Thread: Olive Oil Lightening???

Length
    BSL/Hip/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Question Olive Oil Lightening???

aka "I just read the olive oil can lighten hair and I am confused, so I'm here asking you lovely folks"

(Also I did a forum search but couldn't find a conclusive answer to my specific question and scenario, so here we go).

So, I've been using olive oil to oil my hair for about an hour. I do this about once a week unless I'm having a crazy week with my wash days and then I'll oil it twice in a week if I feel like my hair is getting dry. My hair is naturally a dark blonde, although I had platinum blonde hair as a child and it's darkened as I've gotten older. I was just wondering if anyone has had olive oil lighten their hair when they only use it for wash day oiling and not in a lightening treatment or in conjunction with honey. Considering the fact that my hair is still darkening naturally (it's growing out to be a very very dark blonde/very light brown at the roots), I would hate to have an unintentional ombre effect going on, if the olive oil would theoretically lighten my hair.

Also, if there is a risk that it could lighten my hair, does anybody have any recommendations for oils that wouldn't alter my hair color?
    "But if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering." - 1 Corinthians 11:15
    BSL-->Midback Length-->(nearly) Hip--->Hip with even hem--->Classic

Length
    APL/WL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Olive Oil Lightening???

I use olive oil occasionally as a pre poo treatment and have not noticed it lightening my hair. And I use honey every week in SMT and haven't noticed any hair lightening affects from that either. Maybe it would be possible with lighter colored hair such as yours. If you're worried about it, I've heard heating up honey until it's bubbling hot would remove the bleaching properties

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Olive Oil Lightening???

I think I remember reading somewhere that in some cases lauric acid or other fatty acids inside extra virgin oils may brighten the hair... But I think it would be barely visible.

Honey lightening, which in my experience works, though subtly, uses EVOO for this very reason.
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...