Thread: Itís been a while, having some hair issues.

Question Itís been a while, having some hair issues.

Hello all. I havenít been around for quite some time. I understand the forum was down for a while, I did try to find it but was not able. Long story short, I had been rocking a stacked bob, ďKarenĒ hairdo, which I loved, was super easy, flattering and expensive to maintain. I lost my job in 2017 and decided one of the least necessary expenses that I could cut was those every four to five week haircuts. Fast forward to today, my hair has grown to bra strap to mid back length and I have recently noticed very dry ends, sort of ratty looking and fragile. I try to be careful with my hair, I wear it in topknots and messy buns most of the time. Have been washing scalp only and conditioning length once a week. I havenít had a real trim since long before COVID began. My growth seems to have stalled and the condition of the length seems to be degrading. I have tried oiling, which seemed to help a little, but is somewhat unpleasant.

What am I DOING WRONG??

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Itís been a while, having some hair issues.

Welcome back! Oil is fine, but doesn't add moisture and it sounds as if that is what you need. I prefer aloe vera gel or detangling spray for my ends and lengths whenever they feel dry. And then I seal it in with some oil

It could also be mineral build up if you have hard water. I do, so I have to remove the minerals for my ends to not get dry and straw like.

I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by brdmom View Post
    Hello all. I haven’t been around for quite some time. I understand the forum was down for a while, I did try to find it but was not able. Long story short, I had been rocking a stacked bob, “Karen” hairdo, which I loved, was super easy, flattering and expensive to maintain. I lost my job in 2017 and decided one of the least necessary expenses that I could cut was those every four to five week haircuts. Fast forward to today, my hair has grown to bra strap to mid back length and I have recently noticed very dry ends, sort of ratty looking and fragile. I try to be careful with my hair, I wear it in topknots and messy buns most of the time. Have been washing scalp only and conditioning length once a week. I haven’t had a real trim since long before COVID began. My growth seems to have stalled and the condition of the length seems to be degrading. I have tried oiling, which seemed to help a little, but is somewhat unpleasant.

What am I DOING WRONG??
    Are you heat styling, still? Like a flat iron or curling iron?

What's your general routine like, yes, up to the products you use (brand/type)?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Thank you for the replies. I will have to get some aloe Vera to try that.

As far as heat styling, I have not done that on a regular basis for a few years now. I will use a curling iron for special occasions, but no longer blow dry or use a flat iron. I did like my waving iron, but haven’t used it in ages either.

I wash my hair once a week in the tub, conditioning the ends first, then wash scalp, then re-condition length and rinse out. Put hair up in a turbi twist towel for 1/2 hour or more before taking it down and combing it out.

I have used Keranique s&c, L’Oreal dream lengths s&c and most recently got collective laboratories s&c and treatment for growth…not sure I like it at all. Have used most of the affordable shampoos, volumizing or bodifying formulas most of the time. Haven’t really run across anything spectacular though. I tried coconut oil and more recently a black castor oil mixture made for hair. I haven’t got the hang of oiling though, it looks yucky.

I sleep with my hair in a topknot, which I am not sure is good. I just can’t sleep with it loose because it keeps getting caught under me. I had a satin pillowcase, but did not like that at all, couldn’t stay on my pillow, haha. I think I need to try a satin sleep cap, because most of the tangles are in the morning, in the back of my head, even with the topknot.

On the bright side, I was able to do a figure eight bun today, but it is pretty tiny and pitiful.

Oh, and I am turning 60 this year, so post menopause, which has caused some thinning I think.
    Last edited by brdmom; July 1st, 2021 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Edited to add age

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thank you for the replies. I will have to get some aloe Vera to try that.

As far as heat styling, I have not done that on a regular basis for a few years now. I will use a curling iron for special occasions, but no longer blow dry or use a flat iron. I did like my waving iron, but haven’t used it in ages either.

I wash my hair once a week in the tub, conditioning the ends first, then wash scalp, then re-condition length and rinse out. Put hair up in a turbi twist towel for 1/2 hour or more before taking it down and combing it out.

I have used Keranique s&c, L’Oreal dream lengths s&c and most recently got collective laboratories s&c and treatment for growth…not sure I like it at all. Have used most of the affordable shampoos, volumizing or bodifying formulas most of the time. Haven’t really run across anything spectacular though. I tried coconut oil and more recently a black castor oil mixture made for hair. I haven’t got the hang of oiling though, it looks yucky.

I sleep with my hair in a topknot, which I am not sure is good. I just can’t sleep with it loose because it keeps getting caught under me. I had a satin pillowcase, but did not like that at all, couldn’t stay on my pillow, haha. I think I need to try a satin sleep cap, because most of the tangles are in the morning, in the back of my head, even with the topknot.

On the bright side, I was able to do a figure eight bun today, but it is pretty tiny and pitiful.

Oh, and I am turning 60 this year, so post menopause, which has caused some thinning I think.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. Nothing wrong with a blow dryer (if used properly, so not high heat, just cool/warm bearable on the skin type of temperatures, which are A-OK for hair too). Hmm, that can't be it then.

Just if you find white dots way up a strand with a sharp angle, that is heat damage. Just FYI.

Nothing wrong with your routine I can see. There is a sulfate shampoo in there. Hmmm; if you let the suds run down, might want to suds up the lengths to clarify one time. It might be as simple as build up on the lengths. I'd try that.

I am menopausal myself (49, so quite early, no period since October 12, 2020, so yeah, getting there). No secret.

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    Welcome back! Oil is fine, but doesn't add moisture and it sounds as if that is what you need. I prefer aloe vera gel or detangling spray for my ends and lengths whenever they feel dry. And then I seal it in with some oil

It could also be mineral build up if you have hard water. I do, so I have to remove the minerals for my ends to not get dry and straw like.
    Quote Originally Posted by lapushkan3891189
    Nothing wrong with your routine I can see. There is a sulfate shampoo in there. Hmmm; if you let the suds run down, might want to suds up the lengths to clarify one time. It might be as simple as build up on the lengths. I'd try that.

Thank you for this info, I did a thorough wash and conditioning without leave in and my hair feels so much better. No more stiffness and crunchy ends.
    Last edited by brdmom; July 5th, 2021 at 11:59 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Thank you for this info, I did a thorough wash and conditioning without leave in and my hair feels so much better. No more stiffness and crunchy ends.
    Ooooh what went wrong with my username there? Weeeiiird.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Ooooh what went wrong with my username there? Weeeiiird.
    Sorry, I can explain that. I couldn’t figure how to add a second quote, so I copied the codes that I saw used and pasted your quote between them.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Sorry, I can explain that. I couldn’t figure how to add a second quote, so I copied the codes that I saw used and pasted your quote between them.
    Ah that's it! Okidoki.

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    3a/M/C/ii

When I was doing yoga frequently I would always throw my hair up in a top knot or messy bun. I think that might be the culprit. Now I braid it a lot more (after brushing) and it's a lot better. Something to try!