Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unsure if I should give CO a try...

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Question Unsure if I should give CO a try...

Howdy, all! I KNOW you guys would know the answer to this question.

I have 1c/2a, F, ii hair. I also have scalp psoriasis. Is something like CO washing a good idea? I did it in college and it made my semi-wavy hair have SUCH good waves and I rememeber my psoriasis being better as well. but I am 11 years out of college now (turning 33 this month) and I'm not sure if my scalp psoriasis will do alright with CO washing...

I'd love y'all's thoughts!
    Lady Lolury Guardian of the Crystal in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Current hair care goal: No trims until July 2022 (unless something major should change)!

Default Re: Unsure if I should give CO a try...

Personally, I dont think it'd be a good idea. You don't want to risk any fungal or bacterial overgrowth that, while benign/just a minor annoyance to other, could really flare up your psoriasis. If you're in it just for the gentle cleansing, a sulphate free shampoo or even a mild sulphate one could work just fine! And as someone with waves, what determines them is mostly my conditioning, not my shampooing. Maybe your waves formed better because CO requires very thorough massage, and that makes most conditioners emulsify like crazy and work themselves in to your hair strands! You could try working your regular conditioner in for longer (I'm talking three to five minutes, if you have the time and energy). It makes a world of difference to me.
    Shaven/Shoulder/APL
    conehead, sulfate user, frequent washer

Length
    26 in/31 in/32 in
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I think it all depends on your hair and scalp. If it has helped you in the past I would think it would be worth a try. For me, it does help my dry itchy scalp, but I only do it every other wash at the moment as I am still kinda feeling it out to see how my hair and scalp like it. I am using the As I Am Coconut Co-Wash. I think I will try something different when I am through the tub I have as I think it does leave buildup on my hair. I also tried VO5 Strawberries and cream, but it has the itchy M's and my scalp and skin did not tolerate it at all.

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Thank you guys for the insights!
    Current hair care goal: No trims until July 2022 (unless something major should change)!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by aloewurly View Post
    Personally, I dont think it'd be a good idea. You don't want to risk any fungal or bacterial overgrowth that, while benign/just a minor annoyance to other, could really flare up your psoriasis. If you're in it just for the gentle cleansing, a sulphate free shampoo or even a mild sulphate one could work just fine! And as someone with waves, what determines them is mostly my conditioning, not my shampooing. Maybe your waves formed better because CO requires very thorough massage, and that makes most conditioners emulsify like crazy and work themselves in to your hair strands! You could try working your regular conditioner in for longer (I'm talking three to five minutes, if you have the time and energy). It makes a world of difference to me.
    ^^ Totally agree with this. If you have a finicky scalp, be extra careful! Always a good thing.

Also, yes, I cleanse with a harsh sulfate shampoo, but I double condition afterwards, to combat the dryness of the shampoo for one. It works, somehow. My routine is in my signature, BTW. Has been going great for me, for many years now!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/MTL/Knee
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by aloewurly View Post
    I agree with this also. With a scalp condition I wouldn't suggest experimenting with CO. On the other hand, experimenting with different conditioners and masks and application techniques for the lengths (if you're at a point where you have the length to avoid your scalp? I see you list your length as "pixie") could be great for your waves, without the risk.
    50.5" of hair (June 30 2021)
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

I don't see why you couldn't try it. Especially as you know it *has* worked for you in the past.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I don't see why you couldn't try it. Especially as you know it *has* worked for you in the past.
    Begs the question. What did you use in college days, Starbunny. You said it's 11 years ago, and I don't think they had the marketed "CO-washes" back then. Just plain old conditioner. If you are planning on going back to it, try and use the same products you did then. Sometimes the products matter!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/BSL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Just my but CO washing doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation. You could try CO washing once or twice a week (or two, depending on your wash schedule) and see your hair and scalp respond. I personally can't do regular CO washing because I need sulfate shampoo but I do benefit from it once in a while like I would a deep conditioning treatment. Good luck!
    Lady Kaname, Daywalker of the Chaos Realm in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Thanks all of you for further thoughts! I like the idea of Wash, Condition, Condition. In college, I used suave cone-free products.