Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have silk satin pillowcases/bonnets made a big difference for you?

❤️Heatless hair —see blog Glitch's Avatar
    Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Have silk satin pillowcases/bonnets made a big difference for you?

My hair, seemingly out of nowhere, became pretty dry and brittle! I thought it must have been the leave-in conditioner I was trying for the past ~6 months (potential protein overload), so I stopped that and even re-started with a clarifying shampoo but nothing changed. I thought it was perhaps my hair dryer, even though I only use it on cold mode and have never had issues with it before, but stopping that changed nothing either. I oiled my hair too, and while my hair seemed back to normal, it wasn't long before it went all dry again.

I then remembered that my regular silk satin pillow cases went missing due an extreme home renovation and so I've been using a regular cotton pillow for a few months now. I've always slept with my hair open at night over a satin pillow, so basically I've now been sleeping with open hair over cotton. So I'm wondering... do silk satin pillowcases/bonnets etc. truly make this much of a difference?! My hair went from super soft to the Sahara desert.
    No trims since July 10th - just a motivational siggy since I have a hard time keeping my hands from snipping away!

Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Have silk satin pillowcases/bonnets made a big difference for you?

Yep, I can definitely notice a difference! My hair is way frizzier and drier with a cotton pillowcase compared to a satin one
    Chin • APL • BSL • MBL • WL​ • HL • TBL • CL
    Lady Marie of the Scarlet Kin
    in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Oh wow, I've actually also been having frizz issues (whereas I never have before! Or at least, I can't recall) on top of the dryness :O
    I ordered a satin pillowcase and am really looking forward to noticing any changes!
    No trims since July 10th - just a motivational siggy since I have a hard time keeping my hands from snipping away!

Length
    22APL/33HL?/43CL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I’ve been using a silk sleeping cap/bonnet for a couple of months now and noticed how soft and shiny my hair is. Also, my ends are less frizzy and dry.

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Jools69 View Post
    I’ve been using a silk sleeping cap/bonnet for a couple of months now and noticed how soft and shiny my hair is. Also, my ends are less frizzy and dry.
    Thanks for sharing - makes me really think this must be what's been making my hair get like this!

Length
    22APL/33HL?/43CL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    Thanks for sharing - makes me really think this must be what's been making my hair get like this!
    You’re welcome. I wasn’t sure whether it would make a difference or not, but after doing some research and some recommendations, I bought one and have never looked back.

Last night, I curled my hair with my Dyson Airwrap and slept with my bonnet on with my curls stuffed loose inside. Woke up this morning to lovely curly hair, ready for work. Much more comfortable than sleeping with pincurl clips in!

Length
    ./53/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Yep here too. Up until earlier this year I had been sleeping with my hair over a nice soft terrycloth towel on my pillow believing it would be best for an oily head. At about this time I was reading alot from EdG about lint and hair tangling. *lightbulb* After switching to a cheap satin pillowcase from Walmart, many fewer tangles in the morning, virtually no hairs in the bedding, and no "lint" all over the bathroom floor. I haven't looked back either.
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

Length
    SL/BSL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

My physical therapist has hip length hair and she suggested a satin/silk pillowcase to me just last week. She sleeps with her hair down and she said there's way less tangles than with the cotton pillowcases.
    Lady Kaname, Daywalker of the Chaos Realm in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    APL/APL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Silk pillowcases definitely made a difference for me. I used to toss and turn all night with my hair down on a cotton pillowcase, I can't tell you how much damage that caused

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I have silk pillowcases that greatly reduce the amount of friction and wear and tear around the hairline where I have finer hairs, and also at the nape since my hair is usually braided and the straight up (so I sleep with the nape directly on the pillowcase. Even a few nights on cotton, though lovely, starts to show some rub wear.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.