick View Post
    I have very fine, very tangly hair. Some things that have helped me are:

-deep conditioning once a week
    -pre-wash oils
    -using silicones to make hair slippery and more manageable (others like leave ins, I prefer rinse out conditioner)
    -vinegar/acid rinses
    -hair up or braided (pigtails can work better than a single braid, less tangles than ponytails)
    -gentle detangling starting with my fingers at the bottom
    -beware of hair accessories that may further tangle your hair (watch for metal bars on elastics, rough edges, and cheap parts)
    -remove hair accessories gently
    -clarifying regularly (down the length as well) to prevent buildup

Other than the common sense rules (gentle detangling and hair contained), I would recommend testing out one product or idea at a time for at least a week to see what is actually helping. The most obvious starting place to me would be to try and secure your hair in a protective style day and night, while you wait for your pillowcase. If regular hair ties don't work, try braiding a cord into the last few bumps and tying it off. This is supposed to be gentler on the hair, but mostly I notice it is more secure and less painful to roll over while sleeping. I might also try clarifying on your next wash if your hair feels unmanageable or if you haven't done it in a long time.
    Thanks for the imput. I already do detangle that way and purposely don't use elastics with metal bars because the one time I did use one it pulled my hair enough to give me a headache. Also the elastics I do use are always removed as gently as I can. Will try the other things you mentioned.

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Iyashikei View Post
    I haven't. Will try out the oiling before shower. Do you keep it in your hair for a long time or do you rinse it out immediately?
    I try to let it soak in for ~15+ minutes (makes the hair very soft and tackles the dry stiffness) but sometimes I just immediately hop in the shower. I find it really protects from sulphates and drying chemicals in general so helps a lot either way

Oh one more thing! Since you like ponytails, really check out silk satin scrunchies (there are also skinny ones for hair on the shorter or thinner side). I love ponytails too and these have helped me tons! They never snag on the hair or dry out any part of it since it's satin
    Last edited by Glitch; July 21st, 2021 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    I try to let it soak in for ~15+ minutes (makes the hair very soft and tackles the dry stiffness) but sometimes I just immediately hop in the shower. I find it really protects from sulphates and drying chemicals in general so helps a lot either way

Oh one more thing! Since you like ponytails, really check out silk satin scrunchies (there are also skinny ones for hair on the shorter or thinner side). I love ponytails too and these have helped me tons! They never snag on the hair or dry out any part of it since it's satin
    It's not nessecarily I like ponytails but that my hair is still too short for proper buns (they get undone within minutes) and my braiding skills not being up to par combined with very little time at morning. Also, do you know any good scrunchie brands or does that not really matter? I have made the mistake of picking poor quality before.

Huh, I've been washing my hair with my medicinal shampoo and conditioning normally for a couple of days straight now and the tangles this morning are noticeably few.

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Iyashikei View Post
    It's not nessecarily I like ponytails but that my hair is still too short for proper buns (they get undone within minutes) and my braiding skills not being up to par combined with very little time at morning. Also, do you know any good scrunchie brands or does that not really matter? I have made the mistake of picking poor quality before.

Huh, I've been washing my hair with my medicinal shampoo and conditioning normally for a couple of days straight now and the tangles this morning are noticeably few.
    Ah I see! Well personally, I buy my scrunchies from DIACollections on Etsy - these are pricey since they're handmade from mulberry (the highest quality of silk there is), but these have lasted me years and years even with a bunch of washes. The quality is as if I just bought it I can easily slip these out of my hair and nothing ever snags, the scrunchie never has any loose threads or issues, and so on. I've tried some random cheap ones but those (at least for me) get ruined so easily that I can't tell if they'd have the same effect on my hair, as they never last very long before coming apart, and then the threads mess with my hair. My casual home style is basically just my hair thrown into a bun in a Dia scrunchie and it works for me this way. I can't use interesting hair forks or sticks etc. because they all give me headaches with their weight/tension, as my scalp is apparently super sensitive Anyway!! Before considering any fancy scrunchies like this, do try out the other methods like the satin pillow!

And that's great news! When you say for a couple of days straight, does it mean you wash your hair daily?
    Last edited by Glitch; July 21st, 2021 at 09:42 PM.