Thread: How will oil affect dye absorption

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default How will oil affect dye absorption

I'm considering oiling my hair liberally with olive oil before my henna application. Alternatively I could add it directly to the henna mud. One recommendation I've seen is 1/4 cup oil to 1 cup henna mud.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Default Re: How will oil affect dye absorption

I think this one might be a YMMV. I’ve hennaed with lots of coconut oil in my hair and the dye came out just fine. My hair was oily until I washed it but not that dry post-henna feeling. If you use the search function to look for older posts though, what I’ve read is some people say the oil inhibits dye and others say it’s just fine. I’ll usually add a couple teaspoons to my mud.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think it might "mess" with dye if you use too much. Enough to barely coat the hair should be fine, but like an oil slick... I wouldn't do it. There's a fine line here, IMO. If it mimics your own oily scalp, it's more than enough to catch the dye's harsher process, but that goes for chemical dye most of all, not so much natural dyes.

For natural dyes, I think adding some (not that much) to your mixture should be better. IMHO.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Waist/3 ft./6ft.
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I think it might "mess" with dye if you use too much. Enough to barely coat the hair should be fine, but like an oil slick... I wouldn't do it. There's a fine line here, IMO. If it mimics your own oily scalp, it's more than enough to catch the dye's harsher process, but that goes for chemical dye most of all, not so much natural dyes.

For natural dyes, I think adding some (not that much) to your mixture should be better. IMHO.
    I agree with Lapushka,I think - BUT this may just be because that is how I always do it.
    In other words; having never really DOUSED my hair with oil to the point of dripping,I can only speak to what happens when you oil to the point of obviously greasy, even heavier on the ends. It may be just fine, but I tend to think it would just be overkill and give no extra benefit.
    That said - I don't think it's POSSIBLE to oil your hair so heavily that a full head henna treatment won't remove it!

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Are you hoping to reduce the dye uptake for a milder stain or is this to counter post henna dryness? I've usually applied my henna to oiled hair as it's quite cleansing but never so much oil that my hair is dripping with it. If you are looking for a milder stain with less dryness then I'd suggest mixing it with coconut milk (full fat). That gives me amazing results but definitely less stain, more shine and none of the dryness.
    You could try the super heavy oiling or adding lots of oil to your henna mix and see what happens. The worst that can happen is you don't get the colour you want and waste some henna (and oil) but it's all a learning curve finding out what works for you and how to get the results you desire. Good luck.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.