Thread: Colouring roots with commercial hair dye while the rest is coloured with henna?

Default Colouring roots with commercial hair dye while the rest is coloured with henna?

Has anyone been successfully able to colour their roots with regular dye while the rest of the hair is coloured with henna? Do the "seams" between the colours look weird?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Colouring roots with commercial hair dye while the rest is coloured with henna?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraKawaii View Post
    Has anyone been successfully able to colour their roots with regular dye while the rest of the hair is coloured with henna? Do the "seams" between the colours look weird?
    Can I ask why you would want to do that? Welcome to the forum, BTW.

If you are "exposing" your scalp to the chemicals, might as well pull it through the rest of the hair. The scalp is what matters most in uptake of dye (follicles).

So I would stop using the henna, or either do full henna applications. Pick one, combining is a disaster waiting to happen. If your henna is not pure, you can risk a chemical cut & burn.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Default Re: Colouring roots with commercial hair dye while the rest is coloured with henna?

I'm wondering the same thing. My almost 100% gray hair has become too difficult to keep up with with doing a 2 step process every 2-3 weeks. I'm currently trying to fade the indigo then some of the henna from my hair and then I'll probably throw on a semi or demi-permanent color to my hair after doing a test strip and then figuring out what color to do my roots to try and match it all. I'd like to know what others have used.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Can I ask why you would want to do that? Welcome to the forum, BTW.

If you are "exposing" your scalp to the chemicals, might as well pull it through the rest of the hair. The scalp is what matters most in uptake of dye (follicles).

So I would stop using the henna, or either do full henna applications. Pick one, combining is a disaster waiting to happen. If your henna is not pure, you can risk a chemical cut & burn.
    I'm assuming to switch to a color that henna doesn't "do"?
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

<br>
    <br>I have done this recently. However I tried to dye a whole new shade over the top of henna (which everything tells you doesn't work - this is because it doesn't work) My hair after 4 years (probably about 10 applications) of BAQ henna over blonde highlights is a medium auburn with 4 inches of mousey brown roots and I dyed a bright copper (ammonia free) over the top. <br><br>The thing I forgot about was that the 20% hydrogen peroxide developer in box dye would lighten whilst dyeing, so it has lightened ~2 shades and dyed my roots but been "deflected" by the henna lengths. Now I have bright copper roots and (an admittedly beautiful) copper gloss on the lengths. Interestingly, the "seams" don't look weird as the gloss the dye has given creates a good blend. If I'd colour-matched to a mid-auburn shade, or used less developer, this might have worked. The huge contrast is between my very top roots and the mid-lengths, as I still have lighter bits towards the end from old blonde highlights, which have taken on the bright copper better. So not sure what colour your hair is or what colour you're going for, but some things to consider!

I combine both ways all the time, as I do not want to be bright red at the roots, so I color the fresh roots by henna and then, after couple of days place standard box dye which I have used almost 20 years now over it. Henna goes on the whole head, dye - only on the fresh red roots. Works great. I use henna soog for henna, but used other brands before as well