Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rose Vinegar Hair Rinse

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Rose Vinegar Hair Rinse

Can't wait to hear how it goes. If you have any questions or need help, feel free to message me.
    I'm not great at fermenting but my vinegars are always good.

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Can't wait to hear how it goes. If you have any questions or need help, feel free to message me.
    I'm not great at fermenting but my vinegars are always good.
    Thank you, I appreciate it a lot! One more question and I tried to look it up but do you have to close the jar in the first phase (alcohol phase)? Because some websites state that you have to close the jar and some say you need to expose it to air (and cover with cheesecloth) to ferment.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I leave mine open to air. I do cover with a coffee filter held in place with a rubber band to keep out dust and insects.

This particular vinegar, I used a jar with a water seal but only because that jar was the right size.

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I don't have a proper weight to keep all the petals submerged. So I give it a good stir every day to make sure everything is covered. It is starting to foam/bubble when I stir it, I read that is a good sign. So far no mold whatsoever.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Yep, thats a great sign. Give it a couple days then smell it, should be able to smell the alcohol.

Now that I strained out the petals in mine, the liquid it carbonated from the sugars still fermenting

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Yep, thats a great sign. Give it a couple days then smell it, should be able to smell the alcohol.

Now that I strained out the petals in mine, the liquid it carbonated from the sugars still fermenting
    Yay, how exciting! Is there a limit to ferment the rose petals? Or should I strain right away when the alcohol smell is noticeable?

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I try to let stuff ferment until activity/carbonation has stopped or mostly stopped. That could take a couple weeks or more, depends on how much sugar needing to be converted to alcohol

I strained mine a bit too soon but it didn't hurt anything. It's starting to loose the carbonation so it's about done, then starts the process of turning to vinegar
    Last edited by Obsidian; July 10th, 2021 at 07:18 PM.

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I try to let stuff ferment until activity/carbonation has stopped or mostly stopped. That could take a couple weeks or more, depends on how much sugar needing to be converted to alcohol

I strained mine a bit too soon but it didn't hurt anything. It's starting to loose the carbonation so it's about done, then starts the process of turning to vinegar
    Thank you so much for answering all my questions. It helps a lot. Today I noticed that the cheesecloth was a little wet because the petals got pushed up because of the carbonation. I gave it a good stir and the petals sank again.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

If it keeps rising enough to wet the cover, you might want to transfer to a larger jar. Its going to keep rising like that, might have to stir it down more often.

Once the petals are removed you won't have to stir it or mess with it at all, just let it sit and do its thing

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Hmmm I don't have a larger jar available right now. I was wondering if it could hurt the mixture if I divided it over 2 jars?