Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do hairdressers condemn supermarket/store shampoos etc?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Why do hairdressers condemn supermarket/store shampoos etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Belgrade Beauty View Post
    Shampoos, you gotta find what suits you, shelf or otherwise.
    Conditioners, well that's a different story at least for me.
    I found one of the best ones in drugstore, Pantene Repair&Protect(gold bottle) in particular. So, as usual, it's all about what your hair likes.
    I honestly didn't try any of the high end stuff.. So I can't trash it. But I've seen a lot of instagram influencers pushing all natural organic stuff. No sulphates no silicones and stuff like that. My hair loves both. What nobody tells you, hairdresser or influencer, is that it literally depends on your head of hair.
    I also got a friends whos a hairdresser. She buys cheap stuff, she just knows how to use it. I looked for the stuff she uses, it's cheaper than drugstore.
    Most of us don't wait out the conditioner, or mask. So the effect is different. Now, there are some brands, that are sold just trough salons, but to me that's the same as Oriflame. When you get in they immediately try to sell you stuff you don't really need. Also more expensive than in drugstore.
    Yes, always look at your own scalp / hair and how that responds for you. We tend to forget that, but it is so important. If you have a head with a high price tag (that somehow sounds wrong LOL), well so be it, but I would try drugstore things out first until you find something you like, then venture out (by then you'll have saved the cash for more as well, hopefully).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The hair stylist that I had the longest told me that drugstore products are like the cheapest margarine, and salon products are like the finest clarified butter. My hair responded very well to the salon products that she recommended, but I think they quit making it. I stopped going to her because I was tired of lectures regarding her political views when mine were 180 degrees opposite. Not long after that I could no longer find the products that she recommended. I remember that the first ingredient was aloe vera, not water.

Some people prefer the cheapest margarine, and that's fine. I remember as a kid I thought that butter tasted nasty.

Length
    13/34/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I do think some of their stuff are gentler if your hair is permed or bleached. Such hair can be dry and brittle and need a lot of care. However on virgin hair it wouldn't make much difference. I have a hair dresser friend who once gave me a set of very expensive stuff. Made me look like a greaseball. I gave them to my mom who had permed hair.

Gentler isn't equal to better. It is assumed that everyone would wash their hair everyday, so harsh shampoo can be very drying. Now if you wash once a week or something, your priority is to get it really clean.

Length
    12/29in/36 in
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Hedwig, I don't think most hairdressers are knowledgeable about ingredients at all. Because even high end stuffs contain sulfates and silicones, and let that be the thing they call the devil.

And Pantene being named the worst by hairdressers, that's just about a given. I have never had issues with my Pantene shampoos. They may get a bad wrap because they have a harsh formula, but I don't think that is why they get a thumbs down from hairdressers. Back in the 90s Pantene was über popular, so much so that hairdressers couldn't push their stuff on people anymore... I mean, no wonder, right?

It's just all very basic as to why they push high-end and condemn drugstore. It otherwise doesn't make them money. That is all.
    Well, unfortunately for the hairdresser, Pantene combination shampoo/conditioner has turned out to be the best thing for my hair. I go by what results in good-feeling hair, and going by my experiences with salons, I haven't had much good luck with them, either with products or cutting!

I think their recommendations are right up there with 'cut every three months to grow your hair!'

I prefer going to the dentist to the hairdresser, in fact I dread going to salons because I never know how good or bad the cut will be. I felt like walking out with a paper bag over my head sometime.

Length
    BSL/BCL+/CL+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I think they genuinely think high end products are better than regular ones.
    I haven't tried enough salon products to report my experience, but I always consider a product for how it works, without attention to the price.
    Next Goal: TBL. Final Goal: CL+.
    26/07/2019 last bleach - 11/10/2019 last dye

Length
    Hip/CL+/MTL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    The hair stylist that I had the longest told me that drugstore products are like the cheapest margarine, and salon products are like the finest clarified butter. My hair responded very well to the salon products that she recommended, but I think they quit making it. I stopped going to her because I was tired of lectures regarding her political views when mine were 180 degrees opposite. Not long after that I could no longer find the products that she recommended. I remember that the first ingredient was aloe vera, not water.

Some people prefer the cheapest margarine, and that's fine. I remember as a kid I thought that butter tasted nasty.
    All I can say is I'm glad my hair likes the margarine so I can afford to give my body the butter!
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Length
    APL/APL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I don't think hair dressers have any real knowledge about ingredients in a product. It's an uneducated opinion, or maybe they lie to sell their product. In which case you can't really blame them. Just know your stuff, use what works for you. I like some high end products and some very cheap drug store products. Sometimes it isn't about the price but how your hair responds to it

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire-o View Post
    I do think some of their stuff are gentler if your hair is permed or bleached. Such hair can be dry and brittle and need a lot of care. However on virgin hair it wouldn't make much difference. I have a hair dresser friend who once gave me a set of very expensive stuff. Made me look like a greaseball. I gave them to my mom who had permed hair.
    Yeah, I think that's also a part of the reason! They are often dealing with hair that's been chemically treated and damaged in some way or another (bleached, dyed, permed, what have you) and I think for that type of hair, salon products are much more likely to actually make a difference. I have virgin hair and don't even really use heat, so my hair can handle supermarket shampoo. But even when my hair was bleached, the Pantene 3 Minute conditioner worked amazing.

Length
    SL/BCL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I remember that I did get some sort of detangling leave-in from a salon that was the best thing I had ever used. It was light, it detangled my hair nicely (and didn't knot it up later), and it came in a decently large bottle that seemed to last forever. I'm pretty sure it was discontinued ages ago and I've since found that jojoba oil works even better for me.

Other than that, I find it easier to get shampoos that don't irk my scalp in the drugstore and the perfume can be a lot less heavy depending on the brand. Though that is getting more and more difficult as everything gets "longer lasting" perfumes added to it with the trend to stretch washes. Salon shampoos and conditioners I've tried are really strong smelling and they often leave my scalp irritated. My length likes them but the smell is overpowering. They also seem really prone to use whims and trends to decide which ingredients they should use rather than focusing on what result the product is meant to give.

SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ WL ~ HL~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ FTL

Length
    Pit/Pit/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

My hair is bleached, and I've just learned that acidic shampoos/conditioners/treatments are very important for preserving hair that has been processed. Apparently, something like 75% of salon products are acidic, whereas a considerably smaller percentage of drugstore products are acidic. So I think that has a lot to do with it. If your hair is virgin, it probably isn't quite as important to hit that sweet spot on the pH scale.
    That said, I'm waiting on some litmus paper to show up in my mailbox, so I can find a good acidic drugstore shampoo