Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do hairdressers condemn supermarket/store shampoos etc?

Default Why do hairdressers condemn supermarket/store shampoos etc?

Every hairdresser (and even non-LHC advice groups) tells me that shampoo and conditioner should be salon quality otherwise its horrific for the hair but surely this cannot be true...I've actually had some expensive "salon quality" products make my hair feel awful.

Anyone else come across this? Also, what non-salon shampoos and conditioners do YOU swear by?

Length
    12/30"/38 "
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: Why do hairdressers condemn supermarket/store shampoos etc?

I once went to a high-end salon for a nice cut and style, and at the end of the day whatever the stylist put in my hair just sort of glopped together by the end of the day. I looked like one of those anime people with clumps of hair all over my head - and it didn't look good!

I somehow doubt manufacturers are going to spend tons of money developing products for home users that are not good for hair. I've never had a problem with buying store products as long as I stuck with known brands.

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Regardless of anything else, they need to make money. If they can sell their salon product instead of a store product, that's more income. People then need to believe it so they don't feel foolish sticking with salon products.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

They probably say that so people pay more and buy the salon brands. As for myself, I much prefer the store products and bonus, they are cheaper too!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I know this is BS because why? Salons have their own products to push, it's just economy speaking. No more, no less.

I have known high end brands that are no better than drugstore. Take for instance Bonacure by Schwarzkopf, which is high-end, like €20 for a tiny jar of their hair mask high-end, so: expensive. It is also "just" Schwarzkopf. And let me tell you even drugstore products need to meet requirements or they cannot go to market.

So don't let hairdressers fool you.

From your earlier question about what to ask your hairdresser for a cut, I take it you have not gone past that stage from "freeing yourself up" from their claws.

Now, that said, if high-end choices are present for me, Davines lines are nice! Kérastase lines are nice, but that's what I have personal experience with. The one Bonacure mask from Schwarzkopf I had was nice, I admit, but no better than their regular drugstore range, even though, they do not have masks in their regular range, but they do do some very nice conditioners!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Anything that is not making the money for them is the devil
    Put here : drugstore products, herbal dyes, box dyes, oils, cutting your hair yourself... growing your hair very long
    In the end of the day its all just about marketing. And bashing the concurrence.
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Yes, money is a huge reason but they are also taught this in school. They probably have no idea why drug store products are supposed to be bad.
    My hair dresser doesn't sell any products but she does recommended some of the higher end brands. As far as drug store, she says suave is one of the best and went into the science why.
    I mostly use suave so I was happy to hear that. She said pantene is one of the worse

Account Closed by Member Request

Most hairdressers also aren't that knowledgeable about ingredients - hence their sometimes conflicting statements about silicones (i.e. silicones in drugstore shampoos will never again wash out of your hair but silicones in their salon shampoos are much higher quality and nothing to worry about ). I always take recommendations from hairdressers with a huge grain of salt because at the end of the day, I know my hair much better than they do.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Hedwig, I don't think most hairdressers are knowledgeable about ingredients at all. Because even high end stuffs contain sulfates and silicones, and let that be the thing they call the devil.

And Pantene being named the worst by hairdressers, that's just about a given. I have never had issues with my Pantene shampoos. They may get a bad wrap because they have a harsh formula, but I don't think that is why they get a thumbs down from hairdressers. Back in the 90s Pantene was über popular, so much so that hairdressers couldn't push their stuff on people anymore... I mean, no wonder, right?

It's just all very basic as to why they push high-end and condemn drugstore. It otherwise doesn't make them money. That is all.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Shampoos, you gotta find what suits you, shelf or otherwise.
    Conditioners, well that's a different story at least for me.
    I found one of the best ones in drugstore, Pantene Repair&Protect(gold bottle) in particular. So, as usual, it's all about what your hair likes.
    I honestly didn't try any of the high end stuff.. So I can't trash it. But I've seen a lot of instagram influencers pushing all natural organic stuff. No sulphates no silicones and stuff like that. My hair loves both. What nobody tells you, hairdresser or influencer, is that it literally depends on your head of hair.
    I also got a friends whos a hairdresser. She buys cheap stuff, she just knows how to use it. I looked for the stuff she uses, it's cheaper than drugstore.
    Most of us don't wait out the conditioner, or mask. So the effect is different. Now, there are some brands, that are sold just trough salons, but to me that's the same as Oriflame. When you get in they immediately try to sell you stuff you don't really need. Also more expensive than in drugstore.
    Last edited by Belgrade Beauty; July 7th, 2021 at 02:46 PM.
    Growing virgin hip length