Thread: Coarse hair suddenly changing texture?

Question Coarse hair suddenly changing texture?

Hi guys,
    I've noticed some developments on my head recently that left me somewhat puzzled so I thought I'd share and see if anyone has experienced anything similar?
    So I've always had this chunk of hair at the back of my head in the crown area that was much different in texture from the rest of my hair (which is silky, wavy, and normal-fine in texture). It was coarse, extremely thick and also way darker than the rest of my hair. I called it my "horse hair" because it was so thick, basically impossible to de-frizz and moisturize, and just felt like wire. I started growing that type of hair when I went through puberty and apparently, according to everything I've read about it online, such changes in texture can happen when there's a hormonal change or imbalance. So that makes sense to me. However: Recently I've noticed that the roots in my crown area are no longer growing in as coarse and thick as usual. At first I even thought I had some kind of product or oil build-up at the back of my head because the hair no longer frizzed like crazy when I air dried my hair after washing. But it seems as though the patch of wire-like hair is now growing in with the same texture as the rest of my hair? I don't know what to make of this at all - I'm long past puberty, haven't done anything recently that could have changed my hormone levels and live a relatively normal and healthy life. Has anyone else had this happen? Should I be worried?

Length
    Shorn/SL/Floor

Default Re: Coarse hair suddenly changing texture?

I went through a gender transition in 2016 and my hairs gone from mostly straight to somewhat wavy and coarse so it makes sense its hormonal

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

May I ask how old you are? Women can start perimenoupase as young as 35, so its absolutely possible to be hormone related.

You could always have a blood test, make sure everything is normal. I don't know if thyroid could affect hair like that but if you have other symptoms like dry skin and fatigue, should get it checked
    Back to henna, again

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    May I ask how old you are? Women can start perimenoupase as young as 35, so its absolutely possible to be hormone related.

You could always have a blood test, make sure everything is normal. I don't know if thyroid could affect hair like that but if you have other symptoms like dry skin and fatigue, should get it checked
    Im 22! Definitely not menopause. I have been thinking about getting my blood tested recently, I should really get an appointment soon.

Length
    SL/BSL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

My body changed a lot when I was about 23 to 24. I started getting acne, my hair got wavier, my body shape changed somewhat, even my hormones changed! I had get off the pill at 24 because I couldn't tolerate the hormones anymore despite having 5 prior years of no issues with it. If you're not having any weird symptoms or other unexplained health issues then it sounds like a natural texture change to me.

Of course it's good to get blood tests every once in a while so you can establish a good baseline of what's normal for your body so if you need one anyways then I say why not? Plus it'll give you peace of mind that there's no underlying problems.
    Lady Kaname, Daywalker of the Chaos Realm in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Have you had a change in weight or body fat? That can affect your hormones. If I gain body fat, especially if I decrease exercise at the same time, I have a significant change in menstrual periods.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox_Inber View Post
    My body changed a lot when I was about 23 to 24. I started getting acne, my hair got wavier, my body shape changed somewhat, even my hormones changed! I had get off the pill at 24 because I couldn't tolerate the hormones anymore despite having 5 prior years of no issues with it. If you're not having any weird symptoms or other unexplained health issues then it sounds like a natural texture change to me.

Of course it's good to get blood tests every once in a while so you can establish a good baseline of what's normal for your body so if you need one anyways then I say why not? Plus it'll give you peace of mind that there's no underlying problems.
    I also think it's most likely a natural change in texture. But I'm always super conscious about my body changing because I don't want to miss any signs/symptoms of anything bigger going on. However I googled it some more last night and apparently your texture can change naturally as you age. It's just a little weird to me since I'm still pretty young.

GoddesJourney, I gained some weight over the past 6 months but I contribute that to lockdown, winter and kind of "happy relationship"-weight. It's also just a tiny amount, all my clothes still fit me.