Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Have silk satin pillowcases/bonnets made a big difference for you?

❤️Heatless hair ósee blog Glitch's Avatar
    Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Have silk satin pillowcases/bonnets made a big difference for you?

Quote Originally Posted by AmeerahMcswee View Post
    I still need to purchase one. I found a satin bonnet online I will try and get soon. For some reason everything they sell where I am at is cotton
    It's the same for me! Even our Walmart wasn't helpful. I had to really go out of my way to find a fabric store here that carries satin. Was a bit shocking!

Length
    APL/APL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    I said Iíd update after a month of using a silk satin pillowcase, however, itís been a few days and my hair is already completely back to its normal self! I thought it would take at least a solid month to see my rough, tangly and dry hair get better, but here I am :O I put a bit of oil on my length while itís damp after a wash, go to sleep on satin by the time itís fully dry, and then enjoy for some days before repeating. Itís super soft and shiny again Canít believe just how much cotton dries out my hair, absorbing all the moisture!

When I originally started caring for my hair in the beginning, I made so many changes at once that I probably didnít realize how the satin was such an important part. The crazy thing is, this isnít even a high quality of silk Iím using! I just grabbed this cheap piece from the local fabric store where everything is a mess (while waiting for my online order of mulberry silk) and mom sewed it into a pillowcase. It means the quality doesnít matter, at least for me, as long as the weave of the material is slippery satin. Thanks for all the replies, was interesting learning about othersí experiences with this

Iím just sad I cut off so much hair these past months, thinking it was just too late/damage was done, when really everything could have been remedied. A future warning to anyone who may need it!
    Quality/type of silk doesn't matter for me either. I have a "mulberry" silk pillowcase that I only paid a small amount for, so not sure about the authenticity but it works great. So does the one I had before that I only paid $5 USD

❤️Heatless hair ósee blog Glitch's Avatar
    Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    Quality/type of silk doesn't matter for me either. I have a "mulberry" silk pillowcase that I only paid a small amount for, so not sure about the authenticity but it works great. So does the one I had before that I only paid $5 USD
    Yeah, too bad my first experience happened to be with mulberry and so I thought it was the magical mulberry helping me, when really the satin weave itself was more than enough! The more you know

I stopped using a silk pillowcase years ago when I thought I didn't see any difference. Maybe I should revisit it.

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/SL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
    I just fitting my daughter in a satin bonnet for the night. I picked up a "young girls" bonnet, but it was still too big (she's 6), so I put a little hair band on it in the front.

Mine the satin layer goes inside, like it should. I don't know if this is just a fashion accessory or poor design, hers was made to go with the shiny side outside, so the print looks funny and the seam is visible if you turn it with the shiny side on her hair. She's happy, she looks just like mommy!
    That is so cute, I have boys and their hair is stick straight, so I'm the only wavy/wurly in the house.
    CL(14")~SL(15")~APL(20")~BSL(24")~WL(27")~HL(30")
    Last cut 11 Jan '21 ~ Last dye 29 Apr '21

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/SL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I'm going into town later today and going to buy a new diffuser head and grab a satin pillowcase while I'm there. I've been meaning to for actual months now but it always slips my mind. Even if it doesn't "help", it seems it can't necessarily hurt either.
    CL(14")~SL(15")~APL(20")~BSL(24")~WL(27")~HL(30")
    Last cut 11 Jan '21 ~ Last dye 29 Apr '21

Length
    26 in/31 in/32 in
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I use a large square silk scarf wrapped around my head with the hair tucked in the top. It's works great and was cheap. It makes a big difference for me. If I don't my hair is a dry tangles frizzy mess in the morning. I toss and turn to much for a satin/silk pillow case to work well.

Length
    SL/MBL/HL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

I use both : a silk pillowcase and bonnet because silk is good for the skin and for the hair. It really makes a difference ! I wake up with good looking hair with less frizz than just wearing a protective hairstyle. The pillowcase only isn't enough tho, in my opinion, but it's a great start. My silk bonnet is from Lily silk and it's great, affordable and you can choose between different colors (really important for me haha).

Length
    Pixie/SL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Kibrah View Post
    I use a large square silk scarf wrapped around my head with the hair tucked in the top. It's works great and was cheap. It makes a big difference for me. If I don't my hair is a dry tangles frizzy mess in the morning. I toss and turn to much for a satin/silk pillow case to work well.
    I just started doing this a few days ago! So far it seems to be working well, except it's tricky to tie the scarf in a way so that it stays intact during my tossing and turning but also isn't too tight. I have two scarves that I rotate during the week (and wash several times), and they were cheaper than multiple bonnets or pillowcases (even if I made them myself).

I must have cotton against my face, so I can't do the silk pillowcases. And my scarves are so thin that my scalp doesn't get sweaty and aggravate my yeast issues--most bonnets are too thick and wouldn't let my scalp breathe.

Edited to add: I must do the silk as I can't do protective updos because my scalp is incredibly tender and sensitive, and my hair is very fine. It's also only shoulder length.
    Last edited by secret soup; July 31st, 2021 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo
    Pixie (2020) --> SL --> APL --> BSL --> Waist --> Hip --> TBL
    No trims since 4/2021

Length
    16/18.5/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I have 2 satin and 1 silk pillow case (I've been using them for years). I like them. I can't say I have really seen a difference while using them. But I keep using them because 1) theoretically they are doing something, 2) they feel nice on my skin, 3) they are also suppose to be good for preventing wrinkles.
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.
    No trims since June 10th 2021