Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fine hair and preventing breakage

Length
    SL/BL/WL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Fine hair and preventing breakage

I am actually looking at Pantene Rescue Shots. My icon is what my hair used to look like. It's now a thin frizzy mess. Part do to breakage from having covid. But its dry and lost its thickness so I personally have stopped dying and gonna get these shots. Already changed shampoo from the Indi homemade to the Paul Mitchell Tee Tree. Just get get a real nice Moisturizing set now which I am going back to one of my old brands. So I am right there with you on thin frizzy hair breaking yuck.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercat View Post
    I am actually looking at Pantene Rescue Shots. My icon is what my hair used to look like. It's now a thin frizzy mess. Part do to breakage from having covid. But its dry and lost its thickness so I personally have stopped dying and gonna get these shots. Already changed shampoo from the Indi homemade to the Paul Mitchell Tee Tree. Just get get a real nice Moisturizing set now which I am going back to one of my old brands. So I am right there with you on thin frizzy hair breaking yuck.
    That sounds bad! I hope the shots are of any help.

Length
    .5"/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

My daughter who has straight/fine hair had the same problem. Once I fixed her issue, her mane is back to its healthy state. I needed to trim and S&D. When I brushed her hair, it would snag on her strands because of the splits... which also caused tangles.... and breakage. Dry hair causes breakage too. You may have one or both.
    "Kindness is the best nourishment for humanity"

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Iyashikei View Post
    Update: The scrunchies I bought have made my life so. Much. Easier! I don't need to spend 20 minutes of my morning detangling anymore before I can do with it what I want to do. It's also a great way to learn how to braid and I'm now slowly getting the hang out of it, so it's a win-win situation.

Unfortunately I can't really do the CWC tip because my hair needs to be completely dry for the medicinal shampoo to work properly. Not ideal but scratching the itch away will probably create more tangles than the CWC will prevent anyway. Still a huge thank you to all who tried to help because I still learned a great deal about haircare ��
    Plenty more to learn. I am here over 16 years and still learn something new depending on the day and the person posting, so also don't underestimate what you can contribute!

Well, those scrunchies were a definite hit, then?
    That's awesome!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-Lee View Post
    My daughter who has straight/fine hair had the same problem. Once I fixed her issue, her mane is back to its healthy state. I needed to trim and S&D. When I brushed her hair, it would snag on her strands because of the splits... which also caused tangles.... and breakage. Dry hair causes breakage too. You may have one or both.
    Thing is my hair is naturally fine and doesn't have any damage. It just tangles like a mofo and becomes straw the moment I forget conditioning it that day. It doesn't matter if I just had a trim and then put my hair up, my hair is tangled when I get home.

Length
    .5"/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

Then it's probably dry. Some heads need all the moisture they can get. Have you tried oil on wet hair?
    "Kindness is the best nourishment for humanity"

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Iyashikei View Post
    Thing is my hair is naturally fine and doesn't have any damage. It just tangles like a mofo and becomes straw the moment I forget conditioning it that day. It doesn't matter if I just had a trim and then put my hair up, my hair is tangled when I get home.
    I’m the same, and moisture is definitely critical for me. Lots and lots of moisture, sealed with avocado oil on the lengths helps me a lot.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but deep conditioning is often most effective on dry hair. When my hair gets dry and tangling on the ends, I apply the conditioner we normally use on dry hair and then rinse it out. I just do the ends. It works on my hair and also works on my daughter's fine straight hair. She has a lot of dry hair and breakage at the ends, especially in the areas that were ever touched by baby shampoo. We normally mix a little oil and a touch of honey with our conditioner and then pour it back into the bottle.

Anyway, it rescues straw hair in my experience.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    12/30"/38 "
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GoddesJourney View Post
    I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but deep conditioning is often most effective on dry hair. When my hair gets dry and tangling on the ends, I apply the conditioner we normally use on dry hair and then rinse it out. I just do the ends. It works on my hair and also works on my daughter's fine straight hair. She has a lot of dry hair and breakage at the ends, especially in the areas that were ever touched by baby shampoo. We normally mix a little oil and a touch of honey with our conditioner and then pour it back into the bottle.

Anyway, it rescues straw hair in my experience.
    Thank you for the suggestion - I will try this. It sounds like it would be ideal for my ends, which tend to get a little dry on the last inch or two despite oiling and putting on serum after washing.

Length
    Chin/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

This is great advice! Wash day is coming up so I will definitely give this a try. How long do you leave the deep conditioner on your hair before washing it out? And do you use a shower cap over it?