Thread: I'm new and I need some help! :)

Default I'm new and I need some help! :)

Hi everyone!

So I've been growing my hair out for a while now, it's almost down to BSL. However a month or so ago I noticed that what I thought was just a green tint due to the light in my bathroom is actually a weird sort of greasy green film around some individual hairs, as far as I've seen only in the ends, not at the roots.
    And it's been kind of impossible so far to get rid of. I suspect its some kind of product build up, i use argan oil on my hair and i have been using it quite generously in the past. I also have basically never shampooed the lengths of my hair in the past two years, only the roots and i also regularly use a hair mask as a conditioner.

So far to try and get rid of it, I've used a clarifying shampoo but that did basically nothing, i then washed the ends with dish soap like four or five times. I did feel like it made a small difference, my hair felt a lot softer and not sticky anymore but the green film is still there. I have stopped using the hair mask and instead i now use a conditioner and i try to use the argan oil very sparingly.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I could try? Or has anyone ever experienced something similar? I am quite certain that its an actual film around the hair and not that the hair itself changed colour. My hair is also my natural hair colour, it has not been dyed or bleached or anything like that.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: I'm new and I need some help! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellison View Post
    Hi everyone!

So I've been growing my hair out for a while now, it's almost down to BSL. However a month or so ago I noticed that what I thought was just a green tint due to the light in my bathroom is actually a weird sort of greasy green film around some individual hairs, as far as I've seen only in the ends, not at the roots.
    And it's been kind of impossible so far to get rid of. I suspect its some kind of product build up, i use argan oil on my hair and i have been using it quite generously in the past. I also have basically never shampooed the lengths of my hair in the past two years, only the roots and i also regularly use a hair mask as a conditioner.

So far to try and get rid of it, I've used a clarifying shampoo but that did basically nothing, i then washed the ends with dish soap like four or five times. I did feel like it made a small difference, my hair felt a lot softer and not sticky anymore but the green film is still there. I have stopped using the hair mask and instead i now use a conditioner and i try to use the argan oil very sparingly.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I could try? Or has anyone ever experienced something similar? I am quite certain that its an actual film around the hair and not that the hair itself changed colour. My hair is also my natural hair colour, it has not been dyed or bleached or anything like that.
    First of all: welcome!

Are you a blonde, by chance? What kind of water do you have? Any change there?

A swimmer's shampoo (to chelate) might help. That's all I got.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ./53/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Hi, you tried dish soap which is generally (though not always) fairly alkaline with not much success. You know water doesn't do much. Does anything mildly acidic (vinegar rinse) solubilize it?
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

thank you for your replies!
    I am not blonde, maybe very very dark blonde but definitely not light blonde. We have very hard water and I think that may also have contributed to it.

I have tried doing an apple cider vinegar rinse a few times and I tried again yesterday, but I don't think it has made much of an impact, however I only used about 2 tablespoons in half a liter of water. I did remember that the plastic measuring jug that I used to use for oily rinses had also at some point gotten stained with some greasy film which I think was a mix of the hard water and the argan oil and I used diluted vinegar essence to get rid of that. So I do think something acidic should maybe help. I'm wondering if I should just try a higher concentration of the apple cider vinegar? Or even heavily diluted vinegar essence?

Type
    3a/F/M/iii

I do not have great advice for that! But welcome, and I definitely hope you can get that taken care of! is it just a *few*strands? Or a good number of individual strands?
    [Shaved | Pixie |Chin | Shoulder | APL |BSL | Waist | Onward...]

Length
    ./53/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I'm curious now as to what it might be. Have you ever dyed your hair? If so, possibly residual dye components (thinkiing blacks) you'll just have to grow out or worse cover up. Maybe the green comes from copper (from your plumbing say) deposited in or on the hair fiber? Chelating shampoo with EDTA higher up in the ingredients list than "fragrance" (typically used at 1%) may help and certainly wouldn't hurt.
    scalp > SL > MBL > WL > TBL > FTL > LHC > ???

it is a bigger number of strands, but not every single strand.
    I don't think it could be dye, i have bleached my hair in the past and then dyed over it with a dark blonde hair dye but i cut all my hair off into a pixie cut in fall 2018 and i'm quite certain that i cut all the dyed parts off. I will look into the shampoo you mentioned!

Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Any luck with removing? I second the idea of using a stronger apple cider vinegar rinse, I don't think 2 tablespoons in a liter of water would do all too much for the amount of cleansing you're looking for. If you're worried about using too strong an amount of ACV on your hair, you could always do a test strand from underneath. I also second looking into how hard the water is in your area. Sounds like it could be mineral buildup on the hair. Hope you've found some answers!

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    3a/M/C/ii

Sometimes I've found a little sun bathing to kill off any extra product. Come to think of it, a regular hot bath might help.