Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard water advice?

Question Hard water advice?

I've currently found a combo of products that seems to work lovely for me: a serum, a conditioner bar, an specific shampoo (natura siberica neutral hydrolate shampoo, the coconut sulfate version) and weak acidic rinses. Thing is, my soft city water allows me to enjoy this routine without my scalp freaking out.
    When I travel for the holidays (family duty) I'm stuck with horribly hard water. It makes my scalp overproduce sebum, every single product under the sun builds up like crazy, and my hair smells horrible after a day or two, along with all sorts of issues with uncontrollable itching and flaking. Clarifying seems to help a little, but results don't last and my hair turns wiry and unmanageable. It's like I have to choose between my scalp and my hair.
    I don't want to suffer with a painful, itchy scalp (excess sebum makes my fungal issues flare) but I dont want dry, wiry hair either. So, any longhair who lives in places with hard water or visits places with hard water for long stretches of time, I beg for your advice! Bonus points if you have fungal issues
    Shaven/Shoulder/APL
    conehead, sulfate user, frequent washer

Length
    ./53/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hard water advice?

I've found ION Hard Water shampoo (from Sally's) and a final rinse using 1/2 gallon of distilled water to be enormously helpful to me over the past 6 weeks since I started "investigating" my own water here. I have had in the past yeast issues resulting from "stretching" washes beyond what's prudent. Been there done that. Now I wash Mondays and Fridays always.
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryours View Post
    I've found ION Hard Water shampoo (from Sally's) and a final rinse using 1/2 gallon of distilled water to be enormously helpful to me over the past 6 weeks since I started "investigating" my own water here. I have had in the past yeast issues resulting from "stretching" washes beyond what's prudent. Been there done that. Now I wash Mondays and Fridays always.
    I'm not from the USA, so I'll have to skip the shampoo brand, but I think I should be able to get distilled water just fine. I'll see if I can find a good chelating shampoo, because my clarifying ones were clearly not cutting it. Thank you for your reply!
    Shaven/Shoulder/APL

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Yes, definitely try a chelating shampoo! Often they'll be labelled as shampoos for swimmers.

I also found Nightblooming's alluvial to be a lifesaver when I moved into a place with a dodgy water softener in a city with very hard water, but if that's not feasible for you with international shipping then any acid rinse (vinegar, citric acid, etc.) can help, and vinegar especially might be beneficial with your fungal issues.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Uh, I'm following this thread... I recently noticed the change in water, when I boil it for coffee, it has white residue. I'm guessing it's not good for hair.
    Growing virgin hip length

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/SL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Is it possible for you to use a bucket method, washing and rinsing with filtered water from a jug with your hair flipped forward? It would be a temporary solution for the time you are visiting family and would avoid the hard water on your hair.

Length
    ./53/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Belgrade Beauty View Post
    Uh, I'm following this thread... I recently noticed the change in water, when I boil it for coffee, it has white residue. I'm guessing it's not good for hair.
    No those "dissolved solids" from your tap are not good for hair. They will dry it out = breakage. My coffee maker quickly develops that white stuff and even my ends did, until recently! After showering, they are the last to dry as water slowly seeps down the length while evaporating so any salts in the water will be concentrated at the ends. A week of so ago I was looking at my hair with a magnifying glass and spied "white dots" at the tips of many. After washing though, and now rinsing with distilled water, they disappeared so I think they were in fact just salts which accumulated at the tips while the water evaporated.

Length
    ./53/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Eastbound&Down View Post
    Is it possible for you to use a bucket method, washing and rinsing with filtered water from a jug with your hair flipped forward? It would be a temporary solution for the time you are visiting family and would avoid the hard water on your hair.
    I've tried this. With longer hair, I end up with a rat's nest of tangles. So I never flip my hair forward, always back. After washing under the shower head, I use 1 pint dH2O poured over the scalp so it flows down the length twice followed by 1 quart dH2O for dunking the length. It really surprised me how "milky" the dunk water became which showed me my rinse out of hte final conditioner (CWC) was not very thorough and left a lot of residue in my hair.

Length
    waist/TB/long

I live with very hard water. After every wash I use a final rinse of about a tablespoon of citric acid powder dissolved in about 40 ounces of tap water. I don't rinse this out. This helps.

Quote Originally Posted by florenonite View Post
    Yes, definitely try a chelating shampoo! Often they'll be labelled as shampoos for swimmers.

I also found Nightblooming's alluvial to be a lifesaver when I moved into a place with a dodgy water softener in a city with very hard water, but if that's not feasible for you with international shipping then any acid rinse (vinegar, citric acid, etc.) can help, and vinegar especially might be beneficial with your fungal issues.
    Yes, I've noticed my hair and scalp really like acid rinses! Specially vinegar. I'll probably end up doing them every wash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastbound&Down View Post
    I think I probably could! As I've mentioned before my hair just. Doesn't really tangle. So for getting my hair wet before shampooing this could be real useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I live with very hard water. After every wash I use a final rinse of about a tablespoon of citric acid powder dissolved in about 40 ounces of tap water. I don't rinse this out. This helps.
    I had to Google how much an ounce is (again) but yeah, that makes sense. Same logic as an ACV rinse, which I'll probably stick to because it's more accessible to me.
    Shaven/Shoulder/APL