Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have silk satin pillowcases/bonnets made a big difference for you?

Length
    20"/20"/48"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: Have silk satin pillowcases/bonnets made a big difference for you?

I've been using a silk pillowcase, and I have seen a positive change. Enough so that I'm now going to try a silk sleep bonnet. We'll see how it works!

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I said I’d update after a month of using a silk satin pillowcase, however, it’s been a few days and my hair is already completely back to its normal self! I thought it would take at least a solid month to see my rough, tangly and dry hair get better, but here I am :O I put a bit of oil on my length while it’s damp after a wash, go to sleep on satin by the time it’s fully dry, and then enjoy for some days before repeating. It’s super soft and shiny again Can’t believe just how much cotton dries out my hair, absorbing all the moisture!

When I originally started caring for my hair in the beginning, I made so many changes at once that I probably didn’t realize how the satin was such an important part. The crazy thing is, this isn’t even a high quality of silk I’m using! I just grabbed this cheap piece from the local fabric store where everything is a mess (while waiting for my online order of mulberry silk) and mom sewed it into a pillowcase. It means the quality doesn’t matter, at least for me, as long as the weave of the material is slippery satin. Thanks for all the replies, was interesting learning about others’ experiences with this

I’m just sad I cut off so much hair these past months, thinking it was just too late/damage was done, when really everything could have been remedied. A future warning to anyone who may need it!
    Last edited by Glitch; July 24th, 2021 at 11:32 AM.

Length
    CHN/APL/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I use a bonnet every night. I have curly hair and only wash/dry/style twice a week. The bonnet preserves my hair for days.

I have been shopping for a bonnet for my child today - I did a crown braid on her yesterday and she slept on it. Despite her silk pillowcase, it's all frizzed out. I think a bonnet would help, kids toss and turn a lot.

My pillowcase is silk, but my bonnet is just cheap satin - I got it from the haircare isle at my local dollar store. I like it because I can just throw it in the wash. I wash my silk pillowcases in a lingerie bag on gentle and air dry -I wash the bonnets too often for this kind of treatment, although silk dries fast.
    Loving my curls and looking to grow as far as I can go.

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

I have put a silk pillow case over the back of my lazy boy chair so when my head rubs around on it there ill not be so many tangles. I think it has helped.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

When I started using satin pillowcases I noticed a hugh difference. Less tangles and less dry hair.

But reaching a length where the ends didn't fit on the pillow anymore I started to notice more damage to the ends. Wearing a silk or satin bonnet was almost a life changer for me and I can't be without it now I make my own pillowcases och sleeping bonnets by the way.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    21/21/35
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Yes 100% yes!! I ordered a silk sleep cap and satin pillowcases back in January and my hair is sooo much more manageable and I don't think it gets breakage nearly as quickly as it used to. My silk cap slips off sometimes while I'm sleeping so I'm really glad i have the pillowcases as backup.

Length
    waist/TB/long

I used beautiful, slippery silk pillowcases for a few years. They were nice, but they did not make my hair any different. I think it depends on the texture of your hair.

Length
    TBL/37/MTL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

yes but silk is no better than satin for me

Length
    CHN/APL/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I just fitting my daughter in a satin bonnet for the night. I picked up a "young girls" bonnet, but it was still too big (she's 6), so I put a little hair band on it in the front.

Mine the satin layer goes inside, like it should. I don't know if this is just a fashion accessory or poor design, hers was made to go with the shiny side outside, so the print looks funny and the seam is visible if you turn it with the shiny side on her hair. She's happy, she looks just like mommy!
    Loving my curls and looking to grow as far as I can go.

I still need to purchase one. I found a satin bonnet online I will try and get soon. For some reason everything they sell where I am at is cotton